X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZOHD Kopilot Autopilot

I recently had the opportunity to try out the ZOHD autopilot system that Motion RC is now stocking. I found it to be a very interesting system and easy to install and set up. Although there are a couple of points to be aware of, and I will come to these as I describe and install the system. The system arrives nicely packaged in a plastic box and packed in a foam insert to keep it safe. A nice touch is the card label in the box lid showing not only the items in the box but also the wiring connections to the unit. The system consists of the following parts ZOHD Kopilot Autopilot System Flight Controller with GPS Module Mounting support, Adjustment board, Double side tape, A small screwdriver for making adjustments to the control board, and the User manual.

The Kopilot is basically a gyro with a GPS, so it knows where it is. It can be set up to operate as follows, off completely, gyro on, return to home, or geo-fence. It has to be set up on a 3 position switch on the transmitter and any 2 of the functions can be switched in flight. Before installing anything read and understand the instructions, there is nothing difficult but you do need to understand what’s going on. If you are using a Futaba transmitter the installation is quite simple. However, if you are using a Spectrum you will have to make some changes in your transmitter and that is because ZOHD has set the controls in the following manner. Ailerons Ch1, Elevator Ch2, Motor Ch3, and Rudder Ch4. If you are using a Spectrum you will know that Ch1 is the throttle, Ch2, is the aileron, Ch3, is the elevator and Ch4 is the rudder. You will have to re-assign the channel configuration to comply with the Copilot channels. The instructions for channel configuration will be covered in the radio instruction manual. If you are using an obscure radio that does not have the channel configuration facility it is possible to change the signal wires in the plug of the Copilot to reflect the transmitter channels. However, if at all possible change the channel configuration in your transmitter.

I installed my system in my trusty Freewing Pandora test model. I set it up with system off, gyro on, and or return home. With the gyro function selected it will react the same as the Admiral receiver gyro in auto level mode. The model will fly straight and level, if you bank the model and let go of the controls it will roll to level flight. Switching the gyro off the pilot has full control, and if you roll to inverted and switch on the gyro the model will instantly roll the right way up. Just as you would with any gyro you do have to set the sensitivity to provide the desired effect. Switching to the return to home function the model will return to the take-off point. Switching to the geo-fence will limit the distance the model is permitted to travel away from the take-off point.

To move from one function to another there is a small dial in the control board that has to be set up before the switch will work on the transmitter. The control board incidentally is completely detachable from the gyro unit and can be removed from the model after set up if you desire. I left mine in place, that way I know where it is at all time and it won’t get lost. Without it you can not make adjustments. Full set up details is included in the instruction manual supplied with the unit. Please see the link below.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...lot_Manual.pdf

It’s a very interesting little device and is another take on a gyro with the capability of a return to home function. Please note, however, the device will not auto-land the model or take off, but it could save a model from a crash and return to the take-off point.

The two pictures below show the installation and the model in flight. I took the other picture while flying the model.

PappaBear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZOHD .jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	264028Click image for larger version

Name:	Pandora.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	264029

Thanks for the detailed review. I've been looking at getting some of these myself. I like the RTH and Geo Fence capabilities that it has.

Comment

Can this be used with a 4 channel AR410?
      Just let me fly so I may be free

Comment

Working...
      X