• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for a noob on the Eagle A3 Super 3 Gyro

HELLO!

I am going to try putting a couple of these Eagle A3 Super 3

gyros in my planes...
    I have a few questions if anybody can help me with advice I would appreciate it much! Thanks

What I want is to use only 2 of the functions mainly Stabilization (normal) and the Atti 3D setting to hold the knife edge and 4 point rolls etc

The field I am at this year swirls in the wind and I lost a plane like this so I would like to have the stabilization for Landing and Taking off so it doesn't flip like one of mine just did, so unfortunate ...
    and I would like the the 3D mode for knife edges etc.

I have seen I can set this up on a switch say OFF, Stab (normal),3D
    Could I set the 2 modes on separate switches OFF/ON for each or if they both were on what would happen ?
    Would I keep one or both of them on all the time? ETC :)

GAIN questions: I have a Spektrum DX9 so I see I can map the gain to the rotary nob up top! What my question would be is is that once I have the gain dialed in how could I find this GAIN VALUE the nob is set to and then set the gain permanently and disconnect the nob...Once I have it set to work right I don't want to fool with it or worry if the nob was turned in transport etc...

Also the gyros are going into planes that I have flown and trimmed out for the most part so do I just hook up the gyro as per instructions and LEAVE all the trimming alone then?
    They say set the main gain at 30% to start with...Is that going to stop the plane from flipping in the swirl of the changing wind direction? This is the goal and I'd hate to not have enough gain to do the one main job I want to install them for "To save the plane" landing and taking off. I am sorry I am new to this. I have flown for a few years now but never a gyro just plain Jane RXes but thought maybe I could not have a plane totaled 'with some electronic help" once and a while :)

Thanks for any advice on how to set this up!

RonK99

Forgot to ask...what about mixing? I would like to mix a bit of rud to my ailerons....Can I still do this and the gyro will still work ok?
    Thanks again!~

I don't use your model of HobbyEagle. I only use the A3-L, so my answers will have to be taken with a grain of salt but since nobody has yet to answer you, I'll give it stab.

3D mode won't help you do knife edges or point rolls any better. 3D is used more for when you are flying a 3D plane with little to zero airspeed when the plane is being controlled by prop thrust, like when hovering and doing prop hangs. The speed at which you fly for a knife edge may only serve to make the 3D mode way too sensitive and oscillate the plane out of control. Normal mode should be enough to assist in those maneuvers. In my planes (non-3D), I turn the 3D gain to zero as having any gain makes the plane go crazy at speed.
    The gain knob runs whatever gain setting you have set in the gyro from 0% to 100%. So, if you have the gain set in the gyro to say, 50% and your master gain knob is in the middle (ie, 50%), then your actual gain is 50% of 50% or 25%.
    Most gyros will tolerate some slight trim, however, they don't like too much trim. If your plane has lots of trim on any control surface, best to center the trim tabs and manual set the control surface to what that trim did.
    As I indicated before, if you want 30% total gain and you are using the knob, then that knob needs to be at 100% or you'll get a percentage of that 30%.
    Mixing won't affect the gyro. Eg. If you mix AIL>RUD, the gyro won't directly affect RUD in the mix, but will still affect AIL. The RUD will continue to have gyro control via the gain setting in the gyro directly. Know that for any gain setting, AIL is the most affected, then comes ELE and lastly, RUD. IE, RUD requires way more gain than AIL before it oscillates.

Comment

I want to know if the A3 Pro 6 Axis gyro will work with a Frsky D8R-11 plus receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark 9 View Post
        I want to know if the A3 Pro 6 Axis gyro will work with a Frsky D8R-11 plus receiver?
        I'm not familiar with that RX. Does it have a built in gyro? The A3 is something goes between the RX and the servos and so long as the RX doesn't have its own gyro in it, it should work. You can't put two gyros in series.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
          I don't use your model of HobbyEagle. I only use the A3-L, so my answers will have to be taken with a grain of salt but since nobody has yet to answer you, I'll give it stab.

3D mode won't help you do knife edges or point rolls any better. 3D is used more for when you are flying a 3D plane with little to zero airspeed when the plane is being controlled by prop thrust, like when hovering and doing prop hangs. The speed at which you fly for a knife edge may only serve to make the 3D mode way too sensitive and oscillate the plane out of control. Normal mode should be enough to assist in those maneuvers. In my planes (non-3D), I turn the 3D gain to zero as having any gain makes the plane go crazy at speed.
          The gain knob runs whatever gain setting you have set in the gyro from 0% to 100%. So, if you have the gain set in the gyro to say, 50% and your master gain knob is in the middle (ie, 50%), then your actual gain is 50% of 50% or 25%.
          Most gyros will tolerate some slight trim, however, they don't like too much trim. If your plane has lots of trim on any control surface, best to center the trim tabs and manual set the control surface to what that trim did.
          As I indicated before, if you want 30% total gain and you are using the knob, then that knob needs to be at 100% or you'll get a percentage of that 30%.
          Mixing won't affect the gyro. Eg. If you mix AIL>RUD, the gyro won't directly affect RUD in the mix, but will still affect AIL. The RUD will continue to have gyro control via the gain setting in the gyro directly. Know that for any gain setting, AIL is the most affected, then comes ELE and lastly, RUD. IE, RUD requires way more gain than AIL before it oscillates.
          Thanks for the reply don't fly the hanging 3D so I better set that to 0 as well, I don't need squirrelly plane :)
          Thanks
          Ron

Comment

Working...
          X