X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Charger for the 6S EDF Jets

I realize this is borderline off topic, but this forum is where the traffic, and the knowledge lies. ( move it if you must mod's)

I've come into needing to purchase a new charger, and was wondering if there is a consensus amongst you folks with piles of 6S's in the 5k range, AC power preferred

Venom Pro Quad

Hitec X4 AC Plus 4 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger

Prophet Sport Quad 4 x 100w

(maybe something I'm unaware of)

I use a Powerlab 6 fed by a 1000W power supply. I can charge 4 5000mah 6S packs at 2C in about 20 minutes from storage voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by bbaumer View Post
      I realize this is borderline off topic, but this forum is where the traffic, and the knowledge lies. ( move it if you must mod's)

I've come into needing to purchase a new charger, and was wondering if there is a consensus amongst you folks with piles of 6S's in the 5k range, AC power preferred

Venom Pro Quad

Forget the Hitec, it's only 50 watts per channel. It'll take you forever to charge a 6S 5000 mah pack
      The other two should at least be able to charge those packs at a true 1C rate. If that fits your needs I think either the Venom or the Prophet wooud be an OK choice.
      Just as a personal preference, I don't like multiple channel chargers, I also prefer a separate power supply, and I don't parallel charge. Most of the hobby electronic equipment we buy can't be repaired economically, if it can be repaired at all. Lose one channel and you've lost some of your desired functionality. Lose the power supply in an integrated AC charger and you've lost your chargers as well.
      I also happen to be pretty cheap.
      I use a 540 watt power supply.
      https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...18v-30amp.html
      Out of stock now, but there similar ones available, although probably pricier
      and two 250 watt chargers.
      https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...e-charger.html
      They need 18 volts to reach a 250 watt output.
      I can charge two 6S 5000 mah packs simultaneously at 2C.
      Each part of the system can be replaced at reasonable cost in case of a breakdown. They have worked flawlessly.
      I got my power supply and chargers on sale and paid less than $150.00. Replacements now would be more expensive, but not cost prohibitive.
      Having said that, there are at least three guys at my club field using Powerlab dual 8s (now OOP) and they are great. They all use 24 volt power supplies.
      Revolectrix seems to be an excellent source for high end chargers and power supplies.
      Last edited by davecee; Jun 30, 2018, 04:25 PM. Reason: added information

Comment

I have the Venom Pro Quad.
        Love the charger but is not the most powerful,it takes about 45min to charge 4 6s 5000 from storage.
        Not bad but only will do about 1.3c

Comment

Progressiverc.com

Icharger 308 Duo

Recently up graded to the Chargery S1500. Can do 8 6 S packs in 40 min at 1C
          Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

When you get into large capacity packs you need a high wattage rated charger

Most common chargers are 50 watt to 60 watt. They'll peak out at appx 4S 3300 mah at 1C charge rate for the 50 watt chargers. (I forget the ratings of the specific chargers in the Hitec X4 series, they have 50, 60 and 80 watt per port chargers in the series)

5000 mah * 25 volts (the number I use for charge calc on 6S) = 125000 mw-hr = 125 watt-hr, so you need a 125 watt charger to do a 6S 5000 mah at a 1C (1 hr from dead flat) charge rate.

Then with EDF you need to be able to charge more than one pack (or pack set) at a time or you end up sitting waiting to charge batteries all the time.

I have a couple of EDFs that use 12S 6000 mah. and the Freewing F-14 that can use the same pack-sets. (I use 4X 3S in series to make up the 12S)

I found you don't really save much by going to an off-brand charger. Might as well go for the Hitec. My main charger now is a Hitec X2-400 (400 watts each for 2 ports) I also have an older Hobby King "Quatro" (equal to the original 50 watts per port Hitec X4), a Hitec X2 plus (100 watts total...) and 2 Turnigy 420 chargers (4 cell @ 2 amp max charge rate)

At the field I power my chargers with a solar power system, 105 watts of panels plus 4 X 80 amp-hr LiFeMgPO4 batteries (retired from medical equipment appx 6 years ago for being out of date) I have pulled 100 amps from the solar system running my chargers and others. Never have run short of power to charge my stuff and other people's.
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Icharger 4010 or 406 DUO 10min charge at 24 volts in. R.
              AMA 424553

Comment

I use a Hitec and a powerlab 8.
                The Hitec was my first charger and now I just use it for my ednano a123.
                Powerlab 8 is my main charger and it serves me well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	706ECA5F-73AB-43FD-BED3-166CBDB6C4D3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	140676

Comment

I have a Revolectrix GT 1200 and a 1500w power supply from Lipo Solutions. Since I charge mostly 3s and 4s and some 6s, its probably a bit of overkill but I took advantage of a sale and got the setup for less than the cost of any ac/dc multiport charger. Since my field has ac power I can charge 4 of any lipo I have on a parallel adapter at home or at the field quickly with no stress on the equipment.

Comment

Venom Pro Quad

This is my charger of choice. I have 3 and they work awesome!! They charge a max of 4.4amps on 6s but that is more than enough. My 5000s are done in 45mins or less.

Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                    I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I bought this Prophet Sport Quad 4 X 100W AC/DC Charger from Horizon when it first came out, I've been very happy with it. It takes about an hour to charge four 6S 5000 batteries. The charger gooniac33 posted looks to have the same specs and it quite a bit less money.

I've been really happy with mine, I don;t know why Motion doesn't carry it as it's a really nice unit.

Prophet Sport Quad 4 X 100W AC/DC Charger DYNC2050 Dynamite Dynamite, Battery Chargers, Dynamite LiPo Chargers, Chargers, Keep Driving - Parts and Accessories for Your Vehicle Horizon Hobby

Comment

Thanks for all the advice fellas, a club member is going to make me a deal on the Prophet, very lightly used for $175. It should serve my purposes for now, I have 3 edfs with 5 batteries, I should be able to keep up just fine :)

Comment

Thanks for all the advice fellas, a club member is going to make me a deal on the Prophet, very lightly used for $175. It should serve my purposes for now, I have 3 edfs with 5 batteries, I should be able to keep up just fine :)
                          You can get a brand new one for $149!! The EV Peak is a steal!
                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

I may buy the EV Peak unit so I have a spare.

Comment

Working...
                            X