X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam ESC's

I am looking at which kind of ESC to get and would like to know if Dynam's esc held any chance compared to a ZTW. I copied the link from their website to view specs.
    http://www.dynam-rc.cn/Products_view.asp?id=53

RE: Dynam ESC's

Dynam not even close to the same quality!

Comment

ZTW makes a vast array of ESC classes, many rebranded and used as OEM. ROC and FMS ESC are entry level ZTW Beatles ESCs.

Are you aware of this for the Gecko brand/class
      http://www.hobbysquawk.com/thread-1760.html

I've never had an issue with a Dynam ESC. But like all my sizing of electrical components I aim to have at least 20% head room in the specifications.

Comment

On the subject to Detrum ESCs I have a 60A, 2-6 lixx SBEC unit that I pulled from a Dynam Meteor jet.
        Works great. What I'd like to learn is what is the  component that is added to the end of the control lead? I thought is might be a signal inverter but it isn't I also though it might be a voltage regulator but it doesn't appear to be. I'm stumped without pulling off the heat shrink, so what is it.

If you know or a MotionRC tech stumbles by please let me know.

TIA,
        Konrad
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Konrad
          On the subject to Detrum ESCs I have a 60A, 2-6 lixx SBEC unit that I pulled from a Dynam Meteor jet.
          Works great. What I'd like to learn is what is the  component that is added to the end of the control lead? I thought is might be a signal inverter but it isn't I also though it might be a voltage regulator but it doesn't appear to be. I'm stumped without pulling off the heat shrink, so what is it.

If you know or a MotionRC tech stumbles by please let me know.

TIA,
          Konrad
          I believe they call it a signal amplifier. It was put there to help with the low rpm stutter that is common with the detrum systems.

Comment

Amplifiers are usually used to process (boost and clean up) the signal received from the RX. This are usually used to address noise and voltage losses as a result of long signal leads.

Motor stuttering, loss of timing (commutation) are issues with the processing of EMF signals from motors windings. The way to address these issue is by changing the Inductors ( AKA transformers, choke, coil, etc.) on the ESC board. And/or change the firmware in the ESC's microprocessor. These are often beyond the ability of the retail customer. Some times changing the Timing and/or Frequency of the ESC's output can address these stuttering issues. Most modern ESC allow one to change these setting, ether by the TX stick programing or by the use of a programing card.

Thanks for giving me an area to explore. I'll test this ESC with and without the add on component on high and low inductance motors to test for stuttering. So far with the low wind, high Kv, EDF motor I've seen no such issues.

All the best,
            Konrad

Comment

I had this issue on my dynam 109 the low rpm surge could not be remedied by reprogramming the timing. MRC replaced it with a ZTW esc which cured the problem. The ztw esc had smoother throttle response and also a wider range of throttle allowing for lower and higher rpm than any of my other Dynams. There has been a thread in this forum about the (signal amplifier) I have tried them with or without it and found no difference.

Comment

Not saying that the unit you had didn't have an issue. Component tolerance can stack up against a product. I assume MotionRC replaced your faulty Detrum ESC with the mid class ZTW Mantis line of ESC.
                http://www.motionrc.com/ztw-mantis-45a-esc-with-5a-sbec/

Yep, addressing the stutter problem with RX signal amplification looks to be addressing the issue from the wrong side of the ESC.

I'll look for the thread.

I looked at the title of the posts in this forum and can't see which one might have addressed the Amplifier question. Can you post a link to the one you reference? I have to say I don't like the search function of this site.

All the best,
                Konrad

Comment

Not saying that the unit you had didn't have an issue. Component tolerance can stack up against a product. I assume MotionRc replaced your faulty Detrum ESC with the mid class ZTW Mantis line of ESC.
                  http://www.motionrc.com/ztw-mantis-45a-esc-with-5a-sbec/

Yep, addressing the stutter problem with RX signal amplification looks to be addressing the issue from the wrong side of the ESC.

I'll look for the thread.

All the best,
                  Konrad
                  I've been looking but haven't found the thread. I think someone asked, What is the thing on the throttle lead to the esc? Or something similar to that it has been a few months ago. Soon after is when Ryan posted a video about adjusting the timing on the detrum esc to help with this problem.

Comment

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
                    Konrad

Comment

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
                      Konrad
                      It was video if I recall correctly.

Comment

The MotionRC video on setting up the Dynam ESCs?

Comment

It's posted on all the dynam plane descriptions "more videos" Dynam esc setup and programing using the C188 Dusty.

Comment

Guys I must be deaf.

I did not hear any mention of a signal amplifier associated with the Detrum (Dynam) ESC.
                            http://www.motionrc.com/dynam-c-188-crop-duster-orange-1500mm-59-wingspan-pnp/#videos

They cover the sputtering at start up. And as I suspected it was a programing issue. The advance timing often winds up out of synchronization with the rotor. This is an EMF issue with the motor side inductors and microprocessor. I see no reason to think that signal conditioning of the control signal from the RX would have any effect on the symptoms shown in the video.

If MotionRC mentions the amplifier can you please give a time point in the video?

All the best,
                            Konrad

Comment

Guys I must be deaf.

I did not hear any mention of a signal amplifier associated with the Detrum (Dynam) ESC.
                              http://www.motionrc.com/dynam-c-188-crop-duster-orange-1500mm-59-wingspan-pnp/#videos

They cover the sputtering at start up. And as I suspected it was a programing issue. The advance timing often winds up out of synchronization with the rotor. This is an EMF issue with the motor side inductors and microprocessor. I see no reason to think that signal conditioning of the control signal from the RX would have any effect on the symptoms shown in the video.

If MotionRC mentions the amplifier can you please give a time point in the video?

All the best,
                              Konrad
                              Solve the problem by replacing the ESC as I do with all Dynam planes I purchase.  I think some get carried away with the form at times.  You are right about the start-up part.  I have limited knowledge on what a signal amplifier is related to ECS's.  If something does not work, I simply replace it.

Comment

No problems at all. All my Detrum (Dynam) ESCs have worked well (fit the application as intended).

The only application I can think of where they might be inappropriate is in a Heli and 3D type aircraft. Much like the ESC (60 amp SB ) supplied by Horizon Hobbies in the much more expensive E-flite Yak 54 and Splendors are inappropriate as they too have for to much latency in the throttle response. (In these applications I like to use the Castle Creations. 'Edge' or the ZTW 'Gecko'. In my NMPRA F1 ships I use YEP 80).

But for the low emotional investment type sport models that are these foam models, it is my experience that the Detrum ESC is more than adequate.

"If something does not work, I simply replace it."
                                As an engineer I find that solution abhorrent. :-) I strive to the best of my ability to understand the root cause of failures. To that end I try to understand the system as a whole. That 'add on' to the Detrum ESC has me perplexed.

"I think some get carried away with the form at times."
                                Not sure where or at whom this is aimed. I for one use the forums to exchange information. Not use it as a social substitute for being out at the flying field, Or put another way I don't think of these as a mutual admiration society.

As the topic is the Dynam ESC it appears that my curiosity about them would be appropriate. So if anybody knows or has a reference to what this is and its function I'd like to learn. It might very well be a signal amplifier. For all I know it might also be a filter circuit to remove voltage ripples from the BEC output. I don't know as I haven't pull back the heat shrink to examine the unit.

All the best,
                                Konrad

Comment

Konrad, you are correct the device in the throttle lead is not mentioned in the video. I didn't explain myself well. The video appeared about the same time as the previous discussion about what was installed in the throttle lead. This was also about the same time that I had the issue with the motor surge on my new dynam 109 once you get them off idle the stutter goes away. My best guess this discussion about a year ago at that time Dynam stated that it was a signal amplifier to help clear up this issue.

Comment

I think the true purpose of the add on has been solved here.
                                    http://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/ele...t-low-throttle. It is addressing the pulse instability coming out of some RX's.

Comment

So, about the amplifier. I'm having the stutter at low throttle. Think replacing the short wire,amplifyer would fix this? Tried setting timing and didn't remove the servo wires,now retract doesn't work.And still have surge. Anyone have any problems like this? Thanks Shake

Comment

I'm afraid just about everybody has those same problems with Dynam birds. If you can't change the timing and get rid of the hesitation on the throttle(if it's a new plane from motion) you need to change the esc. That little thing plugged inline dose not help. Most all just replace the esc. Contact motion and they will maybe warrant out the esc and retracts. both are notorious for being unreliable or bad out of the box.
                                        Dewey l

Comment

Working...
                                        X