Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown out?

Hi All
    I have the fms skytrainer 182. Every once in a while the motor will quit during flight. It usually happens shortly after takeoff. I have all other controls, and have to dead stick it in for a controlled crash. Is this what they call a brown out? or do I just have a screwy esc
    This is the only plane I have that does this. Anyone else experience this problem?

Jeff

RE: Brown out?

Hi Jeff,

I also have the FMS 1400MM Skytrainer. In fact, I just got back from flying it. From what you are describing, I don't think it is a brown out. My understanding of a brown out is that you would lose all control for a brief period. Since you still have control of the plane, just no throttle, I think there is something else wrong here. You might try reprogramming the ECS and test it on the bench to see if that helps.

The Skytrainer is a great flying model, I hope you can get this issue resolved.

Comment

Thanks Loneflier. I agree its a great flying plane. Very relaxing flyer. I'll try reprogramming the esc and hopefully that fixes it. I don't think it would have anything to do with the motor, so I think we are on the right track with the diagnosis of it pertaining to the esc. Its just weird that it only happens every once in a while
      Thanks for your input!

Jeff

Comment

Hello Crunch,
        As Loneflier mentioned in his thought on the brownout, he is spot on. It is definitely something fruity with the ESC. Along with ESC reprogramming, I would also recommend as a starting point for trouble shooting the issue by rebinding the Rx and then resetting the throttle range. If the issue still continues intermittently after that then swap out the ESC because it is not reliable. Intermittent electronic failures are a bear for analysis. It would be another story if it was on a car/boat but on a plane you just really don't have that luxury of messing with it. Just some friendly advice from when I was a RF engineer in my younger years.
        Best Regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks for the advice OV10. I think I'm just going to order a new ESC. Like you said, It would be different in a boat or car. A new ESC is cheaper than taking a chance and ending up buying a new plane. I have been looking to rebuild an old Lanyu corsair, (that I'm not very fond of) so I'll try the troublesome ESC in that one.

Jeff

Comment

Just to add my two cents worth, I had the same thing happen on my Pandora, smoked the ESC and almost took the plane with it.  I ordered a 50A ESC which is 40% more than the original 30A, but its like buying insurance.  Ended up getting another for my second Pandora so they both remain the same, this way if I wnat to swap out different props, I can.

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Just saw this thread. When I have had a brown out, the light in my receiver will flash indicating it had a loss of signal. Several times after the plane had landed and I was changing the battery I noticed the receiver flashing and wondered what that meant. If you were able to see your receiver and didn't see any flashing then your radio and receiver were talking OK throughout the flight.
              Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
                Hi All
                I have the fms skytrainer 182. Every once in a while the motor will quit during flight. It usually happens shortly after takeoff. I have all other controls, and have to dead stick it in for a controlled crash.  Is this what they call a brown out? or do I just have a screwy esc
                This is the only plane I have that does this. Anyone else experience this problem?

Jeff
                My V1 FMS skytrainer had a similar issue... It had a lot of issues, (one of them was I got it from Nitro Planes) but the issue you are talking about I fixed by replacing the ESC with a 50a ESC, and a E-flite power 25 motor. No more power train issues. I also replaced all of the servos, got rid of the FMS TX/ RX, and changed the landing gear, by the time I was done with the upgrades the foam was the only thing FMS. :D
                Flight Risk (Sean)
                AMA # 986105

Comment

One of my friend have skytrainer and it is working great.

Comment

I have the skytrainer. I had a similar problem. When taxiing out to the runway, the motor would stop. I still had control of rudder and all other control surfaces. Then i got the tones as if the esc was initializing. I never lost flight controls. It did this twice. I reset the throttle throw on the esc, and luckily it hasn't happened again. Many flights since with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X