X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver Binding

This is probably going to be one of those duh moments but I'm blank right now.  I'm trying to bind my receiver to a new plane and as soon as I connect the battery to the ESC it starts a slow steady beeping and doesn't bind. 

I have a Spektrum DX 8 radio w/ a Spektrum 6 channel receiver.  Have the bind plug in, power the ESC first, turn the radio on w/ the bind button depressed  and nothing is happening.

Any thoughts on what obvious thing I'm overlooking?

Thanks

RE: Receiver Binding

Originally posted by Bellke
    This is probably going to be one of those duh moments but I'm blank right now.  I'm trying to bind my receiver to a new plane and as soon as I connect the battery to the ESC it starts a slow steady beeping and doesn't bind. 

I have a Spektrum DX 8 radio w/ a Spektrum 6 channel receiver.  Have the bind plug in, power the ESC first, turn the radio on w/ the bind button depressed  and nothing is happening.

Thanks
    When you plug in the ESC do you have a rapidly blinking light on the receiver? That indicates it's in bind mode. The beeps from the motor are normal. Also, are you using a separate BEC?

Steve
    AMA 95495
    Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
    Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer

I have a Spektrum DX 8 radio w/ a Spektrum 6 channel receiver.  Have the bind plug in, power the ESC first, turn the radio on w/ the bind button depressed and nothing is happening.

Thanks
      When you plug in the ESC do you have a rapidly blinking light on the receiver? That indicates it's in bind mode. The beeps from the motor are normal. Also, are you using a separate BEC?

Steve

Yes, the receiver is in bind mode (blinking); no, not using a separate BEC.  The beeps are about 2 sec apart and
      the receiver doesn't bind.  Light on receiver continues to blink

Comment

Originally posted by rc-eflyer

I have a Spektrum DX 8 radio w/ a Spektrum 6 channel receiver.  Have the bind plug in, power the ESC first, turn the radio on w/ the bind button depressed and nothing is happening.

Thanks

Steve

Yes, the receiver is in bind mode (blinking); no, not using a separate BEC.  The beeps are about 2 sec apart and
        the receiver doesn't bind.  Light on receiver continues to blink

Hmmmm...try moving a little farther from the receiver before turning on the Tx. That is according to Spektrums troubleshooting guide. If that doesn't work then I would try to determine if you have a malfunctioning Tx or Rx. Try binding a different Rx if you have one.

Steve
        AMA 95495
        Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
        Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Your bind plug might be in backwards

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Crunch
            Your bind plug might be in backwards
            It doesn't matter as it shorts pins 1&3, good guess though. ;)

Steve
            AMA 95495
            Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
            Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I use a Dx6. Sometimes I have to try as much as 4 or 5 times before the Rx will bind. I have no idea why it does this. Doc

Comment

I had that issue a few times, I was too close to the receiver. Backed away to about 6 feet, worked great.
                Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
                  I had that issue a few times, I was too close to the receiver. Backed away to about 6 feet, worked great.
                  Dittos....Back away....
                  Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                  Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Six feet...ten feet... sometimes it still takes several tries. Doc

Comment

I've been close to it and up to 20 ft away (and all distances between). Reversed the plug just in case, nothing plugged in other than the ESC. I've tried different receivers and get the same results.

The part that I keep wondering about is the slow beep I keep getting and what it means. The ESC manual has all sorts of symbols for various sounds (which I have no clue what they mean, I've got symbols that aren't even on my keyboard) but it doesn't address the sound I'm getting. I'm stuck

Comment

Hello Bellke,
                        The slow beeping comes from the motor which is generated by the ESC sending a signal to it. The slow beep is indicative of an improper throttle range that the ESC perceives even though there is no Rx bound. You have not indicated in prior posts what brand ESC you are using which could help diagnosis the issue. The Rx is most likely not binding because of this erroneous throttle range detection. Unhook the motor from the ESC, leave just the throttle signal cable from the ESC attached to the throttle port on the Rx to supply the Vcc(power voltage) and the bind plug in it's bind slot on the Rx. Plug battery into ESC and proceed with binding process on Rx. When the Rx binds disconnect battery and reconnect motor and you should be good to go. Once the Rx binds, if you still have a slow beep, there is a simple procedure to set the proper throttle range. Good luck.
                        Best Regards,
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                        X