X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's New Flight Simulator 2020

Has anybody downloaded/purchased the new gen flight simulator software from Microsoft? I have been chomping at the bit every since I saw the first screenshots and teaser video over a year ago. Especially since I lost my FSX due to having to move to Windows 10 for work. I had tons of money invested in all the add-ons, upgrades, payware, textures, etc...Had my settings perfect. No I'm not bitter or anything.

So when this was announced I was ecstatic. I was able to download it the other day (90 Gigs!! Not for the faint of heart or someone with a slow internet connection) for $1 as a tryout for a month using the Xbox Game Pass for PC. If you're interested the deal is still going on through the rest of August. Then it's $4.99 a month. Or you buy the program outright as either a download or physical DVD setup. My quick synopsis is that it is INCREDIBLE as far as potential. The entire world is available to you but not without a huge penalty. I was under the impression that the bulk of the work would be processed via the Cloud so it wouldn't tax your PC too much. Not at all the case. In order to run it on the high/Ultra/4K settings (which is visually astonishing!) you need to have one heck of a top of the line graphics card (my Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 card which was decent four years ago is now sub-par...Think more along the lines of the RTX 2080), at least 32MG RAM and a dedicated SSD to even attempt. So I was pretty humbled when what I thought was a decent mid-level PC can only play it on low settings.

But despite any bugs/fixes that are imminent, always with any new release, this sim is worth upgrading your PC if you love flight simulation. So please post any and all comments, experiences, suggestions, tips and tricks, etc...that has to do with this new release. Anxious to hear other's experiences and information.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

I got it and fly on it at least once a day. Even watched my friends plane fly take off in real time. That was cool. As for my computer it's a intel 9700K with 32gigs of ram, 3 ssd drives, and a 2060 super OC video card. It runs pretty well on mine.

Comment

Yeah that's better than what I have for sure...I am needing to seriously upgrade my machine to get the performance I am wanting out of this sim. I have 32G RAM and my processor isn't that out of date but boy I need a more robust system overall to even attempt the Ultra/4K settings I desire that's for sure.
      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yes I've been playing since launch day. It's a remarkable piece of software. I mucked around with the mod airliners in Xplane 11 but honestly the systems are just so complex, the default planes in FS2020 hit a good balance I think. I do yearn for a 737 though, A320s are creepy. Performance is great on a 9900K/1080TI with 16GB RAM, playing on two 1080P monitors.

Was playing with an A-10 hotas but have acquired a more suitable yoke and throttle quadrant. If you have an old webcam sitting around, check out facetracknoir - the dev charges a few euros for it, but it's an incredibly robust alternative to track IR.

Seriously i just find myself saying 'wow' every time i play it. Have been all around my home town, recreated an interstate flight that I used to take once a month (remember when we flew places for work lol?) and tracked the hurricane that recently made land in Texas. A week in and there's hundreds of skins made by the community and everyone is figuring out how to update certain bits of scenery from Google Earth where the AI in FS2020 doesnt get it quite right - if FS2020 is around for 16 years like FSX was, it's going to be an awesome journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
          Yeah that's better than what I have for sure...I am needing to seriously upgrade my machine to get the performance I am wanting out of this sim. I have 32G RAM and my processor isn't that out of date but boy I need a more robust system overall to even attempt the Ultra/4K settings I desire that's for sure.
          I think nvidia is coming out with the 3000 series soon, that will be a great improvement

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post

I think nvidia is coming out with the 3000 series soon, that will be a great improvement
            I hear they're also abandoning this nonsense power limiting business too. Takes a lot to convince me to pull apart the water cooling loop to replace components, but a 400W card should double nicely as a space heater :)

Comment

mshagg you are so right...The reach of this new gen software is unparalled. The scope is beyond measure. The entire planet mapped to 4K (IF you can handle it) and my point is most cannot. A year ago I thought my machine was more than enough to handle this new upgrade because, well...I believed the lights and glitter of their fancy teaser videos, of course shot in perfect Ultra/4K on machines that make all of ours look laughable, all the while buying into this notion that "The Cloud" would handle most of the processing and all you needed was a strong Internet connection, yadda yadda....

I should have known. So now here I sit, waiting for the next gen release of the latest and greatest Nvidia card, 3000 series or so...And what about the CPU? SSD? Where does it end until I find myself immersed in the experience I want and expect out of this blisfull new release?

Then again, if I dare look back at the money I've spent on these blessed RC models we've had the pleasure to see released over the past several years, I suppose I could have bought enough super graphic machines to run this dang sim at max levels 10 times over so I should quit complaining.

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

FSX crippled machines when it came out, so maybe Asobo/Microsoft are pitching the game at hardware which is still two or three generations away? I kinda like the idea - you'll be rewarded when you do upgrade.

Comment

Yes indeed, and I'm waiting for the VR module to come out. That is going to be the ultimate epicness! My oculus craves substance!

Comment

VR would be ridiculous!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Xplane 11 is pretty good, as is dcs, but this would destroy those both

Comment

Yep. DCS is great but the potential of FS is off the charts.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

For grins and giggles I landed a 172 on our club field.

Comment

lol, yeah I've been doing all kinds of naughty things (naughty to the FAA at least) with the sim. Some day when I'm all growed up I want to fly it on a machine that can actually handle the Ultra/4K settings!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

With those new nvidia cards that day should come soon

Comment

Nvidia just said dont expect any in stock cards till 2021......awesome release.

Comment

Flight Sim Newbie
                                  Using my DX 8 as the control platform until I get the Yoke, Pedals and quadrant set up. Got my PPL 23 years ago, so to say I'm "Rusty" is an understatement. My VFR experience in a Cessna 172 has been helpful in X PLANE 11 and I'm looking into MSFS 2020 but my first Goal is to nail some ILS Approaches with the GARMIN G1000. So far I have been successful with the VNAV and VOR non-Precision Approaches but to be honest about it, I have had to "Un-Learn" some bad habits I picked up in Phoenix and Real Flight RC Simulators C- 172 Circuit and Pattern Flying. If your interested in keeping up your proficiency with out spending the money for the Professional version, I would highly recommend X Plane 11 with the Upgrades to aircraft with the G1000 and G1000 Nxi. Be interested to see if anyone else out there in RC Sim world has ventured into Learning Instrument Flying (and Using a Spektrum DX8) to fly with.
                                  Happy Flying
                                  WVSF-VFR

Comment

Welcome WVSF-VFR ! X Plane 11 is a nice platform for sim. I am currently immersed in MSFS. I would like to start flying realistically, IFR/VFR/ILS/VOR, etc...For now I'm being extremely lazy and just flying. I only have 8 hours logged in a 172.
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hello Fellow Aviator.... AKA AROS
                                      Glad to hear from you....Be glad to share as we both Learn more about being a "Simmer". From everything I have learned thus far, X Plane is for the more serious Pilots. I am tempted to purchase MSFS 2020 because I think the "Visual" aspect is far superior to X Plane11 or PD3 (Lockheed).... but I have also learned that X Plane 11 is much more realistic in terms of "STUDY LEVEL" flying and Learning. My goal is to Pass the IFR Knowledge Test and Instrument Check Ride so my motivation is perhaps a little different than the average "Simmer"....... I am not even going to attempt to Fly a Boeing 737 - 800 without really understanding the FMS (Flight Management System) especially in IMC . (Instrument Metalurgical Conditions). I have so much to learn in "My Old Cessna 172" and I have forgotten half the stuff I learned . I would be very interested in your experience with MSFS 2020 and how you go about solving "Practical" issues.... like Putting in Flight Plans with SKYVECTOR or Navigraph etc ........ Look forward to hearing from you. By the way.... I do go back occasionally and fly Real Flight 9.5.... Its amazing how my flying skills have improved using X Plane 11...

WVSF-VFR

Comment

Working...
                                      X