Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobby Eagle A3 V2- Flaperons possible?

I'm flying a Freewing 90mm F16, and I kinda wanna try out flaperons, and I've been told that you can either have a gyro, or flaperons. Not both. The guy that told me this is super knowledgeable, and I don't doubt him, but...here's my question. Couldn't you technically do both, and run one aileron lead to the Aux1 of Rx, then the other through the gyro, and get one wing's worth of gyro, then maybe turn the gain up? Kinda curious about it, but definitely not curious enough to pile a plane in to the dirt.

Believe him. I've mulled over this extensively when I dumped the Aura 8 out of my FlexJet in favor of a Spektrum type receiver so I could do stabilized flaperons. As far as I could ascertain, the HobbyEagle and many other stabilized devices can't rationalize a stabilized flaperon hook up because flaps work the control surfaces on each side in the same direction (ie, opposite servo action) while ailerons work them in opposing direction (ie, same servo direction). I've even thought of using a reversed servo or a servo reverser but then, that simply change the "sameness" and "opposite-ness" of the direction and action. The closest I've found that almost does this is one of the more complex Lemon receiver/stabilizers but when reading the instructions, it clearly states that if stabilization is chosen, flaperons CANNOT be selected.
    Oddly enough, I've been messing around with the Aura 8 configeration program on my laptop and this device WILL allow stabilized flaperons but not being very proficient at figuring out all the necessary steps involved, I haven't put the thing back into the FlexJet to see if it will. Like you, I'm not curious enough to pile this very expensive plane into the dirt, either. Maybe one day, I'll try it on a cheap "test" plane. The problem with the Aura 8 is that to program for complex things like multiple servos on wings and tail, you have to use 2 separate Spektrum full range sat receivers and those are almost $100.00 each. Not sure I want to spend that kind of money just to test.
    You could do what you propose and have just one AIL stabilized and both tail surfaces stabilized but don't turn up the gain anymore than you would if you had the typical aileron set up. Gain must be dialed in as per the max speed of the plane. As you go faster, there's a chance that the control surfaces will begin to oscillate and having only 1 AIL stabilized won't change that. If you go beyond the acceptable gain, that one side will oscillate and the plane could become uncontrollable. The first thing to oscillate with too high of gain is the aileron channel. The elevator and rudder tend to be more forgiving of high gain. Also be careful which HobbyEagle you choose. The current A3-L V2 uses 2 gain pots. The 2nd one is for 3D flying. Turn that OFF. The A3 Pro has 3 gain pots and each one is for each control surface so you can dial in each separately.
    My old 90mm F-16 was set up with flaperons and this aided its take off greatly from my bumpy, grass field. Landings were much slower too. I didn't find a stabilizer necessary on that plane. I currently have the smaller 70mm F-16 V2 with the same set up and again, the plane works much better with flaperons. You just have to be careful to use lower rates so as to not overdrive the wing servos when deploying full flaps.

Comment

Working...
    X