Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fly with a new Spektrum 8 channel Xmitter using the Spektrum $39 6 ch receivers in all my planes.
    I lost 2 planes last year due to no control. The Prometheus Bipe was flying straight and level coming straight down the runway when it just decided to do a barrel roll right into the ground. Radio had no control of the plane. The second one, my first Avanti, after numerous flights with no problems got what I call bumped after which I had full control of when it decided to roll upside down and dive inverted into the ground.
    I use this radio in everything I fly, some of which have to many flights to count, the small ones I fly at home, without so much of a bump or twitch, which leads me to believe the radio xmitter is not at fault.
    I know a lot of guys on here seem to prefer the Lemon receivers, and also hear good things about the newer Admiral receivers.
    Not sure if receiver placement is a big issue on these electric planes with the bigger batteries. I have just really gotten into electrics big time the last couple years after 20+ years flying gas planes with only a few radio issues. All of those planes were wood kit built gassers with either plastic or painted cloth covering, no foam or giant 6S batteries...
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Comment

• I can say I'm no longer a fan of spektrum, but so many others have excellent luck with theirs I've lost 3 planes because of signal lost at 200M. On consecutive flights however in separate areas. I might replace the antenna again and see if that's what was at fault. Mine is the first gen dx8.

Comment

• Tom so far I have never had any issues out of the Admirals . I am slowly switching all of my stuff over to them . I've been using them since they came out . A big reason behind my choice is knowing that MRC will stand behind everything they sell ! I know that I can reach some one for support if and when I need it . There was lots and lots of work put into them before they released them

Bryan
        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

• I've got about a dozen of the Admiral receivers and they are 100% so far, I have bought several of the knockoff Spektrum and Lemon receivers on eBay and they are useless. If the Spektrums and Lemons aren't in a factory box stay away from them, from now on I'm using the Admirals.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
            I fly with a new Spektrum 8 channel Xmitter using the Spektrum $39 6 ch receivers in all my planes.

Do you mean this receiver? https://www.horizonhobby.com/radios/...eiver-spmar610
            I also use a DX-8 G2 and I've used the receiver I linked in my Mig-21 with absolutely no problems.
            I lost 2 planes last year due to no control. The Prometheus Bipe was flying straight and level coming straight down the runway when it just decided to do a barrel roll right into the ground. Radio had no control of the plane. The second one, my first Avanti, after numerous flights with no problems got what I call bumped after which I had full control of when it decided to roll upside down and dive inverted into the ground.
            I use this radio in everything I fly, some of which have to many flights to count, the small ones I fly at home, without so much of a bump or twitch, which leads me to believe the radio xmitter is not at fault.
            I know a lot of guys on here seem to prefer the Lemon receivers, and also hear good things about the newer Admiral receivers.

I also use genuine Lemon receivers and have had no problems except one that arrived DOA. The Admiral receivers are made by Lemon and I would expect them to be just as good.
            Not sure if receiver placement is a big issue on these electric planes with the bigger batteries. I have just really gotten into electrics big time the last couple years after 20+ years flying gas planes with only a few radio issues. All of those planes were wood kit built gassers with either plastic or painted cloth covering, no foam or giant 6S batteries...

Foam should not be a problem. Placement is VERY important. I place my receiver antennae ends (the only actual receiving part of the antennae) as far as possible from my battery pack, as far as possible from each other, and at a right angle to each other. I presently do not use receivers with satellite although I have a few and will do so in the future. I've not had any flight problems at all with DSMX transmitters or receivers. I did lose 3 airframes a few years back with genuine Spektrum DSM2 receivers and a DSM2 Tx. I avoided Spektrum for a good while back then, but I'm happy with DSMX. I did some bench testing and found that Lemon receivers seem to reboot more quickly from brownout than do the Spektrum receivers I tested. The Lemon receivers would also function at lower supplied voltage. I'm not a radio tech, my tests were just observational.
            Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X