Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AS3X 636A on any airplane?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AS3X 636A on any airplane?

So I got the Freewing "Old Crow" in yesterday and first tried hooking her up to a 636 receiver with the AS3X system - initially wanting stabilization on a larger aircraft such as this mustang. I tried installing it with the servo leads facing forwards, and then backwards, and either way I tried - one of the channels was always stabilized in reverse once initialized...For example in one direction the ailerons would be gyro'd backwards , and in the other direction the ailerons would be correct, but now the ELEVATOR was gyro'd backwards...( Jerking the airplane around resulted in no counter stabilization in the opposite direction, but instead IN the direction of jerk ) I didn't think this would be good.....

I'm unsure if there was any way to correct this reversing of the gyro - so I just put a standard receiver in it...Flies great...but would love to have as3x on my side.

Anybody know how to reverse the stabilizing actions on individual channels?

Thanks,

Andy

You must set the receiver up with the programmer. If you don't the gains will be wrong And you will most likely have control problems if the gyro orientation in the plane is not set up properly

Comment

You can't just throw a 636A into a plane and expect it to work. If it came out of another plane, the programming won't necessarily work for the new plane. If you bought a new, blank one, it has to be programmed for your plane to do what you want it to do.

Comment

It has worked fine for me in other aircraft with just dropping it in.....I read that sometimes the servo positioning can cause the problem too..

I will get a programmer and see if that does the trick...

Comment

I guess your luck ran out.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            I guess your luck ran out.
            Glad your picture is saying what I'm thinking...

Comment

So, you edited out the word "jerk". OK, you will NEVER get any response or help from me again. You obviously think you know it all and know better.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                So, you edited out the word "jerk". OK, you will NEVER get any response or help from me again. You obviously think you know it all and know better.
                Well I mean your post makes you sound like a jerk....I just thought I better remove it.....Why would you even say "I guess your luck ran out"?

Not helpful in any way to the post.

You don't seem helpful at all, so your lack of help will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Thanks,

Comment

Sounds like we're all wound a little too tight this month, thankfully it's the season to be jolly or we might see WWIII.

All levity aside, I now have 25 AR636 receivers in a wide variety of planes, from 90mm EDF's, to a dozen warbirds, including 3 mustangs like your Old Crow, to even 4 Extreme Flight 64" 3D planes. Each receiver is programmed differently, for obvious reasons. As said earlier, you can't just drop one in from another plane. Get the wireless programming cable from Spektrum and the phone app for AS3X and do it right. If you do, it will work spectacularly, if you miss 1 key step, kiss the bird goodby.

First go to the programming video on Horizon's website to learn the basics, such as setting the orientation of the receiver in the plane, how to get 3 flight modes with diffferent gains and the difference between rate and heading gain. I also suggest you go to the posts here that I and others have made on the AR636. One thread is under AR636 Gains in Propeller Airplanes, another thread is Programming AS3X for flaps and gear in Miscellaneous RC Airplane Chat. Ater that, if you have any questions, let me know. I've spent at least 3 years "learning" all I could about the AR636 and even solved some issues the tecks couldn't resolve, but I've learned the hard way. On the basic level, the programming is quite easy once you understand all the programming screens. On the advanced level, you can program it for just about any flight characteristic you can think of.
                  Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                  Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotAndy1994 View Post

Well I mean your post makes you sound like a jerk....I just thought I better remove it.....Why would you even say "I guess your luck ran out"?

Not helpful in any way to the post.

You don't seem helpful at all, so your lack of help will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Thanks,
                    BTW, xviper has given me some great advice so don't dismiss help from anyone. I get better advice in this forum than even from the technicians sometimes. I need all the help I can get and I don't turn it down from anyone.
                    Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                    Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post
                      Sounds like we're all wound a little too tight this month, thankfully it's the season to be jolly or we might see WWIII.

All levity aside, I now have 25 AR636 receivers in a wide variety of planes, from 90mm EDF's, to a dozen warbirds, including 3 mustangs like your Old Crow, to even 4 Extreme Flight 64" 3D planes. Each receiver is programmed differently, for obvious reasons. As said earlier, you can't just drop one in from another plane. Get the wireless programming cable from Spektrum and the phone app for AS3X and do it right. If you do, it will work spectacularly, if you miss 1 key step, kiss the bird goodby.

First go to the programming video on Horizon's website to learn the basics, such as setting the orientation of the receiver in the plane, how to get 3 flight modes with diffferent gains and the difference between rate and heading gain. I also suggest you go to the posts here that I and others have made on the AR636. One thread is under AR636 Gains in Propeller Airplanes, another thread is Programming AS3X for flaps and gear in Miscellaneous RC Airplane Chat. Ater that, if you have any questions, let me know. I've spent at least 3 years "learning" all I could about the AR636 and even solved some issues the tecks couldn't resolve, but I've learned the hard way. On the basic level, the programming is quite easy once you understand all the programming screens. On the advanced level, you can program it for just about any flight characteristic you can think of.
                      Thanks a lot! I'll order one and see what I can figure out from there. Sure do love the way as3x makes a plane fly on rails. Takes a lot of anxiety out of the new birds.

Comment

Well, reading through this thread, XViper pointed out that gyro units need to be programmed for the specific aircraft, and his comment on your luck having run out was in reference to the idea that you'd simply been lucky that installing such receivers in different aircraft before had worked for you.

I mean, honestly, there are quite a few things I've learned since my first visit to these forums, that I realized I was just lucky I hadn't learned those same lessons the hard (and expensive) way before.

I don't believe XViper intended his post to be a jerk, but rather a simple statement of fact. Unfortunately, in text postings such as these, we must infer inflection, which can change the meaning of a statement dramatically. If you think about it, how many different ways can the statement, "This is a fine airplane," be taken? It can be a compliment, or sarcasm, an expression of a change of opinion, or other meanings, all depending on what inflection is placed on the different words. We read that inflection based often on context, though in the case of a stand-alone sentence, we try to infer context based on what we think is intended. If we think it's sarcasm, that's the inflection we're going to read into it.

I've always received good information from XViper, so maybe take a step back, extend the benefit of the doubt, and go from there?

Comment

The 636A can be installed in another plane but it can be a royal pain to get it oriented correctly. Then, as mentioned earlier in this thread, you have to worry about how much throw it will put in which will depend on what you took it out of.
                          I would recommend getting a new AR636 with programming cable and doing it right but if the 636A is all you've got available, and if the donor and recipient planes are similar sizes, we can make it work. You don't want to move from a large plane to a small one as the gains will be too extreme, likewise moving from a small plane to one that's significantly larger may result in not enough correction to make it worth the effort.

Easiest way to do it is to hook everything up with the receiver out of the plane. With the prop off (or a good throttle cut set) power the plane up. Advance the throttle to >25% (if you are using the throttle cut you will have to disable it and hold the plane firmly for this step) to arm the AS3X then cut the throttle (re arm the throttle cut if using that method). Now you are going to take the receiver and watch how your control surfaces react to it shifting different directions. if you roll it to the right the left aileron should come up, if you yaw to the right the rudder should move left and if you pitch the noseward end down the elevator should rise. These movements tend to happen rather quickly so it helps to not have to hold the entire model while trying to observe them. If any control moves differently than expected you will need to completely flip the receiver on two axes to compensate, only doing it on one axis will result in changing the reaction of two surfaces. It's been a while since I did it but if I remember right (no promises) you will want to flip it on the two axes that are NOT associated to the trouble surface. Again it's been about two years since I did this but with a little trial and error you'll get it figured out.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                            I don't believe XViper intended his post to be a jerk, but rather a simple statement of fact.
                            I total disagree. He has been quite toxic on several threads. Far from helpful and definitely elitist.

Comment

for some reason I got this today under title of flag reports,,,i don't even have a reply in this thread what gives?

PilotAndy1994 flagged a reply to AS3X 636A on any airplane?
                              in Gyros / Flight Stabilizers and Flybarless Controllers

Today, 09:53 AM

Not helpful to the post in any way. Derogatory remark....

Comment

Originally posted by Tate View Post
                                The 636A can be installed in another plane but it can be a royal pain to get it oriented correctly. Then, as mentioned earlier in this thread, you have to worry about how much throw it will put in which will depend on what you took it out of.
                                I would recommend getting a new AR636 with programming cable and doing it right but if the 636A is all you've got available, and if the donor and recipient planes are similar sizes, we can make it work. You don't want to move from a large plane to a small one as the gains will be too extreme, likewise moving from a small plane to one that's significantly larger may result in not enough correction to make it worth the effort.

Easiest way to do it is to hook everything up with the receiver out of the plane. With the prop off (or a good throttle cut set) power the plane up. Advance the throttle to >25% (if you are using the throttle cut you will have to disable it and hold the plane firmly for this step) to arm the AS3X then cut the throttle (re arm the throttle cut if using that method). Now you are going to take the receiver and watch how your control surfaces react to it shifting different directions. if you roll it to the right the left aileron should come up, if you yaw to the right the rudder should move left and if you pitch the noseward end down the elevator should rise. These movements tend to happen rather quickly so it helps to not have to hold the entire model while trying to observe them. If any control moves differently than expected you will need to completely flip the receiver on two axes to compensate, only doing it on one axis will result in changing the reaction of two surfaces. It's been a while since I did it but if I remember right (no promises) you will want to flip it on the two axes that are NOT associated to the trouble surface. Again it's been about two years since I did this but with a little trial and error you'll get it figured out.

Good luck.
                                Ohhhhhh OK so when I flipped it and the ailerons worked but the elevator was bad, I should have flipped along pitch axis.... That sounds like it will work! Thanks!

Comment

I got flagged too Ron. And I didn't post either.

Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

someone has lost there mind lol
                                    now how do we get rid of it?

Comment

I thought it would work because the receiver came out of the carbon z Cessna. Not too much bigger than this big ol mustang.... I put one in a Dynam plane and it did wonders. I ordered a program thing so I can dial it in. We'll see..... Thanks

Andy

Comment

I got flagged too. Why? what did I do? (I did not post anything) :Confused:

Comment

Working...
                                        X