X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr RC Sound question

I bought the V4 system. All works well except for the shutdown. When I lower the throttle, the system continues to run. What am I missing???
    Thanks, T

You need to calibrate the esc, to the throttle stick.
    AMA 424553

Comment

Originally posted by Mav View Post
      I bought the V4 system. All works well except for the shutdown. When I lower the throttle, the system continues to run. What am I missing???
      Thanks, T
      RRHandy is right, first calibrate the ESC. However, even then it may not always start or stop when you want. I've got 11 of his boards, 7 Aspire and 4 V4. They all are somewhat inconsistent unless you figure out how to "trick" the system (I'll tell you how) or buy the add on smart start Andrew (Mr RC Sound) recently made because of this exact issue, but that's another $40.

I set mine up so my throttle cut switch ends up turning on and off the sound system. First, determine at what throttle trim setting the prop just starts to turn. Plug flight pack in with throttle trim at 0. Reduce trim on throttle to maybe -50 (every ESC is different so you'll have to play with this to get it to work right). Set the throttle cut level at about -110%, or just a couple clicks above the -50 trim point- go to servo travel to see how much that is. Now wirh the trim at -50 and throttle cut NOT engaged, plug in board. The board now believes this is your 0 point. Now engage throttle cut and sound should NOT come on. If it does, adjust trims or throttle cut level till it doesn't.

With throttle cut still engaged, increase throttle trim to that level that you found the prop to start turning. Now release throttle cut, prop starts and sound starts. Sound stays on no matter where you have throttle and does not shut down inadvertently, one of this systems big issues. Sound does shut down when you engage throttle cut after completion of flight.

Very Important!!! After flying, you must return throttle trim to 0 before next flight or ESC will not initialize since you do not have it at 0.

Always plug battery in first, trim at 0. Reduce trim, then plug in sound board. Engage throttle cut, increase trim to prop start point, then take cut off and fly. And always return throttle trim to 0 when finished.

All my aircraft have different trims this works at, required some trial and error and worked it out a couple years ago with Andrew and one of his technicians, but now he's made a part for that.

let me know what you have this in and I might have the settings that work. You can always PM me and I'll help if I can. It's a real pain when it doesn't work when you want it, but outstanding when it does.

This is the V4 in my 1600mm Spitfire.

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Sorry, that was the Corsair with Aspire.

Here's the Spitfire:

Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
        Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

Will the smart start add on fix the issue with Spektrum smart esc’s?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Youmans View Post
            Will the smart start add on fix the issue with Spektrum smart esc’s?
            Not sure about that, I've never used it. Of the 10 sound systems I have, all are set up as I did in post #3. It works perfect for me, engine start up and prop just barely turning when I release the throttle cut switch, never shuts down while taxiing or in flight even if I drop throtlle to 0, and then back at the pits the prop and engine shut down occurs when I hit the throttle cut. Just put a Model Sound system eith speakers in a FW 190 from Extreme Flight. They have a complicated throttle calibration system but for me, the sound didn't start or stop when I wanted, so despite warnings from the head of Model sounds, did the same type of setup and it works perfect.

I'm just not sure that smart start will come on as prop just starts to turn, maybe before or too late after and who knows about the shut down. If you get it, let me know how it works out.
            Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

I have used the Smart Start with my Spektrum tx and it did cure the "sync " problem, worked very well.

Comment

Hi all have the aspire in my carbon z t28
                startup, idle and shutdown sound really great.
                I have a DX20 and AR9350 rx with aux 3 mixed with throttle .. no y cable.

I can’t seem to get the flight sounds (throttle range ) to sound .
                anyone know what I might be missing?

Comment

Just to be clear also I have got start up sync’d reasonably well with the throttle trim.

Comment

And in the monitor screen you see Aux3 advancing properly as you apply throttle?

Comment

Need help with SmartStart. I put the v4 MrRcSound in my eFlite FW190 with the Smart Receiver and ESC. No matter what I do, I cannot sync the shut down to the motor. Start up works fine. I replaced the 6ch Smart receiver with an 8ch Smart receiver to try mixing channels. I even purchased the smartstart and tried y-harness and channel mixing. Do I need to replace the ESC? I've never had any any issue like this with my other sound cards.Any help appreciated. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Phatbob View Post
                        Need help with SmartStart. I put the v4 MrRcSound in my eFlite FW190 with the Smart Receiver and ESC. No matter what I do, I cannot sync the shut down to the motor. Start up works fine. I replaced the 6ch Smart receiver with an 8ch Smart receiver to try mixing channels. I even purchased the smartstart and tried y-harness and channel mixing. Do I need to replace the ESC? I've never had any any issue like this with my other sound cards.Any help appreciated. Thank you
                        I've got 9 of the Mr RC sound cards in aircraft, 5 with the Aspire cards and 4 of the V4 cards but have never used the "Smart Start" accessory. Instead, I learned years ago to somewhat "trick" the system to work the way I want it. While each ESC and motor is somewhat different, my method is still consistent. What I do is first calibrate the ESC (if it hasn't already been done). Then I determine what value of throttle trim just gets the prop turning, usually somewhere between +20 and +50 depending on the ESC. Then I follow these steps:
                        1) Plug in the battery with the throttle trim at 0, but do not plug in the sound system.
                        2) Reduce throttle trim to something like -50 (each ESC will be different so you will have to play around with this to see where it works best) which in terms of servo travel is like -114.
                        3) Now plug in the sound system, which now thinks the starting point of 0 throttle is actually at -50 trim or -114 servo travel.
                        4) Engage the throttle cut switch with the value set at something close to what -40 trim gives you which is something like -110 travel-go to servo travel to compare (that's slightly higher than the -50 trim and the real value of the throttle cut you program is actually something like -110 since the trim numbers are fractions of % )
                        5) Now increase the throttle trim to whatever value you determined just starts the prop, let's say +40 for example. Nothing happens yet since you have the throttle cut on and the sound system stays off as you have actually not increased the throttle.
                        6) Now take the throttle cut off, prop just starts turning and the sound system comes on, yet your throttle stick is all the way down. The system will not go through shut down until you're done flying, even if you drop the throttle to 0, until you engage the throttle cut.

If you don't like the idea of the prop not stopping, you can still drop the trim down 1 to 2 clicks and the prop stops, but the sound system doesn't until you engage the throttle cut. With this method, in effect your throttle cut switch determines sound start up and shut down and as you increase the throttle during take-off and in flight, the sound adjusts accordingly, however, it will never shut down if you drop the stick to 0 on the ground or in the air until you engage the throttle cut.

Just remember to return the throttle trim to 0 after you unplug the battery so it will be ready to set up for your next flight. If you forget and leave the throttle trim up, the ESC will not initialize correctly as it knows the throttle is too high to initialize.

You'll have to play around with the bottom value where you plug the card in along with the throttle cut value to get it to work properly. I've generally found that the range of trim is around 80 (with each click being 2) from bottom to top.

As an example in my FW 1600mm Spitfire with a V4 card: Plug in the sound system at trim of -54 (which on servo travel for throttle is actually -115). Throttle cut is -110 (which is same as servo travel of -110). Prop starts at +34 trim (which is servo travel of -90, where -100 is off, +100 is full throttle).

I worked this method out years ago and shared it with Andrew and his tech advisors at the time. The whole idea of the smart start was to get it to synch properly but I really don't see how it can and if you drop the throttle to 0 at any time, the system will go into shut down mode. This can happen while taxing and even in flight if you chop the throttle. With my method, it only starts when I want it to, along with the prop just barely spinning, and will not shut down until I want it to.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I've even used this method with the Model Sound systems speaker system, which they told me would not work like this, but I got it to work on my Extreme Flight FW 190 Red Tulip balsa model as I figured out a way to trick the board as well so my throttle cut switch determines the start up and shut down of the system.
                        Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman

Comment

I have my sound signal on a separate channel mixed to the throttle. In the mix I have that a switch adds about 20% to the sound signal. With the mix off I add throttle which starts the sound. Then I flip the mix switch and even if I go to zero throttle the sound still runs. After I taxi in I keep a little throttle on flip the mix switch down and then when I go to zero throttle the sounds die.

Comment

I still have no throttle range on my aspire and yes the aux3 does move in sync with throttle.
                            what would I try next?

Comment

Any one still able to help me I am tired of just idle all flight.
                              it is too bad Andrew is not available any more to help guide us.

As a side note I have the mrrcsound smoke system and it works great on a blue day!

Comment

If you power the system and connect a servo tester instead of connecting it to your receiver what does it do? Assuming you have one.

Comment

Good question , I will try next week and report.

Comment

So I tried the board in the plane with servo tester, I can get the full range.
                                    if there are setting adjustments that can be offered I am all ears.
                                    is ther3 any need of my radio settings, mixed to aux 3 and when picked, it mirrors the throttle. Is it some kind Twix I need?

Comment

Sounds all radio settings… sorry but without it being in my hands I’m no help.

Comment

Originally posted by 554dug View Post
                                        So I tried the board in the plane with servo tester, I can get the full range.
                                        if there are setting adjustments that can be offered I am all ears.
                                        is ther3 any need of my radio settings, mixed to aux 3 and when picked, it mirrors the throttle. Is it some kind Twix I need?
                                        Plug a servo into AUX3 and see if it moves when you move the throttle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X