X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Combat Simulator

Combat Flight Simulator. Realistic simulation of military aircraft, tanks, ground vehicles, navy ships, world war two vehicles, trains and ships. Free download includes the Caucasus region and Black Sea that encompasses much of Georgia. It Including a Russian Sukhoi Su-25T ground attack aircraft and the famous WWII North American TF-51D fighter. Over 25 fighter jet aircraft for PC Gaming.test

Has anyone tried this? It's not an RC simulator but it has a huge collection of aircraft and campaigns. It looks like you download the "Digital Combat Simulator World" and then you can add your favorite aircraft and fly historical or modern combat missions with other online. It reminds me of Battlefield 2 on the PC but with seemingly better game play and graphics.

I avoid those kinds of downloads. I had a bad experience a while back when I tried to download that "tank battle" program. It froze my computer and even after uninstalling the program, the computer was useless. Thankfully, I was able to use a back-up of the PC from one week prior to get it running again.

Comment

I have had it for a couple of years and is by far my go-to sim. I am using it with the Oculus Rift CV1 and it an amazing experience in VR! I have been a Microsoft FS user since FS98, an X-Plane user for a few years and have recently started using Aerofly FS2. DCS best's them all in my opinion. I am not really in to dog fighting or combat so I mostly just work on and around carriers and like to fly missions in the Huey, MI8, etc. One of the things I really like about DCS is that if you are a fan of "study level" sims where you really have to learn the systems in depth to operate the aircraft and systems, it has you covered. If you (like me) simply enjoy the flight aspect and like zipping around buildings or tree's at 500+ knots or finding the most challenging landing sites for heli's it also has you covered.

The addon aircraft can be a bit pricey though. I think the new F14 is upwards of $80. But you can also spend $100+ on study level aircraft for FSX and X-Plane so it's all relative in the end. It's a safe download as long as you are downloading it from either Steam or the DCS website itself. Be aware though that if you do get it through Steam, some of the updates will not be immediately available. They tend to make them available to non-Steam users first on their website.

The flight physics are simply amazing, especially in the helicopters. I have probably 40+ heli's in FSX and 90% of them fly exactly the same. You can absolutely feel the difference between them in DCS.

I highly recommend trying it out! I can't remember for sure but I think you get the T-51, F15, and a Mig included in the free download. Most if not all of the systems are able to be interacted with in the Mustang but the Eagle and Mig they are not. But you can map most or all systems to the HOTAS.

Comment

Icepirate - What controller setup are you using?

Comment

Thrustmaster Warthog and old Saietek pedals on a Wheelstand Pro. The Warthog is pretty expensive but well worth it if your serious about precise control. I used a Saitek X52 for probably 10 years and while it did serve me well, the Warthog is light years better.

Comment

Actually I am just getting into DCS at this moment. I use an X52 pro, G430 headset, Track IR, with GTX1070ti, and an older AMD 8 core FX processor at 4GHz with 32G memory.

The frame rates are actually like 80-90 most of the time in the Su25. The graphics and flight models have X-plane and FSX beat in my humble opinion. You have systems and navigation as well as tactical stuff and weather.
            I love it.

Right now I am flying the default birds. But I plan on adding the F-18 and F-14 soon.

And I hope to get on some online servers. Right now I am considering the Grim Reapers and a couple others.

I too enjoy the flight aspect probably more than the fighting aspect. If I do fly combat, I prefer to fly complete missions from startup to shutdown.

Callsign is Zeagle.

BTW I flew the old Bruce Artwick FS on a Tandy 2000 before MSFS and before the PC. I also flew Falcon4 forever as well as X-plane since about version 8. I prefer DCS now.
            Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

I really want to get into one of these setups, one day. I'd need a motorized seat at the very least, plus accurate VR with dead-on head tracking.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                Actually I am just getting into DCS at this moment. I use an X52 pro, G430 headset, Track IR, with GTX1070ti, and an older AMD 8 core FX processor at 4GHz with 32G memory.

The frame rates are actually like 80-90 most of the time in the Su25. The graphics and flight models have X-plane and FSX beat in my humble opinion. You have systems and navigation as well as tactical stuff and weather.
                I love it.

Right now I am flying the default birds. But I plan on adding the F-18 and F-14 soon.

And I hope to get on some online servers. Right now I am considering the Grim Reapers and a couple others.

I too enjoy the flight aspect probably more than the fighting aspect. If I do fly combat, I prefer to fly complete missions from startup to shutdown.

Callsign is Zeagle.

BTW I flew the old Bruce Artwick FS on a Tandy 2000 before MSFS and before the PC. I also flew Falcon4 forever as well as X-plane since about version 8. I prefer DCS now.
                I spent many an hour playing Falcon 4,I still say it was the best all around simulator I have seen(and have played most)

The interaction between what you did and the success(or failure) of your squad mates was fantastic.

Also getting that perfect touchdown after a long mission....boy I miss Falcon 4.

I used to play ACES HI a lot but got kind of bored with the same old game play.

Another oldie but goodie was Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe(SWATL)
                Bought my first dedicated gaming computer to play that game,and wore it out,excellent game play and ok flight simulator.

Always enjoyed the flying back to base nursing a damaged plane,or bailing out and having the computer randomnly say you have been captured or fled to friendly forces...a lot of fun.

Comment

I flew AH from 2001 through about 2012. I was in JG11 early on.

Planning on flying with the Grim Reapers on Sunday if I can get SRS, open beta DCS, and an addon or two. I really don't want the F-18. But since the F-14 is not out yet, I may go ahead and do the Hornet.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                    I really want to get into one of these setups, one day. I'd need a motorized seat at the very least, plus accurate VR with dead-on head tracking.
                    Alpha I love my trackir5. I don't know about the seat thing. I may build a station with a Corbeau jeep seat and some supports for my sticks though.

We should get up a group and fly dcs online.

Comment

Seaviper, I don't know if there actually is a "seat thing", it's just an idea I had of something that I would want in a sim. I've had "sit at computer" setups in the past, and granted they were nothing compared to modern DCS, I know that even with modern graphics/VR/equipment, I would still want the immersion of a seat moving slightly in step with my control inputs. These days the components to drive the weight of a seat and user are more readily available online than they were in the 90s.

Anyway, it's a pipe dream for now. By the time I'm actually in the market for this stuff, the price will only go down as the features go up, so I'm not in a rush. The last TV I owned was a 27" "flat panel" that cost north of $1,000 at the time.... I figure by the time I'm ready to buy my next TV it will be a 70" 8k 10G flexible 2mm thick SmartTV that costs only $120 at Costco and it will probably order pizza delivery automatically for me when it senses I'm playing games during dinner time.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                        I flew AH from 2001 through about 2012. I was in JG11 early on.

Planning on flying with the Grim Reapers on Sunday if I can get SRS, open beta DCS, and an addon or two. I really don't want the F-18. But since the F-14 is not out yet, I may go ahead and do the Hornet.
                        I was in the "Clowns of Death" in AH,
                        The squadron play and the air races on Friday or Saturday nights were the most fun.

Comment

Favorite low and slow plane was the FM2 Wildcat

Zoom and Boom was the Tempest!

Damn may have to fire up the 'puter tonight

Comment

I have been flying the hornet this week. This kind of simulation is why I got into computers as a kid. The depth and realism are amazing. It flies super smooth. I really like the way the developer is involved in the community as well.

I have the Hornet and the Nevada map. I plan on using the Hornet as a training platform before the F-14 comes out. And I've been making training missions in the editor as well since I could not find any canned AR hops.

If anyone wants fly online I might host a server.

Comment

Newbie DCS user here ~
                              I plan (hopefully) to get my gaming rig setup over the Christmas holidays.
                              I'll be resurrecting my Saitek X-52 (now that Logitech is supporting the system), and will be testing a custom game control console on my iPad that will use some MIDI apps normally used for music hardware/software control.

I played Falcon and all the Microsoft CFS-series at one time, but its been a while!

@ seaviper -
                              Any word on the release date for the F-14?
                              I pre-ordered, but I personally haven't seen any recent release updates.

Comment

Hi Chief,

In my opinion, you need like a 1070 or better video card, decent internet, and the more memory the better. I got an AMD FX 8 core processor with 32GB DDR2 on an old M5A97 motherboard. My sim flies smooth as glass. I am very happy with it. Video card is a 1070ti. Also trackIR or something similar is needed for ACM. But if you don't have that, there are some view padlock modes I think.

I have been learning DCS, the Hornet, Discord, and Simple Radio.....but I have pretty much got it figured out. The Simple Radio thing lets you connect via voice by tuning the cockpit radios. Very nice to have. But you have adjust the volume on the app and turn down some interior sounds in the jet for it to be effective.

Discord is both a forum and a voice app. The voice app is good for talking outside the mission. But during the mission it is too distracting with all the chit chat. Also, the Discord app feels like some kind of Googlish kind of thing. Don't like it at all. Voice quality is excellent though.

No idea on the F-14 release date. After flying the hornet for a while now, I may not do the F-14. Don't like carrying passengers.

As for flying, I have been working up the canned training missions. I also created my own mission with a tanker so I could go and learn things offline. I may open my own server.
                                But I have been recently flying with the boys over on Lex's server. There are a few real world hornet, F-35, and Harrier guys on there. Made my first two traps on the boat last night.
                                The server I am referring to is called Speed and Angels.

Comment

I should be good on the hardware side -
                                  Now i just need time to get everything setup!

Appreciate the info -
                                  Thanks!

Comment

I really like flying with this group. Here is the discord server where they talk about stuff. Several of the guys are former hornet drivers. There is one real world harrier guy and a v-22 guy. Last night we met up on the aerobaticsonline server and flew out to the boat. good times.
                                    Discord is the easiest way to communicate over voice, video, and text. Chat, hang out, and stay close with your friends and communities.

my callsign on discord and ingame is "zeagle"

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                                      I've used DCS with an Oculus Rift CV1 for about 2 years and won't fly without it. As long as your system is strong enough the tracking is as close to dead-on as possible, especially if you use 2 trackers. You do loose a little definition but it's a trade-off that's well worth it. The immersion is amazing! The ability to look around while still keeping the HUD or another plane in formation in your peripheral vision is priceless. I find it especially valuable when flying realistic patterns around the carrier where altitude, airspeed, and AOA all have to be spot on while also keeping an eye on the deck.

If you do get into combat air to air it's even more advantageous. Some would even think of VR as an unfair advantage in combat but I say "Oh well!"

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post

I've used DCS with an Oculus Rift CV1 for about 2 years and won't fly without it. As long as your system is strong enough the tracking is as close to dead-on as possible, especially if you use 2 trackers. You do loose a little definition but it's a trade-off that's well worth it. The immersion is amazing! The ability to look around while still keeping the HUD or another plane in formation in your peripheral vision is priceless. I find it especially valuable when flying realistic patterns around the carrier where altitude, airspeed, and AOA all have to be spot on while also keeping an eye on the deck.

If you do get into combat air to air it's even more advantageous. Some would even think of VR as an unfair advantage in combat but I say "Oh well!"
                                        I’ve been seriously considering adding the Occulus Rift to my gaming rig, but not real sure how it integrates with an existing HOTAS controller (Saitek/Logitech X-52, in my case). Could you share a brief overview of your controller setup and how it all works (i.e. what controls what) when using the Rift? Trying to get an idea of where the Occulus controllers fit in the mix.

If you could recommend any online tutorials that might help with the DCS setup with this gear, it would be most appreciated!!

Thanks! :Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                        X