X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JP Hobbies EDF

I am looking at the 90mm and 120mm edf units but do not know if the quality is there. Anybody have experience with these units. I saw RC Informer did some videos and they looked pretty good.

EXCELLENT quality... Perfectly balanced. Extremely well built.

I have a Valkyrie on 8s with the JP90... Unreal and very unique sound.

I'm a little reluctant to try the 6s due to the weight and moderate thrust though. We'll see, I still may try it.

Comment

I have a JP 90mm 8S fan in my Stinger 90 and love it. Running off a Castle Creations Talon 120A HV ESC on medium timing. Super smooth and like Alpha10 said it sounds incredible. The quality is excellent.

Comment

Thanks Alpha and RCjetdude for the info. I was trying to decide carbon fiber or metal. Ie. Hacker or the JP hobbies both are good and equal weight and thrust.

Comment

I own a 90mm JP power system as well and it has been phenomenal. It has been balanced with precision, well engineered and manufactured, light, durable, and performs great. It does have a unique sound (some love it and others don't), and it can be finicky with various ESC and their settings. Do enough ground testing to ensure that the power system runs smoothly with whatever ESC and timing setting you decide to use, as incorrect ESC timing with outrunner they use tends to make the motor skip and not run smoothly throughout the RPM range.

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
            I own a 90mm JP power system as well and it has been phenomenal. It has been balanced with precision, well engineered and manufactured, light, durable, and performs great. It does have a unique sound (some love it and others don't), and it can be finicky with various ESC and their settings. Do enough ground testing to ensure that the power system runs smoothly with whatever ESC and timing setting you decide to use, as incorrect ESC timing with outrunner they use tends to make the motor skip and not run smoothly throughout the RPM range.
            Thanks TCAT for the great info. Really leaning to the 120mm with a Castle Talon 160 for my next project. I also like how the motor leads run up and out in their enclosed path.

Comment

T-Cat's Stinger 90 does really well on that JP fan! As he said, plan to tinker with settings. It may not be an issue with your setup, or it might. Difficult to predict. But worth the effort.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

That's a very good point added... It's really a love it or don't care for it fan.

At first I thought it was too quiet and metallic sounding, but it definitely grew on me and it seems to impress a lot more people than it deters.

It also produces the most white noise out of any fan I've tried, that's for sure. A 120mm JP would surely sound killer!

Comment

Originally posted by wolpertinger View Post

Thanks TCAT for the great info. Really leaning to the 120mm with a Castle Talon 160 for my next project. I also like how the motor leads run up and out in their enclosed path.
                  I would imagine the 120 would great sounding and performing. With it being an outrunner, one of the noticeable benefits in this case is the motor lead location through the EDF unit. It's excellent to be able to have it concealed and in no way impeding airflow. The blade clearance tolerance is also minimal, which is nice to get as much thrust as possible, and the no worry of the balance of the spinner since the spinner is fixed on the EDF, not the fan unit. There are some smart designs built into these units for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    T-Cat's Stinger 90 does really well on that JP fan! As he said, plan to tinker with settings. It may not be an issue with your setup, or it might. Difficult to predict. But worth the effort.
                    Thanks man! It's a fun unit and does great, especially in a sport jet like the Stinkarooni. Most people at the field ask if the jet is on 10S or above, which is funny considering it's on 6S. The batteries may be on the heavy side, but the plane is relatively light, and I modified the battery bay to sit the LiPo much further back, as it wouldn't come close to achieving proper CG without doing so, since the EDF unit is so light and the LiPo's are heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

That's a very good point added... It's really a love it or don't care for it fan.

At first I thought it was too quiet and metallic sounding, but it definitely grew on me and it seems to impress a lot more people than it deters.

It also produces the most white noise out of any fan I've tried, that's for sure. A 120mm JP would surely sound killer!
                      Ha-ha, it's definitely a unique sound. There definitely isn't much middle ground with people who hear it. They either absolutely fall in love, or are grossed out, LOL. I personally don't mind it at all, and like you said, more people say they love it than don't. Performance is my number one priority, and sound follows down the list.

Comment

Ha-ha, it's definitely a unique sound. There definitely isn't much middle ground with people who hear it. They either absolutely fall in love, or are grossed out, LOL. I personally don't mind it at all, and like you said, more people say they love it than don't. Performance is my number one priority, and sound follows down the list.
                        Yup! See I love both performance and sound, but I don't mind trading a little speed for better sound... But not much haha!

You guys be the judge. :)

https://youtu.be/_ZwkMp5CEEQ

Comment

Yup! See I love both performance and sound, but I don't mind trading a little speed for better sound... But not much haha!

You guys be the judge. :)

https://youtu.be/_ZwkMp5CEEQ
                          that sounds amazing!!!
                          Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                          I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Thanks man! Definitely unique! TONS of white noise too

Comment

Really great info and a lot to consider when dropping Benjamin's but it looks like I will be dropping this into my Cougar. Let the build begin.

:Cool: for the help.

Comment

The 70mm is a blast. It's less aggressive in the current department, but makes a heck of a fun plane, especially on a efficiently ducted one (even foam). I love 70mm jets for their small size, transportability, power to weight ratio (not loaded down with all the fun bling of the larger jets), smaller investment, and still look good doing it. It sounds better to me than my 90mm, LOL.

Comment

The 70mm is a blast. It's less aggressive in the current department, but makes a heck of a fun plane, especially on a efficiently ducted one (even foam). I love 70mm jets for their small size, transportability, power to weight ratio (not loaded down with all the fun bling of the larger jets), smaller investment, and still look good doing it. It sounds better to me than my 90mm, LOL.
                                  I wonder how it'd due in the FW V2 F-16?

Comment

That thing sounds GREAT!!! I have the Freewing 8S set up in my T-45, and the performance seems to be about the same, though it is hard to determine by looking at a video. At almost 100 dollars cheaper, with similar performance, I think I will stick with Freewing though!!! Love the Valkyrie by the way, looks pretty sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kloverzero View Post
                                      That thing sounds GREAT!!! I have the Freewing 8S set up in my T-45, and the performance seems to be about the same, though it is hard to determine by looking at a video. At almost 100 dollars cheaper, with similar performance, I think I will stick with Freewing though!!! Love the Valkyrie by the way, looks pretty sweet!!
                                      Thanks! Yeah, the T tail's definitely something different ha! Great flier too!

Comment

I wonder how it'd due in the FW V2 F-16?
                                        I would imagine it would, and sound good too since there is some cheater vents on that F-16 that will make some additional turbulent air and noise. Haha

Comment

Working...
                                        X