You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cross reference an RC electric motor?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cross reference an RC electric motor?

I'm building an RC airplane that calls for a Rimfire .46 42-60-800 OUTRUNR motor. Unfortunately it falls outside of my budget. I would like to know what other brands of motors and sizes are comparable to it. However, I've never had to figure out something like this before. Can someone recommend another motor with the same power output like the Rimfire that costs less? Also, how do I read the numbers for that motor to be able to cross reference it the next time this happens? I'd appreciate any information offered.

I believe you can any 4260-800kv motor
    AMA 424553

Comment

Usually the numbers are diameter (42mm), motor length (60mm) and kV (rpm per volt). But two things to be careful about. First is basic design of the prop adapter and X mount bolt patterns. Many motors have differences there. If you are replacing an existing motor this may be important but in your case probably not. Second is what they consider motor length. Some measure the overall motor, some just the magnet or windings area.

My suggestion is open a picture of the rimfire 4260-800kv motor and then google "4260-800kv motor" and compare what comes up. A small difference in kV, say a 710, can still be used but a smaller kV turns less rmp and if a big difference may mean a different size prop would need to be used. If you get a different physical size, the 4260 number it may not be big enough to power the plane, to small or big to fit in the plane or other concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishbug View Post
        I'm building an RC airplane that calls for a Rimfire .46 42-60-800 OUTRUNR motor. Unfortunately it falls outside of my budget. I would like to know what other brands of motors and sizes are comparable to it. However, I've never had to figure out something like this before. Can someone recommend another motor with the same power output like the Rimfire that costs less? Also, how do I read the numbers for that motor to be able to cross reference it the next time this happens? I'd appreciate any information offered.
        I would be looking for something with a similar power output ( around 1100watts and a similar size and weight.) Depends on type of plane and what you want the plane to do, I normally go on 125 to 150watts per pound for aerobatic warbird ( all up take off weight incl batteries ) 6lb plane 750 to 900w. 7.5lb plane 900w to 1100w.

Power system for a couple of my planes below :-

Mustang P51D. 1400mm, 35dm2 AUW with3000 mah 40c turnigy 4s 5.5lb wl 59g/dm2 4.5to 5 mins. Fms 3948 760KV 56amp max 860w max 18v max. power required 700w esc 70amp with 90amp burst. 56amp 830w on 12x8tgs 2 blade. 93% throttle curve. 16.2v 4s .

Black Horse Hurricane 1500mm 6.5lb 37.8dm WA WL 77gms/dm2 power req 785 to 940w SK3 4240 740kv rated at 870w 50amp max. Hobbywing Skywalker 80mp esc draws 51amp 960watts full throttle on a12x8tgs prop with 5 cell lipo

Comment

Working...
        X