X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing Gyro

What's the best way to secure a gyro? Double-sided tape, velcro, or glue(foam tac)? I recently had a crash while having my gyro secured with velcro. I thought I crashed cause I misjudged how close I was to an object. But, while inspecting the plane I noticed that the receiver's velcro detached from the other piece of velcro it attaches too. It was a hard crash. So, I don't know if it detached before or after the crash.

Curious as to which method you guys use.

If the layout permits I design and print a case/holder for the Rx which is then secured to the plane. It's nice being able to remove the Rx easily.

But for most planes, good strong double sided tape.

Comment

In the (high vibration) RC heli world, the general consensus is:
      3M 4011 tape, (Permanent Outdoor Mounting tape) - available at any hardware store.
      Strong bond, excellent vibration damping = Good Stuff.

Comment

They make double sided sticky foam pads (~4mm thick). Gyros should be mounted securely, NOT being able to move BUT not stuck too solidly to the plane (vibrations). Velcro, even if it doesn't let go, still allows a bit too much movement.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Comment

I use double sided Gorilla tape. It's pretty thick like Servo Tape, and once it sets up you really have to want it to come out...

Comment

dam718 I've used the Gorilla tape in the past, too.

In general, for gas/nitro setups, I use thicker, softer tape, so the higher frequency vibrations are better isolated from the gyro. If it's really bad, I'll wrap it in open cell foam or suspend it with hard rubber balls (used for gimbals).

For lower frequency vibrations, such as what is typically seen in foam electric setups, I use shorter, denser foam tape. Typical stuff that is included with, say, a Hobby Eagle gyro or similar.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I bought the Gorilla tape for my foam planes. Haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Working...
                X