X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3-l setup for delta wing with 4ch RX

O.K., guys. Here is how you do it. (With little to no help. MRC tech told me it wouldn't work with a 4 ch. RX and that I would have to use a 6 ch. RX... With all due respect ... he was wrong. ) I made it work. In detail, here goes... Start with your TX. I'm using a DX6. In "aircraft type" apply normal wing. Then, reassign "rudder" to aux 1 (3 way switch). Now, plug R- AIL into no. 2 (ELE) on gyro and L-AIL into no.1 (AIL) on gyro. Leave no. 3 (RUD) open. Now, plug from MOD to Rud in your RX. Leave rudder on your gyro open. Now, plug gyro AIL to RX AIL and gyro ELE to RX ELE. This allows your 3- way switch to be in this order.. 0-3D, 1-off, 2-norm. Follow the MRC video instructions to check gyro correction. Finally! This works! Good luck! Doc   PS... This is for a Multiplex Funjet, which has no rudder, flaps or landing gear. Just elevon (flying wing).

RE: A3-l setup for delta wing with 4ch RX

So you don't use a rudder on your plane? Can you draw and post a flow chart?

It sounds like the key was being able to map in your TX your 3 position switch to the "rudder" output for control of the Gryo's gain.

If that is so, I'd have thought this was more of a tech issue with Horizon Hobbies (USA distributor for the Spektum radio) rather than a tech support issue with MotionRC? Many radios don't allow channel mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
      O.K., guys. Here is how you do it. (With little to no help. MRC tech told me it wouldn't work with a 4 ch. RX and that I would have to use a 6 ch. RX... With all due respect ... he was mistaken) I made it work. In detail, here goes... Start with your TX. I'm using a DX6. In "aircraft type" apply normal wing. Then, reassign "rudder" to aux 1 (3 way switch). Now, plug R- AIL into no. 2 (ELE) on gyro and L-AIL into no.1 (AIL) on gyro. Leave no. 3 (RUD) open. Now, plug from MOD to Rud in your RX. Leave rudder on your gyro open. Now, plug gyro AIL to RX AIL and gyro ELE to RX ELE. This allows your 3- way switch to be in this order.. 0-3D, 1-off, 2-norm. Follow the MRC video instructions to check gyro correction. Finally! This works! Good luck! Doc
       This is for a Multiplex Funjet which has no flaps, landing gear or rudder. (flying wing) Doc
      [hr]
      Originally posted by Konrad
      So you don't use a rudder on your plane? Can you draw and post a flow chart?

It sounds like the key was being able to map in your TX your 3 position switch to the "rudder" output for control of the Gryo's gain.

If that is so, I'd have thought this was more of a tech issue with Horizon Hobbies (USA distributor for the Spektum radio) rather than a tech support issue with MotionRC? Many radios don't allow channel mapping.
       Hi Conrad. What you are speaking of only has to do with the A3-L setup, which the MRC tech missled me on. He told me that a 4CH. RX would not work with this, when, in fact, the instructions say a 4 CH RX will work. The problem has nothing to do with the reassignment of channels. The Funjet is a delta wing with no rudder no flaps, no L.G. The transmitter setup was fine, and the gyro is fine, now that I figured it out. My instructions worked perfectly for me. Thank you, Doc

Comment

And no rudder function (servo)?

Am I reading you right that you have mapped the 3 position switch on your Tx to output to the rudder channel of the RX and that the Gyro uses this pulse (rudder channel of the RX) to select various gain setting?

I though I was reading that the reassigning of the channels (3 position switch to rudder output of your TX) was the solution, not the problem.

Programing instruction often are made much easier to understand and follow if accompanied with a flow chart.

I'm sure your solution works for you.
        I'm trying to understand what was your issue and what you did to solve them. I don't have the hardware you have, so I don't know their limitations.

Comment

Am I reading you right that you have mapped the 3 position switch on your Tx to output to the rudder channel of the RX and that the Gyro uses this pulse (rudder channel of the RX) to select various gain setting?
          No, not gain setting.. Mode setting. 3D...off.. normal. Doc

Comment

No, not gain setting.. Mode setting. 3D...off.. normal. Doc
            OK, Mode. 

Digging deep into the gyro's program is that actually the same thing. I recall with the heli gyros that changing between rate and head locking mode actually was a setting in the gain.  I wonder if Motion RC has a white paper to describe in more detail how the gyro software works. I know i've gotten this information when dealing with high end gyro's like the Spartan years ago.
            In the gyro's software usually a gain value of zero equates to off, 1 to 50% in normal (rate) and 50% and higher 3D (head locking).

Comment

The 3 way switch allows one to change between the two gain settings, or turn the gyro off. Doc

Comment

Back to your solution," Start with your TX. I'm using a DX6. In "aircraft type" apply normal wing. Then, reassign "rudder" to aux 1 (3 way switch)." 

This is often an issue in industry, who is responcible for the "problem".

Looking at the gyro it looks like you did nothing out of spec and/or not mentioned in the manual. Now the gyro is looking for a command from the RX (pulse width 1.1ms, 1.5ms, 1.9ms) to know which mode to operate in. In your situation this leave the Rudder output as the only unused RX output. Now you could have held the rudder stick over one way or the other to select the mode. But that would have been very impractical. So in your TX you opted to reassign (I used the term map) the "rudder" output from the TX to a 3 position switch.

Now by my read this would have been a question, how to reassign the TX outputs, for the OEM rep of your radio brand (Spektrum) not the gyro tech (MotionRC).

Even today most simple radios don't allow mapping of the TX outputs. This is why we have so many 6 channel RX in 4 channel aircraft. We historically have been forced to use 6 channel RX for dual aileron servos if we wanted TX adjustable aileron differential. Most older TX have this output assigned to the Aux output. 

Now I don't know how you phrased the question to MotionRC, but based on historical limitations of most simple radios I think what the Motion RC tech told you is correct. Most entry level radios would not allow you to use a simple 4 channel RX to gain access to the mode select function of the Gyro.

BTW, It is this freedom one gets from better thought out TX software that makes higher end radios such a great value. It's not that they have 12 plus channels but that the TX software allows for a vast array of solutions. Since the late 80's I've really liked the software found in the Multiplex radios (not limited to the Master Slave concept for mixing). Today you can find much the same software architecture in the Fr Sky Taranis-plus radio.

Here is an over view of the Taranis, a super powerful radio for around $250
                http://rctruth.com/index.php?topic=2322.0

All the best,
                Konrad

Comment

O.K., guys. Here is how you do it. (With little to no help. MRC tech told me it wouldn't work with a 4 ch. RX and that I would have to use a 6 ch. RX... With all due respect ... he was wrong. ) I made it work. In detail, here goes... Start with your TX. I'm using a DX6. In "aircraft type" apply normal wing. Then, reassign "rudder" to aux 1 (3 way switch). Now, plug R- AIL into no. 2 (ELE) on gyro and L-AIL into no.1 (AIL) on gyro. Leave no. 3 (RUD) open. Now, plug from MOD to Rud in your RX. Leave rudder on your gyro open. Now, plug gyro AIL to RX AIL and gyro ELE to RX ELE. This allows your 3- way switch to be in this order.. 0-3D, 1-off, 2-norm. Follow the MRC video instructions to check gyro correction. Finally! This works! Good luck! Doc   PS... This is for a Multiplex Funjet, which has no rudder, flaps or landing gear. Just elevon (flying wing).
                   After all this... my funjet doesn't even need a gyro, it's so stable. I did try it, on 10 o'clock gain setting. It was OK untill I pushed her up to about 95 MPH. It started fish tailing so I tuned the gyro off and it flew strait and level...hands off. Rather than just remove the gyro I'm gong to lower the gain to about 8 o'clock. At these speeds that might be all it needs. Doc

Comment

I know of no consumer RC model that needs a gyro.

While most of these piezo electric gyros are fast enough for some models that are inherently unstable (tail heavy). There are few servos that are fast enough to use in models that have negative margins of stability.

I will say that flying a gyroid model with the CofG very far aft and super fast servos (frame rate and response time) is an experience I hope you get a chance to try.

Comment

Working...
                    X