X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spektrum DX9 vs Futaba 14SG

I am trying to get a good comparison of the Spektrum DX9 and the Futaba 14SG. I currently have the Futaba 14SG and would like to add a airplane gyro/flight stabilizer to it. Currently Futaba does not offer on integrated into any of their receivers. The Spektrum line does have this option.

Am I also correct that I can use Futaba servos with the Spektrum receivers?

RE: Spektrum DX9 vs Futaba 14SG

I have the Spektrum DX9 and I have got to say, it is a great radio. I do not use the Spektrum receivers with the integrated gyro. I opted for the Eagle gyros that Motion sells. They are wonderful and cheaper, and easier to set up.
    Addicted to planes!

Comment

I've been very satisfied with the Spektrum AR635. It can give you a headache sometimes when making adjustments. But like other new things, after awhile, no big thing. As far as cost. The 635 is a full range receiver. If your patient and shop around online. You kind find them for $40-$60, new in the box. So, depending on what you want. Online I found a good buy. Two AR635's for $80.
      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I finally got a chance tonight to put my hands on a DX9 and was impresses with the radio.

Quick Observations:

1. The throttle does not come configured with the ratchet. The manual indicates that I can manually make this change.

2. The on/off switch is easier to turn on and off than the Futaba and did not appear to have definite feel that it was on. The Futaba 14SG switch position is vertical and the DX9 is horizontal.

3. I like the scroll button the DX9 better that the wheel on the 14SG. I found it easier to control.

4. The transmitter on the Futaba 14SG appears to flex less than the Spektrum DX9 based on my initial impressions.

6. The channels near the upper hand rest on the DX9 are horizontal vs vertical on the 14SG. I seem to prefer the 14SG (Slide Lever) but it is not a game changer.

7. The Futaba 14SG has S.BUS2 and the Spektrum DX9 does not have a similar connection.

8. The Spektrum DX9 has an option receiver with integrated stabilization. This feature is not offered on the Futaba 14SG. I will be purchasing the Hobby Eagle A3 Super II when they become available from MotionRC.

Again thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by PLCMAN58
          Thanks for the replies. I finally got a chance tonight to put my hands on a DX9 and was impresses with the radio.

Quick Observations:

1. The throttle does not come configured with the ratchet. The manual indicates that I can manually make this change.

2. The on/off switch is easier to turn on and off than the Futaba and did not appear to have definite feel that it was on. The Futaba 14SG switch position is vertical and the DX9 is horizontal.

3. I like the scroll button the DX9 better that the wheel on the 14SG. I found it easier to control.

4. The transmitter on the Futaba 14SG appears to flex less than the Spektrum DX9 based on my initial impressions.

6. The channels near the upper hand rest on the DX9 are horizontal vs vertical on the 14SG. I seem to prefer the 14SG (Slide Lever) but it is not a game changer.

7. The Futaba 14SG has S.BUS2 and the Spektrum DX9 does not have a similar connection.

8. The Spektrum DX9 has an option receiver with integrated stabilization. This feature is not offered on the Futaba 14SG. I will be purchasing the Hobby Eagle A3 Super II when they become available from MotionRC.

Again thanks for the replies.
          Having never had a Futaba, I can only talk for the Spektrum. Yes, you can set up the ratchet very easily with a screw adjustment from the back. I did that with mine. The Spektrum also has the availability of 250 models. Sounds a bit much, but you never know. 
          However, for me the best feature and primarily the reason I bought it, is the talking. It is simply a joy to flip a switch and the radio says, "Gyro Initialized", or "Landing Flaps". This is good if you forgot exactly what position you might have had something and your plane is to far out visually to confirm. You never have to look at the radio, to me that's Big! And the timer also, you don't have to keep glancing at the screen to see how much time you have left, it counts it down for you,audibly!
           So for this alone I would get the Spektrum. Just my two cents worth. 
          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Thanks, that is a feature that the LHS did not highlight to me. I have downloaded the DX9 manual and doing a direct comparison to the Futaba 14SG. I am going to order one of the new A3 Super II Flight Stabilizers when they become available to use with the Futaba via the S.BUS connection.

Comment

Working...
            X