X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrRCSound Aspire and Spektrum

Hi all- Looking for some help. I purchased an Aspire sound system for my Mustang. Radio is a Spektrum DX6 and the sound system is connected to the throttle channel via a y-cable. Problem is the sound doesn't come on until the throttle stick is pushed up past the 30% mark. I've tried setting the trim at different points before powering up the Aspire, no change. I've tried changing the endpoints of the throttle travel, no change. I've played with the throttle curve settings, and got the Aspire to respond to 20% up on the throttle, but that's about all. The trim adjustment seems to have little to no effect.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Try calibrating the throttle channel, how to do that, you turn the radio on and move the throttle stick to the top, then plug the plane in and you should hear two beeps (some esc's do the cell count first then two), when you do, you move the throttle to off, you should hear three beeps, turn every thing off and retry. R.
    AMA 424553

Comment

Welcome Itickle88 to Hobby Squawk! I concur with RRHandy to give a throttle calibration a try and see how it is does. Then report back

Comment

Hi James and RRHandy - Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the manual for the ESC (it is a Spektrum Avian 100amps) and followed the calibration procedure (which was pretty much like you said it would be). No joy and the result is the same. The odd thing is the throttle sound also does not respond to changes in throttle position (the revs don't go up and down with the motor), and sometimes the shutdown sound plays at full throttle. Just for giggles, I have another electric airplane with some cheap Chinese ESC and low and behold, the sound system works perfectly... same y-cable and all. I'm baffled. Any other ideas?? Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Itickle88 View Post
          Hi James and RRHandy - Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded the manual for the ESC (it is a Spektrum Avian 100amps) and followed the calibration procedure (which was pretty much like you said it would be). No joy and the result is the same. The odd thing is the throttle sound also does not respond to changes in throttle position (the revs don't go up and down with the motor), and sometimes the shutdown sound plays at full throttle. Just for giggles, I have another electric airplane with some cheap Chinese ESC and low and behold, the sound system works perfectly... same y-cable and all. I'm baffled. Any other ideas?? Thanks again!!
          I have the Aspire and the older version board in 8 planes and they can sometimes be a pain. But here's what I do and it works great for me.
          1) Plug in the battery without plugging in the sound system first, and let all the electronics initialize
          2) Take the throttle trim down to say around -50 (each plane works different though, some are -20 others around -70 and some in between) and then plug in the sound system, at which time it should not come on. (you've just "tricked" the board into thinking the -50 is the throttle 0 point)
          3) Use the throttle cut switch to disable the throttle, and set it for a value that is slightly above the point where the -50 trim setting is, and the sound system should not come on. If it does, reset either the -50 point of the throttle cut value until it doesn't come on. You will have to play around with this until you get it right.
          4) Now, with the throttle switch still cut, increase the throttle trim setting to a point that the prop would just barely begin to rotate (which point you will need to determine first before you start this). Each ESC and plane is different. Some of mine start at +20, and some like the 1600mm Corsair are all the way up to +76. As another example, my 1700mm FMS Red Tail P-51 bottom point is -66 when I plug in the sound, throttle cut switch is -110%, and trim to start the sound and prop is +30.
          5) Now, when you put the throttle cut switch back to on, the prop should just begin to rotate and the sound system should start, giving it a very "realistic" looking engine/prop start. Wait until it goes through it's sound start up sequence, then you can advance the throttle and fly. Additionally, if during taxiing, flying or on landing if you drop the throttle stick to 0, the sound system should stay on, because it "thinks" the off position is way down at -50 trim and you may actually be at +30 to +70. Then you will be able to shut the sound down when you engage the throttle cut switch at a time of your choosing, and the prop winds down as well.

When your sortie is over and you've disconnected the battery and sound card, REMEMBER to return the throttle trim setting to 0 on your transmitter so next time you fly the above procedure will work, instead of tricking your ESC on the throttle 0 point.

If you don't like the idea of the prop always turning even with the stick all the way, just drop the top trim setting to a point that the prop just stops and everything else should work the same.

Some don't like playing around with the throttle trim setting, however, Extreme Flight actually recommends increasing the throttle trim to a point that the 0 stick location is at or very near the point where the prop begins, which will give you much more low throttle sensitivity, very key in 3D flying. I do that on all 5 of my Extreme flight planes. And of course every one of my prop warbirds (and my Bi-Planes) have the sound system and I fly with the throttle stick 0 point with the prop just barely turning. I've noticed most planes ESC programming requires the stick to move quite a bit for the prop to start, and I like it being more sensitive at low throttle settings.

Hope this works for you.
          Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
          Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Originally posted by Itickle88 View Post
            Hi all- Looking for some help. I purchased an Aspire sound system for my Mustang. Radio is a Spektrum DX6 and the sound system is connected to the throttle channel via a y-cable. Problem is the sound doesn't come on until the throttle stick is pushed up past the 30% mark. I've tried setting the trim at different points before powering up the Aspire, no change. I've tried changing the endpoints of the throttle travel, no change. I've played with the throttle curve settings, and got the Aspire to respond to 20% up on the throttle, but that's about all. The trim adjustment seems to have little to no effect.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
            Hello I had the same issue and was able to fix it with a Spektrum .spm downloadable file . Go to https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...e-and-spektrum
            and read on from post 1317 . Note that mine worked well on a DX9 transmitter and that you can’t import another .spm file into an existing file. In other words you need to download the .spm file in the post and then reset your plane up from there.
            if you need more help just ask ! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Hiflyer45 View Post
              Hello I had the same issue and was able to fix it with a Spektrum .spm downloadable file . Go to https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...e-and-spektrum
              and read on from post 1317 . Note that mine worked well on a DX9 transmitter and that you can’t import another .spm file into an existing file. In other words you need to download the .spm file in the post and then reset your plane up from there.
              if you need more help just ask ! Good luck

Sorry that was the wrong link . Try this

Comment

Hiflyer45 Thanks- I’ll give it a try and report back! :)

Comment

Working...
                X