You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spektrum Forward Programming Discussion (AR630/AR637T)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tokinpurpleguy View Post
    I’m not entirely sure if this is off topic. I’m fairly new to the hobby. I have a couple ar630 receivers and I just got a blade cfx300 helicopter. I was hoping I’d be able to use the ar630 with it. Is that possible? If so is there a link or something that you can direct me to that’d be able to assist me in that setup? Any help to this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
    I don't have any of these RXs, but if you look at the Horizon site, and check out the aircraft RXs vs helicopter RXs, the AR630 is only listed in the aircraft section and NOT in the helicopter section. This may be a clue to the answer you seek. This helicopter requires a receiver with a flybarless control system.

Comment

Dan, you help me please!

I need help with getting Spectrum SAFE and AX3X working.

I installed a Spectrum AR8360T receiver in a Phoenix F4U Corsair.

I created a new model:
      --Model type: (airplane)
      - Aircraft Type: (wing and tail normal) (I have two ailerons with Y connector to one servo)
      --Channel assignment: 5 (gear) to B and Aux 1 to I.
      - I set expo and rates then bound the receiver to the NX10, no problem, all controls work as expected.
      - I entered “Forward Programming” set plane orientation and verified it was correct, set FM Channel to B, set AX3X in Fight Modes to active for flight mode 1 and 2 (left 3 blank) left the AX3X gains, priority, heading as is, it then rebooted the receiver. I raised the throttle beyond 25% and got no AX3X response when moving airplane, also SAFE does not work, I have no control surface chatter or movement from any control surface. There is nowhere to set SAFE in Forward Programming, yes, I know it should be on the screen like AX3X in Flight Mode to turn on or off, but it is not visible on any of the screen menus. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynntf View Post
        Dan, you help me please!

I need help with getting Spectrum SAFE and AX3X working.

I installed a Spectrum AR8360T receiver in a Phoenix F4U Corsair.

I created a new model:
        --Model type: (airplane)
        - Aircraft Type: (wing and tail normal) (I have two ailerons with Y connector to one servo)
        --Channel assignment: 5 (gear) to B and Aux 1 to I.
        - I set expo and rates then bound the receiver to the NX10, no problem, all controls work as expected.
        - I entered “Forward Programming” set plane orientation and verified it was correct, set FM Channel to B, set AX3X in Fight Modes to active for flight mode 1 and 2 (left 3 blank) left the AX3X gains, priority, heading as is, it then rebooted the receiver. I raised the throttle beyond 25% and got no AX3X response when moving airplane, also SAFE does not work, I have no control surface chatter or movement from any control surface. There is nowhere to set SAFE in Forward Programming, yes, I know it should be on the screen like AX3X in Flight Mode to turn on or off, but it is not visible on any of the screen menus. Any help is appreciated.
        It's heresy to write this, but you'll get a better response in the RCGroups threads on these receivers and transmitters because some of the Spektrum engineers participate in those threads.

Incidentally, there is some bad information in THIS thread.

Comment

I hope you can help me. I have a AR637TA in a Night Timber and am using a DX8G2. The radio is showing "forward programming" in it's menu, however, I keep getting a "connection failed" warning. I have tried using a DX9 as well with the same results. Am I doing something wrong or is the AR637TA not forward programmable?

Comment

Originally posted by rcforvets View Post
            I hope you can help me. I have a AR637TA in a Night Timber and am using a DX8G2. The radio is showing "forward programming" in it's menu, however, I keep getting a "connection failed" warning. I have tried using a DX9 as well with the same results. Am I doing something wrong or is the AR637TA not forward programmable?
            The "TA" is a "locke" RX, programmed for the Night Timber. Any "locked" Spektrum RX will not connect to forward programming. If you want to open it up, it may be possible to do so by doing an update and wipe. However this is no guarantee that it will work and may ruin the RX for the Timber.

Comment

Hi guys, just received my ar630 as 3x receiver. Have done everything that was asked to do. Level the airplane put it on its nose and then walk through the forward programming. Set all the perimeters to make this fast like, 75 75 50 75, 35 35 35 and 0 on rudder. Mode one exactly nothing as it should do. Mode two when I put nose down and tail up it stays with up elevator like it is in heading hold. Does same thing on mode 3. Went back to factory default three times. Same result. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Help

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus Bobby View Post
                Hi guys, just received my ar630 as 3x receiver. Have done everything that was asked to do. Level the airplane put it on its nose and then walk through the forward programming. Set all the perimeters to make this fast like, 75 75 50 75, 35 35 35 and 0 on rudder. Mode one exactly nothing as it should do. Mode two when I put nose down and tail up it stays with up elevator like it is in heading home. Does same thing on mode 3. Went back to factory default three times. Same result. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Help
                It's quite hard to explain this to someone over the internet. I've tried with people over the phone and it's nearly impossible because there are so many steps that need to be done and then some back tracking required to do more steps. I end up doing it in person on the friend's transmitter for him and he's watching me and I can't explain what and why I did what I did. It's something one just has to learn by trial and error.
                Anyway let's see what's going on with your situation. I can't understand what all those numbers are about. Why is there a cluster of 4 numbers, then a cluster of 3 numbers? What are those? The part about the elevator staying up when you hold the plane nose down has to do with SAFE. It's trying to level out. If it does the same in flight mode 3, that just means you duplicated flight mode 2. The settings for SAFE need not be altered, only to assign a flight mode for it. The pre-programmed numbers for SAFE are fine and should be left alone.
                Clear everything and start at the beginning page of forward programming. After you do a step, you need to do what it says to "save" it or "apply" it before leaving that page. I can't remember exactly what they use for wording. There is also the matter of a switch assignment for the different flight modes and each switch position must be programmed to do different things and then saved or applied. From here, this is about as much help as I can lend. Have you tried looking at some of the videos from Horizon Hobby and Spektrum on forward programming? There are a couple in particular that are very helpful.

Comment

Hi guys, just received my ar630 as 3x receiver. Have done everything that was asked to do. Level the airplane put it on its nose and then walk through the forward programming. Set all the perimeters to make this fast like, 75 75 50 75, 35 35 35 and 0 on rudder. Mode one exactly nothing as it should do. Mode two when I put nose down and tail up it stays with up elevator like it is in heading hold. Does same thing on mode 3. Went back to factory default three times. Same result. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Help
                  I strongly recommend the following detailed document from flightengr on RCG. It gives step by step instructions along with explanations of what is going on and what you should see at each step.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...637T-with-SAFE

I also recommend using the default parameters until you have test flown the aircraft. Just guessing a bunch of numbers to make it "fast like" is a recipe for disaster.

Most people use three modes on a three position switch (most use switch B). They are "Off", AS3X only, and AS3X + SAFE. You should always have an "Off" mode in case you screwed up the stabilization settings.

Are you aware that AS3X only becomes active after the throttle has first been opened to 25% or more, but SAFE is active immediately?

Comment

Okay great, thanks for the information. I did use the same perimeters as the guy did on YouTube that had the old EDF silver jet. I was aware of the 25% throttle. I guess the reason I think it's not working right is when I am in mode 2 which is as3x the controls stay locked until I put the airplane back in level position. Unlike the Valiant I own in any position deflects quickly and returns back to zero throw on control surfaces. I keep think I'm doing something wrong in forward programming. Thanks

Comment

Okay great, thanks for the information. I did use the same perimeters as the guy did on YouTube that had the old EDF silver jet.
                      Very bad idea. You have no idea how his control throws, moments, etc. compare to yours.

Lots of people post rubbish on YouTube. If all else fails you could always go to the actual instruction manual. AS3X/SAFE setup begins on page 8

And it's "parameters", not "perimeters".

Comment

Unlike the Valiant I own in any position deflects quickly and returns back to zero throw on control surfaces. I keep think I'm doing something wrong in forward programming. Thanks
                        Did your Valiant come pre-programmed, including switch assignment? "In any position" only means you never activated SAFE. It is very likely that you are doing something wrong and/or missing many steps in the process. You might be best to find someone near you who has experience with "smart" RXs to go through it all with you. It's almost a good thing that it didn't work properly. Had you flown it with those weird numbers, it most likely would have ended up a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                          Did your Valiant come pre-programmed, including switch assignment? "In any position" only means you never activated SAFE. It is very likely that you are doing something wrong and/or missing many steps in the process. You might be best to find someone near you who has experience with "smart" RXs to go through it all with you. It's almost a good thing that it didn't work properly. Had you flown it with those weird numbers, it most likely would have ended up a disaster.
                          Also the BNF Valiant is set up with "SAFE select", which kind-of emulates the old AR636 way of doing things. The forward programming on the 630/631/637 is actually a far better way, but sufficiently different to be confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Also the BNF Valiant is set up with "SAFE select", which kind-of emulates the old AR636 way of doing things. The forward programming on the 630/631/637 is actually a far better way, but sufficiently different to be confusing.
                            That is correct. However, I've witnessed at my own field, several guys with these Valiants either tried and failed to activate SAFE or they had no idea how to do it. It involved binding the plane in a certain way. Sometimes, people never realized they had to do something different or they went through the binding routine and it never took hold. This may have been a hold over from the early days of the Apprentice with SAFE select. A friend went through the binding process over a dozen times before SAFE finally worked. Others just gave up and flew it on AS3X only.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              That is correct. However, I've witnessed at my own field, several guys with these Valiants either tried and failed to activate SAFE or they had no idea how to do it. It involved binding the plane in a certain way. Sometimes, people never realized they had to do something different or they went through the binding routine and it never took hold. This may have been a hold over from the early days of the Apprentice with SAFE select. A friend went through the binding process over a dozen times before SAFE finally worked. Others just gave up and flew it on AS3X only.
                              Sometimes it helps to read instructions, but that is unAmerican.

Comment

I guess first off, I fly a single stick because I have an essential tremor in my left hand. So I know how to spell parameters but when I use Google Voice it just put the wrong spelling in and forgot to spell check. LOL
                                I fly mostly gas but started to get hooked on electric. Never fly with safe. With this tremor I do kind of enjoy the as3x in stronger cross wind situations. I actually went back to factory default and followed the directions from I believe Horizon Hobby. Set everything up as he said in his tutorials. The only thing that confuses me again is when I am in as3x put the nose down the elevator goes up and stays there until I level the nose. I understand what it's doing but in all the factory set receivers it just goes quickly to up back to level again. So I guess this is what is confusing me. I have a friend here that can help me tomorrow. I'm starting to think the receiver may be defective.
                                I owned Cactus Aviation models for 12 years and have been flying for quite a while. But this thing has got me over a hill for sure. LOL

Comment

The only thing that confuses me again is when I am in as3x put the nose down the elevator goes up and stays there until I level the nose. I understand what it's doing but in all the factory set receivers it just goes quickly to up back to level again. So I guess this is what is confusing me. I have a friend here that can help me tomorrow. I'm starting to think the receiver may be defective.
                                  I owned Cactus Aviation models for 12 years and have been flying for quite a while. But this thing has got me over a hill for sure. LOL
                                  It appears that SAFE is enabled in addition to AS3X in that mode. Check your SAFE settings.

Comment

^ Yup, what he said. Somehow you've programmed SAFE (or AS6X) for that switch position.

Comment

Okay. Thanks for that guys. I'll take a look at it and get back. I also have two Bavarian cortex gyros. They're pretty pricey but work awesome and very user friendly. I put the second one in my 40% pilot Edge 540.

Comment

Okay. Thanks for that guys. I'll take a look at it and get back. I also have two Bavarian cortex gyros. They're pretty pricey but work awesome and very user friendly. I put the second one in my 40% pilot Edge 540.
                                        If you have installed this cortex gyro in the same plane that you have the AS3X receiver - a CAUTION. You should not be using 2 gyros in series. It can do all sorts of weird and sometimes nasty/dangerous things.

Comment

No, I have the cortex gyro in my 40% pilot Edge 540. I'm using the AR8020T.
                                          you know though you were right. Somehow I got AS3X in with safe.... I did a factory reset and program it without safe and put the gain on my right knob on my dx9. Everything seems to work great. I will first fly my Flex innovation Vintique without the AS3X activated.
                                          thanks for the advice and all the help.

Comment

Working...
                                          X