X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REFLEX XTR² RC Flight Simulator

Hey guys I've been looking to get into flying fixed wings after years of flying FPV drones. I came across the Reflex XTR simulator on Motion RC and it had a free 14 day trial so I've been practicing with the limited planes and scenery and have been learning a bunch while having some fun. It was pretty easy to set up with just a USB cable and simple channel assignments.

Anyone else try out this simulator? Did you buy the full version? How does it compare to other popular simulators? Are you happy with the selection of aircraft and flying locations?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FS.PNG
Views:	1717
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	199366
    Attached Files

Hi Vinny Testa-- I mean Spinny---

I have been using this simulator for about three weeks now, and so far I really like it for the price. I have flown almost every simulator on the market over the past dozen years, and I think Reflex XTR2 is a great value. There is a good variety of flying fields, overall the resolution is excellent, and most importantly for someone like me the physics and model mechanics feel acceptably realistic. There are tuneable parameters for those of us who want to get deeper into that side of things, but for most users who are looking for a simulator that provides a similar flying/training/practicing experience at the level of Phoenix and Real Flight, this Reflex XTR2 is fairly straightforward.

The one wrinkle is it doesn't include a trainer radio or USB. We've ordered USB dongles and they're on the way. As for a trainer radio, I've tested it with my radios from Spektrum, Futaba, FrSky, Dynam, Hitec, and a couple others.

The instruction manual is very helpful. Follow it precisely and you should have no problems. If there's a step that took me extra time, it's the calibration steps. It's not as "push button" as some other simulators. Rather, you need to assign the channels by observing which input moves on the screen when you move your radio's sticks and switches. It takes about 30 seconds and only needs to be done once. The subtrim in your radio automatically translates to the screen without the need for additional calibration.

We're preparing a more in depth dive into this simulator, stay tuned for those videos soon. In the meantime I'm happy to answer any questions about it. We've sold quite a lot of them already, and --spoiler alert-- we're working with the developer for some future additions.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi Alpha

I would like to share my mixed experience with flight simulators over the past few years. I started out with FSOne. It was a "work in progress" with lots of bugs and an overall unsatisfactory. experience. When it was cancelled I bought Phoenix Version 5.5 primarily because it included my Apprentice as one of its aircraft and I thought (hoped) that it would give me a good training tool.

That turned out not to be the case for a number of reasons. Among them were poor documentation that wasted a lot of ink on explaining the obvious but didn't tell me how I should adjust settings to make the plane fly properly. To make things worse there were so many settings that it was nearly impossible to determine which needed adjusting and which didn't. As one example, I could never figure out whether the settings on the Transmitter took precedence over the settings in the software or vice versa. Finally, when flying the plane in the simulator at a distance from the field the simulator seemed to develop a mind of its own with no amount of stick input bringing it back. Not being able to trust the simulator to give me a proper training experience I gave up on it.

With Phoenix no longer supported I am now considering REFLEX as my primary training tool but I need some reassurance that it will work for me. Here some points I would like you to consider.

1. Provide a beginner level tutorial so that a new user can have a plane/copter that flies properly without a lot of fiddling. Leave the advanced stuff for later.

2. Explain the relationship between the settings on the transmitter and the the settings in the software.

3. Help the user to figure out how to easily add complexity to the simulation such as wind, lighting conditions, equipment failure, etc.

4. Review the documentation to ensure that it is helpful in understanding not just the what but also the how and why questions that are likely to come up.

5. Give the software to a complete novice and watch to see where the user interface stumps them.

6. Encourage a lively on line community at hobbysquawk that can answer questions when people get stuck.

I hope that these comments are of some help. I look forward to watching the planned videos.

Comment

Alpha,

Are there any groups or at least a common location where one could find other XTR2 users that would like to do multiplayer?

Hunter49x

Comment

Is there a list anywhere of all the models in this?

Comment

Working...
          X