X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation when charging a LiPo

Well, it's curious... For a better conservation/operation of a LiPo, should it be fully discharged or disconnected shortly before it runs out and charged? By completely discharging it, I mean that the heli stops working (I don't know if something will remain inside, I don't know much about this).
    So far I have had no problems discharging the 4s 1300mah lipo and charging.
    Well, in one day, when I charged it several times, it took longer each time (it seems to me that one took more than two hours) but it still lasts more or less the same.
    Well, that, to see if there is something that is better than the other.
    All the best!
    I edit and add: Sorry for the inconvenience, I had not noticed that there was a fixed topic about lipos in which it was stated that deep discharges are not convenient, hehe ^^U

Never fully discharge a Lipo. In fact, discharge to only 25-30 % for the best battery life, but you could go as low as 20%. Anything below that and your killing the battery. It will have higher and higher internal resistance which causes it to take longer to charge and also loses peak discharge rating for usage. A simple battery checker can show you where the cells are. The should read 3.7 to3.8 volts at the end of your session of using them.
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Flying a model till the motor stops is not fully discharging a LiPo. It depends on where the LVC (low voltage cutoff) is set in the ESC. Typically, the default LVC is around 3.5V/cell, but flying a model to that point on a regular basis is not a good thing - bad practice. If and when you do that, try to bring it back to storage charge ASAP and do it slowly (at 1/2 "C" or less). Note that usually, once it hits the LVC and you disconnect it fairly soon and let the battery sit for a few minutes, it will come back a bit, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 volts/cell. That still doesn't mean you haven't damaged it. It also depends on the quality and brand name of the battery. Good, known brands has a better chance of coming back after a sever drain. Sometimes, you can bring one back "from the dead" if you set your charger for something like NiCad and charge it at very, very low amps till it comes back to storage volts but it may never be the same again. I kill those ones completely or keep a couple for bench testing purposes only.

Comment

Working...
      X