Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data port on the A3S3 Hobby Eagle gyro

Hi everyone,

Just joined Hobby Squawk today. I'm going to install the A3S3 into my Eflite Pulse 25e airplane. I'm using the Spektrum SPMAR620 in this airplane. You need to take the wing off this airplane to install the gyro. There is only one spot the gyro will fit into. Once I install it into this spot, I won't be able to access the data port. Is it ok to leave the cord plugged into the data port and use the gyro that way? If I leave the cord plugged in, then I can make changes if needed.

Thanks for your help.

I have one of these on one of my planes (I use the simpler HobbyEagles in my other planes) and I leave the cable and LED module plugged in all the time. When needed, I just plug in the program cable to change settings. It's seems to operate fine that way.

Comment

Awesome, thanks very much.

Comment

I finally got around to installing this gyro. Everything is plugged in correctly. I used the program card for the gyro. All the control surfaces are correcting in the proper direction except for the left aileron. I tried reversing it in the program card, it still doesn't work. I have the ailersons plugged into separate channels, could that be the problem? Should I try using the computer to program the gyro? Thanks.

Comment

Without seeing everything on your TX, RX, program card, etc, I can only list off a few things to check.
          1. Wing type is selected in the gyro. Your TX must say "normal wing/tail". In you case, the gyro should be told you have 2 AIL, 1 ELE.

2. Pay attention to Polarity. Note that for the AIL "outs", you use OUT1 and OUT4. Also note that for the RX to A3S3 connections for A and A2, on the gyro side, you have a 3 pin connector and on the RX side, you have 3 connectors with a single wire to each. See diagram in manual and note that on the gyro side, the 3 pin plug has the yellow wire on top. See where each yellow wire goes? At the RX end, that yellow pin also goes on top (ie, disregard the color of that wire). It is a SIGNAL wire. So A goes from gyro to RX AIL port. A2 goes to RX AIL2 port (which you must "activate" on the TX. Since it's likely plugged into channel 6, which is normally flap and defaults to switch D, you must tell it in "channel assign" that it is NOT flap. AUX1 must become a second aileron function. Otherwise, your AIL stick on the transmitter is only sending out a signal on the single aileron channel. I'll bet your switch D is controlling the other aileron. As you likely have it set up, the TX, RX and/or gyro doesn't know you have 2 separated ailerons, so it can't communicate with the second aileron. Your A3S3 may be trying to control the second aileron but there is no signal coming from the TX to the second aileron via the aileron stick.

3. The programming card should be all you need. Not necessary to do it on a PC.

Unless you have a specific reason for splitting your ailerons, the simplest way to do it is to use a Y and connect them together and just go with "1AIL". The Pulse is a simple airplane for general fun flying. It's not a dedicated 3D plane where you might want to separate your ailerons for finer trimming and control.

(Where do you fly? I fly at AMAS and Foothills.)

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
            Without seeing everything on your TX, RX, program card, etc, I can only list off a few things to check.
            1. Wing type is selected in the gyro. Your TX must say "normal wing/tail". In you case, the gyro should be told you have 2 AIL, 1 ELE.

2. Pay attention to Polarity. Note that for the AIL "outs", you use OUT1 and OUT4. Also note that for the RX to A3S3 connections for A and A2, on the gyro side, you have a 3 pin connector and on the RX side, you have 3 connectors with a single wire to each. See diagram in manual and note that on the gyro side, the 3 pin plug has the yellow wire on top. See where each yellow wire goes? At the RX end, that yellow pin also goes on top (ie, disregard the color of that wire). It is a SIGNAL wire. So A goes from gyro to RX AIL port. A2 goes to RX AIL2 port (which you must "activate" on the TX. Since it's likely plugged into channel 6, which is normally flap and defaults to switch D, you must tell it in "channel assign" that it is NOT flap. AUX1 must become a second aileron function. Otherwise, your AIL stick on the transmitter is only sending out a signal on the single aileron channel. I'll bet your switch D is controlling the other aileron. As you likely have it set up, the TX, RX and/or gyro doesn't know you have 2 separated ailerons, so it can't communicate with the second aileron. Your A3S3 may be trying to control the second aileron but there is no signal coming from the TX to the second aileron via the aileron stick.

3. The programming card should be all you need. Not necessary to do it on a PC.

Unless you have a specific reason for splitting your ailerons, the simplest way to do it is to use a Y and connect them together and just go with "1AIL". The Pulse is a simple airplane for general fun flying. It's not a dedicated 3D plane where you might want to separate your ailerons for finer trimming and control.

(Where do you fly? I fly at AMAS and Foothills.)
            Thanks xviper for all of this information. I'll double check all of my connections. Perhaps, if I still have problems, we could get together and figure this out.
            I fly at AMAS, but I do have my name of the wait list at Stampede. I'm interested in learning IMAC. Stampede has lots of IMAC pilots.

Comment

Then we may know each other. I'll PM you.

Comment

Working...
              X