X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inexpensive receiver/stabilizer device

I note that there are some inexpensive ($25) 6 channel receivers with stabilization on the market now. I know that there are expensive devices and the plug and play types already available from other companies.

1. Are these inexpensive devices any good?
    2. Does MRC see these coming on the market to sell?

Thanks,
    Bill

RE: Inexpensive receiver/stabilizer device

Originally posted by Bill
    I note that there are some inexpensive ($25) 6 channel receivers with stabilization on the market now. I know that there are expensive devices and the plug and play types already available from other companies.

1. Are these inexpensive devices any good?
    2. Does MRC see these coming on the market to sell?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Well, let me tell you my experiences with the "Orange" receivers with stabilization. I used to exclusively buy these receivers for my Spektrum radio. I installed them in all my planes when I first started flying two years ago. Very inexpensive so I could afford to have them in stock all the time. They work fine, HOWEVER, I had two losses of signal on two different occasions with one resulting in a total loss of my plane. 
     I became immediately gunshy flying and was worried I was going to lose another plane. I still use them in my inexpensive planes that I have had a while, and wouldn't really mind if they got trashed. I have one in my Calypso glider and it has worked fine.  I will not use them anymore in my other planes. I won't risk losing a $300 plane because I didn't buy a decent receiver and gyro. I now buy Spektrum receivers and I have using various versions of the Eagle gyros that Motion sells. Work great!
    Addicted to planes!

Comment

I also use the Orange receivers, and have never had an issue with them, but, like retired flyer, I also only use them in my less expensive planes. That said, the two times I did have an issue was with Spekrum receivers in the RTF and BNF planes. I've not had any issues with Spectrum Rx that I've bought separately.

Comment

Where do you guys find these "orange" receivers. I have heard a lot about these and seems some people like them and some people hate them. I have been using spectrum receivers, but would like to try an orange rx to see for myself how they perform

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
          Where do you guys find these "orange" receivers. I have heard a lot about these and seems some people like them and some people hate them.  I have been using spectrum receivers, but would like to try an orange rx to see for myself how they perform

Jeff
          The Orange stuff is from HobbyKing. Like I had said, I used to use, and still do in some cases, these receivers and receiver/gyro combo's and they usually (99%) of the time work fine.  It's that one time I don't trust with my expensive plane that worried me.  I suppose a Spektrum receiver and crap out also, but I would rather put my confidence in those for my big stuff.  It can happen, it's electronics, but at least I tried to put in the best.
          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Another aspect to consider when choosing between genuine Spektrum receivers and clone brands like Orange, is that Spektrum stands behind their product in a way I never experienced with Orange. If a Spektrum receiver is the suspected cause of a plane crash, their technicians are in Illinois and are available to hear the details of the situation, and test the receiver to reach a comprehensive conclusion and possible partial coverage. If an Orange receiver is suspected of causing a plane crash, good luck in getting anyone on a phone to help you or back the product.
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
              Another aspect to consider when choosing between genuine Spektrum receivers and clone brands like Orange, is that Spektrum stands behind their product in a way I never experienced with Orange. If a Spektrum receiver is the suspected cause of a plane crash, their technicians are in Illinois and are available to hear the details of the situation, and test the receiver to reach a comprehensive conclusion and possible partial coverage. If an Orange receiver is suspected of causing a plane crash, good luck in getting anyone on a phone to help you or back the product.
              Good point Alpha, and I don't care what anyone says, that famous saying is true..you get what you pay for!
              Addicted to planes!

Comment

I agree. I checked on the orange receivers and read a bunch of reviews. In the end I stayed with what has always worked for me, which is spectrum. Trying to save a little money now, could really cost a guy in the future

Jeff

Comment

We combed the market for good flight stabilization devices. We don't ever find a product or a manufacturer and immediately decide to carry a product. There is loads of research and testing that goes on behind the scenes and then we choose the best in a category. We do the research so you don't have to. I think many of our customers would be confused if we carried 30 flight stabilizers from 10 different manufacturers. It would be nearly impossible to figure out which one is best. Here is our current selection: http://www.motionrc.com/gyros-and-flight-stabilizers/

Beyond that, we will likely never carry any cheap receiver with integrated flight stabilization unless one of the major brands (Spektrum, Hitec, Futaba, etc) release them. We've tried some (not all) of the cheaper brand radios on the market and this is one area I feel very strongly about. I don't think anyone should skimp on a radio. Are there cheap/generic brand receivers which work with the big name brand radios? Yes. However they are all sold overseas because in many (possibly all) cases they are an IP infringement. Are they good/bad superior/inferior? We answer loads of phone calls and emails every day and we do see customers using these receivers in planes purchased from Motion RC. We do see issues with these cheaper receivers. I don't have data at my finger tips but we could likely compile some.  This is not to say name brand receivers are 100% issue free but you do have a manufacturer with tech support within the USA to back you if there is an issue. Alpha and our customer service team have recently worked with some customers where this has proven to be a massive benefit. You do want to keep your receipt (if you buy it from us we can always reprint your invoice should you have an issue).

Comment

Just to add my 2cents, I agree with what's been said.  I use and have used the orange receivers and the TX6 transmitter with great success over the past years. Remember, just because a receiver is "compatible" doesn't necessarily mean it's optimal. I did have one of the orange combo rec/stabilizer units fail but luckily it did so as I was checking control surfaces before a flight. It all comes down to a risk vs benefit analysis.
                    I've also had a $90 Spektrum receiver fail so.....who knows. Like someone also mentioned you should consider service after the sale. Horizon Hobbies (who services Spektrum) have an EXCELLENT and HONEST service dept (Just as it seems MRC does).  They have fixed things for me for free that I would have expected to pay for.  Bottom line for me is Orange stuffs works very well but do you want to risk a $400 model on a $12 receiver? Maybe not :dodgy:

Steve
                    AMA 95495
                    Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                    Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I agree, you get what you pay for.
                      That said, a guy in our club says he has found an inexpensive receiver/stabilizer (7 channels and a satellite antenna to attach), at something called "LemonRX.com".
                      Has anyone had experience with one of these? I believe they cost about $26 on their website.
                      Bill

Comment

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but do you want to fly your airplane or let it fly its self? Stabilizers are great for ultra micros and some micros, even sometimes required. Anything larger? Buck up and learn to fly! I'm a tough love kind of guy. Sorry if I offended anyone. The Doctor

Comment

I agree with the Doctor, HOWEVER, I do feel that a stabilizer/gyro does have some advantages. I found that with a stabilizer in ALL my planes, it allows me the opportunity to go flying in more than ideal wind conditions where I would be fighting the effects of those winds constantly. I agree that you should know how to fly first, and that you should know what wind does to your kplane, but I would not totally shun stabilizers. 
                            For the relatively inexpensive cost of a gyro, it just makes sense to me to add it to your plane for those just in case moments.  Sorry Doctor!
                          Addicted to planes!

Comment

I have mixed feelings on the gyro debate. On one hand I agree, yes you should be able to fly safely and enjoy the satisfaction of overcoming less that ideal conditions. On the other, I remember just how difficult those fledgling flights were way back when (circa 1972 ). I've seen far to many people have a negative experience on those first tries and then give up the hobbby :( . So I think it's a good thing when used alongside proper instruction and training. Also, I agree that it is less necessary on larger models.

Steve
                            AMA 95495
                            Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                            Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer   I see your point and agree. Doc
                              I agree with the Doctor, HOWEVER, I do feel that a stabilizer/gyro does have some advantages. I found that with a stabilizer in ALL my planes, it allows me the opportunity to go flying in more than ideal wind conditions where I would be fighting the effects of those winds constantly. I agree that you should know how to fly first, and that you should know what wind does to your kplane, but I would not totally shun stabilizers. 
                                For the relatively inexpensive cost of a gyro, it just makes sense to me to add it to your plane for those just in case moments.  Sorry Doctor!

Comment

I wanted to add my two cents here. This is what seems to happen at our field. First couple of hours in the mourning anyone can fly wind is usually calm but then the cross winds kick in and most of the experienced guys go home. I personally have a 30 mile ride to the field and when the wind kicks up I simply turn on the stabilizer and continue flying. Many old timers are switching to the stabilizers because of what there seeing, making a course change into the cross wind is not an issue. I personally like the Spektrum AS3X36 reciever stabilizer combo don't know why motionrc doesn't carry it since they sell planes that come with it. I will put them in all my planes!!!
                                [hr]
                                I just wanted to add that I also like the Eagle pro very easy to program but like the combo unit better because its usually is easier to install instead of two components. thanks
                                Live Free or Die
                                AMA # 1032582

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIyJl3B_rN6nOA_AiLQk8Bw/videos

FMS T-28 Trojan 1400
                                FW  P-51 Old Crow 1400
                                FW Pandora
                                FW Mosquito
                                Flyzone DHC2 Beaver
                                Flyzone Tidewater
                                Flyzone Corsair
                                Eflite P-51 Mustang

Comment

I am glad to see all the opinions that the original question initiated.

The point of combination receiver/stabilizer is what I was addressing. Room in the fuselage is a very real problem in many planes, and the combination device helps alleviate this problem. 

I expect to see much more of the combination devices at lower prices as the established companies see this interest and profit potential. Probably will start in the next 6 months.

Bill

Comment

Sorry Bill, it does look like we went off topic a bit. Motion does have the Spektrum AT636-6 with the AS3X stabilization. I was seriously looking at those too, but after watching the videos on how to program them, it sort of looked like a pain in the butt. I don't have a smart phone so reprogramming in the field would have been more of a hassle too. The separate gyro was more straightforward, set the gain dials and go.
                                    You are correct in the space consideration area. It can be a challenge. I have gone so far (gasp!) as to cut a small access hole in the fuse to accommodate the Eagle gyros. I made them close to centerline, and the piece removable so you can adjust gains. This is part of the build I like, overcoming difficult situations with electronic placements.

Addicted to planes!

Comment

Just saw this today, you might be interested, very small footprint and cheap.
                                      http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__65572__OrangeRX_RX3SM_Micro_3_Axis_Flight_Stabil izer_w_DSMX_Compatible_6CH_2_4Ghz.html

These are on sale and available at the Arkansas warehouse
                                      http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__57153__OrangeRX_RX3S_3_Axis_Flight_Stabilizer_w_ DSM2_Compatible_6CH_2_4Ghz_Receiver_AR_Warehouse_. html

BTW I'm not trying to promote these as being better than the MRC stuff, it's just FYI.

Steve
                                      AMA 95495
                                      Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                                      Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I've been staying away from the Orange receivers and the combo receiver/gyros. The only time I have had a brownout and crash was with the Orange stuff. The gyro is probably fine by itself. Not much difference in price from the Eagle brand.
                                        Addicted to planes!

Comment

Working...
                                        X