You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help setting Up Flaperons with eFlite Conscendo Evolution with AS3X and SAFE Select

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help setting Up Flaperons with eFlite Conscendo Evolution with AS3X and SAFE Select

I have decided to endever to setup flaperons on my eFlite Conscendo Evolution 1.5m with AS3X and SAFE Select. I removed the aileron Y cable and connected one aileron cable to the aileron port on the AR637TA 6-Channel Receiver and the other aileron cable to the Aux1 port. Then I went into my Spektrum DX6 transmitter setting for the Conscendo, which was setup by the book, and changed the aircraft type from normal ailerons to flaperons. I then rebooted the transmitter and went into the flap setting and configured takeoff and landing flaps. It all worked flawlessly and I was very proud of myself for doing this and it working right out of the gate except for one problem. Both Safe and AS3X do not function on the aileron that is connected to AUX1. They do function on the recever port connected to the aileron. Does anyone know how to correct this so I can still maintain the safe fuction while using flaperons???

I have not done flaperons on a SAFE select RX, however, the way you did it, I'm not surprised that only the aileron channel was affected by the AS3X. I can only suggest you try to set the wing type in the RX, rather than the TX. Tell the RX which control surface is doing what. That might redistribute the AS3X to the other aileron. You'll have to put the wing type back to "normal" on the TX and this will eliminate the flap menu, so that part of it, I don't know how you'd get that back. It'll just default to the flap switch and give you 0%, 50% and 100% flap deflection by default, with no ability to slow it down. You may be able to do a switch assignment in the RX.

Comment

So how do I set the wing type in the RX? I have the Bluetooth RX programming device (SPMBT1000) that connects bind port on my AR637TA RX and I connect with the AS3X Programming app on my iPhone but when I do, this receiver is not a selectable option. Is there another way to do this?

Comment

Do you have "forward programming on your DX6? If you do, that might be one way. However, with your Bluetooth dongle and smart phone APP, you should be able to see a menu page where it shows you the control surfaces of the plane and that's where you tell it what you want each control surface to be.

Comment

Thank viper, I found a video that showed me how to unlocked my RX and also upgraded my TX with the latest software. This gave me the “Forward Programming” option on my radio. As a result, I was able to configure my flaperons and maintain AS3X / Safe. Now I just need to test fly it.

Comment

I just stumbled on this post looking to do the exact same thing. So it looks like you have to unlock the receiver in order to keep proper as3x and Safe functionality? I don’t have that programming cable, so I would need to get that on order if it is necessary. I am finding it extremely difficult to scrub speed on the evolution. Tomcat, maybe you can keep us posted on how everything goes for you and maybe a little more detail on exactly what you had to do. Thanks!

Comment

Im looking to do this EXACT same thing. Have you considered spoilerons instead? I need to slow this plane down for landings. I have the NX8 so Im sure the process will be the same. Please let us know what you did and how it works. Will there be a how-to-video? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I’m not sure how Tomcat came along with his setup, but I got mine working. I have both spoilers and flaperons. I also setup a snap flap mix to have flaps with elevator. I went out and tested today. I need to do some more testing, but overall I think it’s worth the effort.

So you have to get the Spektrum programming cable. Then update the receiver to unlock the forward programming. Next you have to do a factory reset on the receiver to get the rest of the options unlocked. At this point you have lost all of the SAFE and AS3X settings. You will need to set up all these settings again including failsafe and all gains. You also need to get rid of the y cable and plug both ailerons into seperate ports (2 and 6 I think). Now setup the new plane as a normal plane with flaperons, or as a sailplane with camber settings.

Comment

So here is my final chapter for this aircraft. After upgrading my radio with the forward programming function and resetting my Spectrum receiver, I was able to reprogram it to where flaperons, safe and AS3X work on all surfaces. I did a maiden a couple days ago to checkout the flaperons and it worked great. I originally mixed some down elevator with the flaperons but found out zero or -2% was better.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Comment

Hi guys, how do you manually reset the RX? I have an AR636B. Do you just reupload the firmware manually through the Spectrum programmer as I couldn't see any reset button in the software? Thanks!

Comment

There are a couple ways to reset your RX. (1) If your RX is newer and can connect wirelessly to you TX use the "Forward Programming" function to reset the RX. (2) If you have the Bluetooth RX cable which connects to a smart phone, then use the Spektrum Programming App to reset it and (3) if you have the USB cable that connects to a PC or laptop, you can reset the RX using that and the downloaded Spektrum software. In my case, the AR637TA RX connected wirelessly to my TX using the Forward Programming function in my TX.

Comment

I to understand the Conscendo just won’t stop. I need flaperons badly. You guys are talking way over my head but here is an observation that may be useful. I believe one of the wing servos has reverse polarity from the other wing servo, that’s why you can connect the servos to either connector from the plane. I hope I am correct in this and that this info may make getting flaperons an easer program.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernCross View Post
                          I to understand the Conscendo just won’t stop. I need flaperons badly. You guys are talking way over my head but here is an observation that may be useful. I believe one of the wing servos has reverse polarity from the other wing servo, that’s why you can connect the servos to either connector from the plane. I hope I am correct in this and that this info may make getting flaperons an easer program.
                          I don't have this plane but looking at the manual and the information on the Horizon website, they use the same servos in all locations. Thus, none are "reversed". You can "Y" the two wing servo together because they are mounted in mirror image. In this way, you don't need a reversed servo. If you wish to have flaperons, it depends on the receiver you have in it. If you have the BNF plane, the stock RX may not allow you to program for flaperons. If you have a PNP and are using a non-preprogrammed RX, then you simply separate the two wing servos into their own channels (one goes into AIL, the other goes into AUX1 or flap or Channel 6 for Spektrum), tell the TX you have flaperons as "aircraft type". This opens up the flap menu and you can then program deflection and speed of flaps and the switch you use to deploy them.

Comment

Dear xviper, Well it’s been a long time since you responded to my little post. At the time I did not understand why you would make observations and suggestions concerning a plane you do not own or fly, but that’s OK. Over the past year I have learned much and saw YouTube guys that have more experience flying the Conscendo than you or me at the time had a easy fix that did with great success. This link, https://youtu.be/t7CvwFSbRDU will show how one guy did it. I did it a bit differently as I beveled the front of the cut outs and made hinges out of very thin wires with connected twisted eyelets from wing to flap. Remember my friend, everybody crashes, don’t give up.

Comment

You cannot forward program AR636A or B receivers on your transmitter, that has to be done on the computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X