• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with R617RS futaba rx

• To: Swrmore
      Today, 08:52 AM
      R617fs set up for flaps
      Recently bought a night timber. Not even using my brain I bought a bind and fly instead of a PNP so that was a waste of 100 bucks right there. The problem I’m having is I had to switch out the spectrum receiver for the Futaba R617FS. I am having problems with the throttle it seems to spool up like a helicopter and I do have throttle in number three can anybody guide me through this set up ? It just doesn’t seem to jive right no matter what I try . The reason of the thing I did remove this receiver from my blade 400 3-D helicopter but I don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t work. Thank you to everyone who responds and helps me out with this happy flying to you all .Steve

It sounds like your ESC programming, not your rx. Or it may be some programming in your tx. Start with a fresh model in your tx or reset program to default and start over.
    Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

It’s definitely something in speed control I think , I had great hobbies run through all scenarios of set up and it’s definitely not something I’m doing or something I’m not doing but I will take your advice and set up another new model in my TX and give it one more go
      thanks for your advice Ron greatly appreciated

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to set up the flaps in a R617fs ?
        I have a wing that has a left aileron a right aileron left flap a right flap.
        when I activate my switch I will have one aileron and two flaps moving in the same direction and one aileron moving in the opposite direction. can someone please help me with this pulling my hair out?
        right now I have my ailerons which is a wire harness going into port one and I have my flaps going into port 7/8 and 6 is empty.

Comment

Plug in the two ailerons to channel one on rx, and plug in the two flaps to channel 6.
          Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

Thanks Ron , I’ll try that 🤞🙏
            I appreciate your help.

Comment

Tried swapping as you suggested, it reversed itself but still going three and one .
              im pretty sure this avian esc trying to function with a futaba tx and rx is the issue.
              I think I’m gonna try to find the manual on the ESC and see if there’s anything I can do through that. I doubt it though.🤞

Comment

The Esc has nothing to do with your programming in radio. The ESC only provides power to your rx and motor. Channel one in rx is aileron and channel 6 is flaps. You hook up the two servos to ailerons using a Y harness to channel one, and the two servos for flaps using a Y harness to channel 6. After that it is up to your tx to deliver the correct control. It still sounds like your tx is not set up right. Make sure you start with a fresh program in airplane mode, not heli.
                Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

I am definitely in airplane mode , I’ll go through it all again and hope I’m successful.
                  thank you for your advice Ron , I appreciate reply’s.

Comment

So I went in and did a data reset in the linkage menu
                    then I set the model type to 2 aileron- 1 flap
                    Y harness on ailerons into channel 1 and y harness on flaps to channel 6
                    changed flap switch to SD.
                    now I just need to figure out how I can get each individual flap to work with each individual aileron so that I can do some 3-D with this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Swrmore View Post
                      So I went in and did a data reset in the linkage menu
                      then I set the model type to 2 aileron- 1 flap
                      Y harness on ailerons into channel 1 and y harness on flaps to channel 6
                      changed flap switch to SD.
                      now I just need to figure out how I can get each individual flap to work with each individual aileron so that I can do some 3-D with this as well.
                      If you tell the system you've got "2 aileron" and then you use a Y to connect the ailerons together and plug that into a single channel, then you've only got "1 aileron". You understand that if you declare 1 flap and then Y the flaps together and plug that into a single channel is the proper way, yet you don't see the "2 aileron" and Y harness thing into a single channel isn't right.

If I get you correctly, what you want to do is "full span ailerons", right? To do that, you need to separate each flap into their own channels, the do a mix to make them work in consort with the ailerons. Put it on a switch so you can deactivate full span alierons at will.
                      (Granted, I'm a Spektrum guy, so I may be way off base here.)

Comment

XViper thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. There must be some programming in the ESC then because when you watch the video or read the manual on this airplane it can be done it’s a bind and fly so the wiring is all pre-done to the servos and to the RX and to the motor , it’s a bind and fly , the mistake I made was not having the proper TX. So therefore I had to go with a Futaba TX and RX. The avian a smart 60 is the speed control that’s in this plane. I just spoke with Futaba and they’re saying the same thing as what you just said. Yes I want full span aileron so that I can do 3-D with this plane it’s built for it it’s programmed to do it but I can’t seem to make it work I may just have to spend a couple hundred bucks and buy myself a new radio and let this plane fly the way Its meant to be .just gonna have to be real handy around the house for a while lol

Comment

As per what Ron told you, the ESC has nothing to do with how your control surfaces work. The BEC in the ESC supplies power to your RX and the ESC makes the motor run.
                          It sounds to me that you bought an Eflite plane equipped with an Avian ESC and a Spektrum receiver that was all "pre-wired together" (BNF). Then you got a Futaba receiver and yanked out the stock receiver and plugged everything into the Futaba. You just changed all the rules of the game. You will need a Spektrum transmitter to use the stock Spektrum RX. Mixing Spektrum equipment with Futaba equipment is an exercise in futility. You CANNOT talk to an Avian ESC with Futaba equipment. It's all jibberish to the other.

PS. The Night Timber BNF comes with a 637T (a 6-channel receiver). You CANNOT do full span ailerons with a 6 channel receiver. Also, the 637T in your Timber may be locked anyway and may only be workable the way it was programmed from the factory. To just fly the plane as it came, you're going to need to buy a Spektrum computer transmitter.
                          To make it work with Futaba, your going to have to replace the Avian ESC and the stock Spektrum receiver. To me, it's not worth doing that. You are better off selling the Timber and get a similar but NON-Eflite plane in a PNP and using the Futaba stuff you already have.

PPS. You speak of Great Hobbies. I conclude that you are in Canada. Great Hobbies is mainly like any other hobby shop in Canada. Their primary products are through Horizon Hobby and those are mainly Spektrum derived products. However, they do sell FMS products and FMS does sell a plane similar to the Night Timber. You may be better off getting one of those in a PNP. They have 3 such planes in that category. Then you can use your Futaba stuff unimpeded. That said, the Night Timber is by far, the better product of all those.

Comment

Pretty sure that’s what I was saying in my previous reply. Thank you Xviper for putting so much effort into this , it’s kind of where I thought I was headed . I flew yesterday had some great flights , but again I cannot fly this plane the way it is designed to do with the radio I’ve got. so I’m probably going to go and buy a new TX and enjoy hobby zone airplanes and try a few different ones(FMS).I’m very impressed with these new foamies amazing little units .
                            ron thank you again for your help.

Comment

If you're going the route of a new Spektrum transmitter, think about future expansion in this hobby for you. Don't limit yourself to a 6 channel TX. Perhaps consider something with 8 or 10 channels, depending on your budget. An NX8 oir NX10 is not that much more expensive than some of the more rudimentary transmitters.

Comment

Working...
                              X