X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Eagle AL-3

I got a new AL-3 on the way. Going to install it in my Dynam SU-26. She likes to buck and whether vane in windy conditions. Hoping this will smooth it out. I'm new to the whole GYRO thing, But an experienced flier. Thought it would be a good gyro to get started with then work into an A3 later on. Being my first gyro, if anybody has feed back on set up, or anything to help out, I'm all ears. Will keep all of you posted on progress and long haul (durability) reports. Should see my gyro in a few more days, delayed do to bad whether.  :cool:
    Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

RE: Hobby Eagle AL-3

I have four recommendations based on my experience:
    1. read the manual top to bottom
    2. do extensive static / ground testing to make sure the gyro is moving the control surfaces in the correct direction.
    3. (most important) make sure to use a three position switch to control the gyro, this way you can have Gyro Off (deactivated) as one of the switch positions.  Test this on the ground to make sure the gyro can be deactivated. You want to be able to turn off the gyro in case the gyro does not behave as expected due to a setup issue.
    4. use 3D mode only at high altitudes until you have confirmed the gyro is setup properly.  If the gyro is not setup correctly, the plane can move erratically in 3D mode and flying at higher altitudes will give you time to deactivate or go into normal mode.  

If you follow the instructions and do your pre-flight checks you will absolutely enjoy the stabilizing effect of the Eagle gyros.  Once you master your A3-L definitely give the A3 a try; the auto leveling and auto hover features are very cool.

happy flying,
    Mark

Comment

Thanks Mark for your input. Demo videos are saying the same thing. I do have a question though on the 3 position switch. I'm running a spectrum DX6I TX, and a AR610 RX. What little I know so far, I plan on using the flap switch for off, and normal mode. But I hear I can incorporate that 3rd position through mixing the flap switch. Same as you would to mix your flaps. Flaps off, Switch off., Flaps half way, and flaps full throw. Will this mixing allow for me to get into 3D mode when in flight? I havent gone to deep into the spectrum manual yet. Its windy here a lot so havent had a real need for flaps, and the SU26 dont have flaps anyway. Or retracts so the gear channel would be open to. So whats your advice. Thanks

Comment

Well I got my AL-3 today. Open the box and no instructions what so ever. Sucks to be me.

Comment

The instructions are online. There are videos also

Comment

:D  Well installed my AL-3 today. Seems to be operating as it should during the ground testing. All control surfaces moving correctly. Now all I need is a dry day. DX6I is going to work fine. After going over the manual for the DX6I, The flap switch is designed also as a 3 position GYRO switch using some mixing. The flap switch is even marked GYRO below the word flap. I cant wait to take her up. Gyro installed in my Dynam SU-26. Will let you know how it goes.  :cool:

Comment

:P What a BEAUTIFUL day in the Pacific NW, Clear skies and sunshine today. A little on the cold side but doable. 

Took up the SU-26 by Dynam. AL-3 Hobby Eagle Gyro installed. Took her way high and flipped the gyro on.
              SWEET! The gyro performed flawlessly.  :D It smoothed out my twitchy thumbs and flew so gracefully. Where I really noticed the gyro working is when is was time to land. Smooth as butter, no weather vane action, and tracked true.
              Apparently I hit the set up on the first try. On my second flight I turned the gain setting up a little. Went from the 11 oclock position to the 12oclock position and the control surfaces chattered in a high speed dive. So I turn the gain back down and she flew perfectly. Like I stated, SMOOTH AS BUTTER! I'm very pleased. I flew all day with out an issue and greased every landing. What a great day. Havent tried 3D mode yet. Was having so much fun in normal mode, I forgot about 3D mode. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine. Happy Landings from the Pacific NW. :cool:

Comment

gotta jump on those nice days when you have them in December!! I'm jealous !

Comment

Really glad you liked the Gyro, it can help take some of the pressure off and make the flying more enjoyable!!
                  Best regards,
                  Wayne

Comment

Wayne, Your 100% right! My biggest stress free moment is landing. We all know that the flying part is pretty easy, and take offs can be a challenge until I learned throttle control. But landing I think is the biggest challenge for anybody, Especially when theres a cross wind. The Hobby Eagle AL-3 worked flawlessly during a cross wind. All I had to do is line her up with the run way and start reducing throttle on approach. Found my plane floating like an umbrella during decent. Perfect landing every time. I cant say enough about it. I wish I would a got one sooner. Thanks for responding to my post. :cool:  

Comment

UPDATE: Flew my SU26M extensively today with the Hobby Eagle AL-3. OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!! :D
                      I have a routine building, One of the things I like to do is bust out a tight split S, ending up inverted, then rolling into a knife edge. Then bank turn the knife edge, then into a rolling turn. The added stability of the AL-3 makes these aerobatics maneuvers done with confidence. I can perform the same routine with the gyro turned off but just not as smooth. I always make sure the gyro is on for landings. The AL-3 makes childs play out of landing in a cross wind. The SU26m is my first 3D plane, and using the AL-3 has made learning 3D fun and exciting. 3D mode on the AL-3 is cool and all but found its just as easy in normal mode. The AL-3 also smoothed out my twitchy thumbs on this smaller plane. And no more worries on a windy day. No bucking, no hassles, no fear. Just smooth flying, and landings in any conditions. I highly recommend the AL-3 for any plane but especially for your smaller birds. I dont need a stabilizer in my 1450mm planes, but any wing spand around 1200mm or smaller, GET ONE!!! Will make your smaller plane fly it has a 6 foot wing span. Its been a real treat learning aerobatics with AL-3 in line. When I first started learning 3D, I thought I'm gonna being buying a new plane soon per twitch and crash. The AL-3 took care of those feelings, and built the confidence needed to perform. Excellent product. Have another one the shelf just in case. Happy Landings  :cool:

Comment

Hey Guys,

I have not tried one of these Hobby Eagle gyros yet, but I do have a couple that I bought from MRC that I want to try out. I just finished the build on the 1450mm FMS P-40, and am using a 6 channel Specktrum receiver. Because the P-40 uses all 6 channels, would I still be able to use the Hobby Eagle gyro and be able to switch it on and off? Seems like I would need a 7 channel rx or more if I want to keep that feature. Have any of you guys run into this, and what did you do?

Thanks!

Comment

If you have all the channels of the receiver used, there's not gonna be any way to turn the gyro on and off since it won't be plugged in. It will constantly be on. Buy a bigger receiver

Comment

Thanks Weedsnagger,

That is pretty much what I thought the answer would be, just looking for verification. I think that based on my experience with the Dynam 109, I will first fly the P-40 without a gyro and see how that goes. These larger birds really seem pretty stable and may not need the gyro. I did follow the forum and review recommendations of using 70-75mm as the CG for the P-40 rather than what the instructions noted. I would much rather be a bit nose heavy than tail heavy on the first flight.

If the weather will ever clear, I hope to be adding another flight report soon on the P-40!

Comment

Greetings from the Pacific NW, Your P40 is a very stable flying bird, and will land like a dream with out flaps.
                              If you plan on using flaps then yes you will need a 7 channel TX and RX to operate the Gyro.
                              You need to be able to turn the gyro on and off during flight, especially on the maiden flight of the gyro installed. 
                              On the maiden u wanna take her high in the ski then turn on the gyro and see how your plane reacts. If its not hooked up right or not tuned right, you wanna be able to be high enough to recover flipping the gyro off in the process. 

If your not going to use the flaps on your P40, Then your DX6I will do. Just hook the Gyro into the flaps channel on the receiver. Use the flap switch to turn gyro on and off. You wont be able to use 3D mode on the gyro, but you wont need this option on a P40. I dont even find a need for 3D mode on my SU26M 3D plane. But its a nice option to have when your in 3D training. Hope this helps you out and Happy landings from the PNW. 

Comment

Thanks Fly Boy,

Still waiting on weather here to be able to fly. This weekend isn't looking good at all. Storms later today, and winds are 14mph SSE, with gusts 20+, and lots of rain today. Tomorrow isn't looking much better. There is a cold front coming in, so next week will be pretty chilly, and I will have to end my vacation next week and return to work. Hopefully it won't be long before I can maiden the P-40 though.

I did fly the 800mm version of the P-40 a week ago, and it did really nicely. Mine is a version 2, but with the weaker motor, so I call it version 1.5. It flies well, but is definitely short on power. I tried a 3 cell in it and that definitely helped. I was even able to land it nicely on grass with no roll overs, so I am very hopeful its big brother will do even better!

Thanks again for the help and tips on the gyro. I will go for the first couple of flights without a gyro, and then reevaluate. If all is stable, I will likely leave it without and save the gyro for another plane.

Enjoy your flying out there in the Pacific NW!

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier
                                  Thanks Fly Boy,

Still waiting on weather here to be able to fly. This weekend isn't looking good at all. Storms later today, and winds are 14mph SSE, with gusts 20+, and lots of rain today. Tomorrow isn't looking much better. There is a cold front coming in, so next week will be pretty chilly, and I will have to end my vacation next week and return to work. Hopefully it won't be long before I can maiden the P-40 though.

I did fly the 800mm version of the P-40 a week ago, and it did really nicely. Mine is a version 2, but with the weaker motor, so I call it version 1.5. It flies well, but is definitely short on power. I tried a 3 cell in it and that definitely helped. I was even able to land it nicely on grass with no roll overs, so I am very hopeful its big brother will do even better!

Thanks again for the help and tips on the gyro. I will go for the first couple of flights without a gyro, and then reevaluate. If all is stable, I will likely leave it without and save the gyro for another plane.

Enjoy your flying out there in the Pacific NW!
                                  Loneflier, Theres no doubt your gonna find that 1400mm P40 a dream to fly. Because of the wing design its going to be very stable and smooth as butter in the ski. When I first got my P51 1400mm it to was a dream. Flys so easy a cave man could do it. LOL,  My only problem was my first couple of landings were pretty rough, but by landing number 4 I started greasen it. The bigger the wing span the easier it all is. 

Its been cold and wet here to. Not much flying time as of late. But this Tuesday suppose to be clear blue skis and sunshine and 50 degrees if the weather guy nails it. So wish me luck, Gearing up for Tuesday. 
                                  Hope you get a day of sunshine before you vacation ends. Happy Landings and good luck, and your very welcome for any thing that may save you money. (crash) 

Comment

Working...
                                  X