X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apprentice receiver question

Hello everybody. I'm new to forums, well, I usually read, but never post.
    My question is, can I take the receiver out of my apprentice, and use it in my fms t28 1400mm? I really like the training features on that plane, and would like to switch them out until I'm more comfortable with my new t28. Thanks a lot y'all!

RE: Apprentice receiver question

I haven't tried this myself, to use the Apprentice E-flite SAFE RX in another plane.  But from reading different forums, I would say yes. Here's a good forum to go to: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135213

My only opinion from experience, is that at first I thought using a receiver in more than one plane would save me money, and easy to do no problem.  Well, it didn't take long to realize, the switching back and forth of a receiver between two planes, was not worth it to me.  And I'm very happy with my decision. My 2 cents worth is, to spend the money for a AS3x receiver to put in your other plane. I've installed the AR635 in two of my mustangs, and am very happy with the performance of this AS3X receiver.

Other pilots here have installed the Eagle gyro in their planes also, with great results.  Decisions, decisions! 
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Shouldnt take you long to get used to the t 28. Wonderfully stable plane.
      Two things a pilot can waste, the sky above him and the runway behind him.

Comment

Hello Stevieraye,
        I am going to make it real simple - No. The FMS T-28 is a 6 channel aircraft and the Apprentice is 4. If you put that Apprentice Rx in you will not be able to use the flaps or retracts on the T-28. Even though that Rx has a 5th channel(aux1) it is being used to control the AS3X. Lon is right on with his opinion. Every plane you own should have its own dedicated Rx. Basically just part of the expense of the sport.
        Best Regards,
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

You are right OV10, didn't think about the extras on the t28. Thank you all for the advise. My maiden flight had major pucker factor, as I had WAY too much travel set on the dx6i. I've tried to soften everything up, and waiting on the horrible wind to pass, so I can try again. The good news is, I've landed it twice with no damage! Wasn't expecting such fast landings, it's a whole new beast compared to the apprentice. Thanks again!

Comment

Having separate receivers is the best way to go,  changing out the receivers all the time just leaves you open to breaking something plus it is a huge pain in the rump. Using the A3L gyrohttp://www.motionrc.com/eagle-a3-l-3-axis-airplane-gyro/  would be sufficient for smoothing out the flying if you were needing to try and calm your nerves, we have been having Great success with this line of gyros. Call us if you ever have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC
              Having separate receivers is the best way to go,  changing out the receivers all the time just leaves you open to breaking something plus it is a huge pain in the rump. Using the A3L gyrohttp://www.motionrc.com/eagle-a3-l-3-axis-airplane-gyro/  would be sufficient for smoothing out the flying if you were needing to try and calm your nerves, we have been having Great success with this line of gyros. Call us if you ever have any questions.
              Thanks allot Wayne,I just ordered the gyro you suggested. Now, my question is, does that work in conjunction with my ar610 receiver, or does it take it's place? Also, I'm installing it in an fms t28 1400mm, will it effect my electrical? I guess I'm curious if the drain will be worse on the battery,I can only assume it will. Thank you so much for the advice,I can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Hello Stevieraye,
                Using any gyro units whether they are integrated in the receiver or are a separate unit used in conjunction require an additional channel above the amount the model is designed for. So in the case of your FMS 1400 T-28 it is going to need a seven channel Rx in order to be able to turn on/off the Eagle gyro. So as an example, the Rx in your apprentice has an integrated gyro in it and it is a 5 channel Rx for a 4 channel plane. Now in the case of your T-28, in order to use your AR610 you would have to give up a function that you could forego like say the flaps but why do that. The hard truth about gyro's is in order to have that 'comfort' feeling you are going to have to double your expense in the Rx costs for 6 channel aircraft by using 7 channel Rx minimally as well as upgrading the Tx like say the DX6i to a DX7 or better. If this is the plans you intend to pursue in the hobby by using gyros than now is a really great time to upgrade your Tx. I see that MRC has the DX8 at an unheard of price for $220. As far as your assumption about current drain on your battery by the gyro in conjunction with the Rx it is negligible and nothing to worry about. Hope I've helped to enlighten !
                Best Regards,
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                  Hello Stevieraye,
                  Using any gyro units whether they are integrated in the receiver or are a separate unit used in conjunction require an additional channel above the amount the model is designed for. So in the case of your FMS 1400 T-28 it is going to need a seven channel Rx in order to be able to turn on/off the Eagle gyro. So as an example, the Rx in your apprentice has an integrated gyro in it and it is a 5 channel Rx for a 4 channel plane. Now in the case of your T-28, in order to use your AR610 you would have to give up a function that you could forego like say the flaps but why do that. The hard truth about gyro's is in order to have that 'comfort' feeling you are going to have to double your expense in the Rx costs for 6 channel aircraft by using 7 channel Rx minimally as well as upgrading the Tx like say the DX6i to a DX7 or better. If this is the plans you intend to pursue in the hobby by using gyros than now is a really great time to upgrade your Tx. I see that MRC has the DX8 at an unheard of price for $220. As far as your assumption about current drain on your battery by the gyro in conjunction with the Rx it is negligible and nothing to worry about. Hope I've helped to enlighten !
                  Best Regards,
                  Wow, you have definitely enlightened me Warbird Charlie! Guess I pulled the trigger too soon on buying the gyro, it appears I'm better off, just getting more practice! I was hoping for a less stressful flight, on my limited experience, but replacing all of my electronics is not an option at this time. Do you have a suggestion on a more compatible receiver, that would allow me to continue using my dx6i? And I know, you gotta pay to play, but right now I need to be easy on the wallet! :-) Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Comment

Hello Stevieraye,
                    Sorry to say but ya gotta pay to play. Nothing that I'm aware of in a compatible receiver for the DX6i that is going to allow you to control your T-28 with the Eagle gyro in use and have ALL its functions(flaps etc) available. If your that nervous about the T-28 then maybe more time on the Apprentice(or a sim) is in order until the wallet can make the upgrades in electronics required. Just for some reassurance that I'm not just spouting off here, I am the VP at our club as well as a flight instructor.
                    Best Regards,
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                      Hello Stevieraye,
                      Sorry to say but ya gotta pay to play. Nothing that I'm aware of in a compatible receiver for the DX6i that is going to allow you to control your T-28 with the Eagle gyro in use and have ALL its functions(flaps etc) available. If your that nervous about the T-28 then maybe more time on the Apprentice(or a sim) is in order until the wallet can make the upgrades in electronics required. Just for some reassurance that I'm not just spouting off here, I am the VP at our club as well as a flight instructor.
                      I
                      Best Regards,
                      I completely understand. I'm just gonna spend more time on the apprentice. I've actually flown the T28, 3 times, successfully, no damage, but I'm a little too nervous still..haha. I really appreciate the advice, and I'll definitely look into the DX8...at that price, you can't lose. Thanks again.

Comment

Ok, question... I just received the eagle A3L gyro. Is it possible to install it, and fly it under the "normal" flight mode, and not lose any of my functions? It says if I don't plug in the mode channel, it will default to normal gyro function. It seems to me, I could just plug in the ail,elev,rudder channels, and leave the rest alone, this would still allow flaps, gear and lights to operate? Am I thinking right here? Thanks allot!

Comment

Hello Stevieraye,
                          Yes your thoughts are correct and you can do the not plug in the mode channel BUT there is a risk here. If you do not have the A3L set up correctly(the gains) you risk loss of control of the model. Pilot Ryan talks about being able to turn the gyro on/off for this same reason in his setup video for the A3 gyro at about the 1 minute mark of the video. He also does a video on the A3L whereas he is talking about a set up on the DX6i to mix a 3 way switch function on a two position switch in order to turn the gyro on/off. In this same video he also only has a 4 channel plane(FMS 800mm T-28) and is using the AR610 six channel receiver. The standard is basically you need a receiver with 1 more channel than you have functions on the plane in order to use these gyros while keeping safety in mind. So what it comes down to is this, are you ready to risk your $300 plane on the bet that you got it right with the gyro gains the first time.
                          Best Regards,
                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

[quote=OV10]
                            Hello Stevieraye,
                            Yes your thoughts are correct and you can do the not plug in the mode channel BUT there is a risk here. If you do not have the A3L set up correctly(the gains) you risk loss of control of the model. Pilot Ryan talks about being able to turn the gyro on/off for this same reason in his setup video for the A3 gyro at about the 1 minute mark of the video. He also does a video on the A3L whereas he is talking about a set up on the DX6i to mix a 3 way switch function on a two position switch in order to turn the gyro on/off. In this same video he also only has a 4 channel plane(FMS 800mm T-28) and is using the AR610 six channel receiver. The standard is basically you need a receiver with 1 more channel than you have functions on the plane in order to use these gyros while keeping safety in mind. So what it comes down to is this, are you ready to risk your $300 plane on the bet that you got it right with the gyro gains the first time.
                            Makes good sense,I didn't think about the loss of control, not knowing. So,I think I'll disable my retracts to get it set up, then I could probably run it in normal mode after I learn the new feeling?

Comment

For those who lack the extra channel what we recommend is during the set up process turn the gain all the way up (clockwise) don't go past the stops use gentle pressure, so all control movements are exaggerated, this way you will actually see the control surfaces move. Take the plane and drop the nose and watch the elevator to ensure you get the correct movement to raise the nose, go thru all the control surfaces to verify all is heading the right way. Sometimes at the lower gain settings you may not see the correction because it may be a very small input, that's why we go to 100% for testing. Then turn gains all the way down (counterclockwise) then open them maybe 10%, move the plane and see if you get any movement from servos albeit small movements. If you don't then turn it up a bit more but no more than 30%. At this setting you should be able to overcome any control issues you may encounter. If you do the preflight properly all should work well. On my Freewing Ultimate at 30% I got some oscillation in a dive from the ailerons, so I had to turn down the gains a bit but it didn't cause me to lose control, I just had to slow down land and make the adjustment. "So if you can't turn it off turn it down", start low and work your way up. Hope this helps and Happy Landings!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC
                                For those who lack the extra channel what we recommend is during the set up process turn the gain all the way up (clockwise) don't go past the stops use gentle pressure, so all control movements are exaggerated, this way you will actually see the control surfaces move. Take the plane and drop the nose and watch the elevator to ensure you get the correct movement to raise the nose, go thru all the control surfaces to verify all is heading the right way. Sometimes at the lower gain settings you may noIt see the correction because it may be a very small input, that's why we go to 100% for testing. Then turn gains all the way down (counterclockwise) then open them maybe 10%, move the plane and see if you get any movement from servos albeit small movements. If you don't then turn it up a bit more but no more than 30%. At this setting you should be able to overcome any control issues you may encounter. If you do the preflight properly all should work well. On my Freewing Ultimate at 30% I got some oscillation in a dive from the ailerons, so I had to turn down the gains a bit but it didn't cause me to lose control, I just had to slow down land and make the adjustment. "So if you can't turn it off turn it down", start low and work your way up. Hope this helps and Happy Landings!
                                Thanks allot Wayne! Great info. I'll be trying it this weekend, weather permitting!! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X