Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80mm Rotor Load

Greetings,
    I've given this form a quick look but can't find any data on the actual amp draw of the fan units with the recommended MotionRC setups.

What I'd like to learn is what is the actual amp draw (with say a 10% variability) for the stock 12 bladed 80mm fan, outrunner on 6 cells. I know the spec's show that the setup needs an 80 amp ESC. So I assume the current draw is less than 80 amps. I'd also like to know what is the current draw of the 12 bladed 80mm fan, 1750kv  inrunner on 6 cells. Again the spec's say to use a 100 amp ESC. 

Being as both motors are rated at 1750kv  I assume the outrunner is drawing close to the max 80 amps and that with the more efficient (less rpm drop at higher currents) inrunner that the current goes over the 80amp limit necessitating the upgrade to a 100 amp ESC.

I ask because I like to spec my electrical equipment to have about 20% head room. Just reading the spec'c has me scared a bit with the 80 amp ESC. Now if the actual current draw for the outrunner is in the low 70's I'd be comfortable with the stock set up.

Now if I need to go with a larger ESC to be comfortable I might find it worth the cost to upgrade the whole system to the 1750KV inrunner.

TIA,
    Konrad

RE: 80mm Rotor Load

Hi Konrad,
    We haven't had many, if any, reported issues with the stock 80A ESC not being adequate for the stock outrunner setup. This same setup is used on all five of Freewing's 80mm jets. I'd say it's a proven setup.

This stock outrunner setup on the stock recommended Admiral 6s 4000mAh 40c battery pulls ~68-70A for ~1550W.

The "Deluxe" inrunner setup (inrunner motor, inrunner-specific fan, and 100A ESC) pulls ~78-80A for ~1700W.

The actual speed/thrust difference depends on which 80mm jet it's installed in.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

RE: 80mm Rotor Load

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
      Hi Konrad,
      We haven't had many, if any, reported issues with the stock 80A ESC not being adequate for the stock outrunner setup. This same setup is used on all five of Freewing's 80mm jets. I'd say it's a proven setup.

This stock outrunner setup on the stock recommended Admiral 6s 4000mAh 40c battery pulls ~68-70A for ~1550W.

The "Deluxe" inrunner setup (inrunner motor, inrunner-specific fan, and 100A ESC) pulls ~78-80A for ~1700W.

The actual speed/thrust difference depends on which 80mm jet it's installed in.
      Thanks for the reply. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

And I'm glad to learn that you (MotionRC) also like to spec products with some head room. I too would (will) be comfortable with the 80 Amp ESC in the outrunner set up. 

I fully understand that my mileage may differ. BTW I've ordered both the F-5 and Mirage 2000 for my home in Morrison Co. So I expect my amp draw to be even less at 6,000 feet.

Thanks again,
      Konrad

Comment

Working...
      X