Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NX8 has run its course.

NX8 Tx has run its course.

I have an NX8 that has been great for years. Not disappointed in it and has never had a flaw. However, my planes keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger..... and I need more channels. For a while, I had planned to upgrade to an NX10 or a ix12 channel Tx but they are no longer being made (the 12 channel Tx from Spektrum). I cannot justify the cost for 2 channels by getting the NX10. It seems the receivers are following suite. I cannot find a Spektrum 12 channel Rx.

Bottomline is... I want a new Tx that won't become obsolete and discontinued over the next year or 2. The Rxs have to follow suite. Keeping with the Spektrum protocols, what does anyone recommend I do? I have found some Rx that are Spektrum compatible (LemonRx and OrangeRx I believe they are called available at Altitude Hobbies) but I need a Tx that can support 12 or more channels that's still available to buy along with Rx for it.

I have found some used ix12 but I can't find new 12 channel Rxs from Spektrum. I would like to hear your take on what you would do.
    Any solutions are welcome!!​

Spektrum will be releasing the all new iX14 in the next month or so. Much improved from the iX12.

I'm in the same situation, so when the iX14 arrives, I'm on it.

Here is a link to the RCG thread on it. In the first couple of posts, there are links to the FCC filing with specs and pics.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Spektrum-iX14

Comment

General rule is buy as much TX as you can afford. To me 12ch is a minimum as I have quite a few that are 11 and 12 even though I don't use or need channels for gyros. Don't forget there is a good market of used radios and there are multi protocol radios and other brands that work with DSMX, that's if you really want to stay with DSMX. Here in the US, not sure where you are, HH provided exceptional support of Spektrum equipment even long discontinued systems.

I agree with the general statement of a lack of high channel count receivers. I use Orange more than anything and they used to have 8, 9, 10 and 12ch receivers. Though you may still find a listing they are seldom available from HK. I collect them and, I think, have half a dozen 12ch's in a drawer for when needed and a few 10 and 9 and a bunch of 7. I use the Redcon satellites with them as the OrX satellites are even harder to find. I still have a lot of DSM2 stuff in aircraft. I do have a lot of aircraft in my hanger ready to fly, just charge. I think around 105...

I am pessimistic about where our hobby is going with FAA oversight, remote ID etc. and am worried about new systems and updates to present systems having nanny or tattle tells built into them. I am very happy with my old DX-18.​

Comment

I just went from a 5 year old DX9 to an NX10 lately. The 9 would have been fine for me indefinitely but the past year, a couple of the trim tabs were starting to work intermittently. That, in itself, wasn't a real big deal but it was a bit annoying and I worried that something else was going to go on it. For me, electronics like this (like my cellphones) have an average useful, trouble free lifespan of 4 to 5 years. They either start "glitching" or I'm ready for something new anyway.
        I didn't foresee needing more that 10 channels (9 was plenty - only one plane uses all 9 channels and even it doesn't really need it). Although my planes are getting bigger and bigger, this doesn't translate (for me) into needing more channels. The other obstacles of getting more and more channels is that the receivers start getting undesirably expensive. So far, Lemon 10-ch RXs are still quite affordable and more than that, one has to go to other brands that are not as likely to be "affordable". If an interesting plane comes along where I need more than 10 channels, I'll pass it by. So for the foreseeable future, 10-ch is plenty good, if not excessive.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
          Spektrum will be releasing the all new iX14 in the next month or so. Much improved from the iX12.

I'm in the same situation, so when the iX14 arrives, I'm on it.

Here is a link to the RCG thread on it. In the first couple of posts, there are links to the FCC filing with specs and pics.
          https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Spektrum-iX14
          @Twowingj I was not aware they were working on a new Tx. This gives me time to either save or sell my NX8. I do like to follow the rule of buying as many channels as possible that you can afford and the ix20 is a bit out of range right now. lol. The NX8 still works great, and all my planes can still fly with 8 channels, I just have to share a channel with SAFE. I never thought I would need those channels. They are for bells and whistles but that is what making scale planes great. The little details. So, you have the normal 4 channels for Throt, Ail, Rud, and Ele. Then 5 is Gear, 6 is Flaps, 7 is Thrust Reverse and 8 is my Afterburner. So, no room for SAFE to be assigned a separate channel. I share SAFE with Full Flaps. So at full deployment, SAFE turns on. So far, that is only on my 90mm Viper from E-Flite. The rest that doesn't have flaps, I assign SAFE to a channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Doutrnz View Post
            NX8 Tx has run its course[/B]
            I have an NX8 that has been great for years.!​
            Your definition of "for years" is not the same as mine. AFAIK the NX8 only became available in late October 2020 and early deliveries were slow on account of the pandemic. Other than reviewers hardly anyone got one before December 2020.

I've had my DX9 since 2013 and still use it on some models. I would consider that as "for years". (I use an iX20 on the more complex ones).

Anyhow, according to the FCC regulatory website there is an NX20 in the works which would require no learning curve from the NX8 and which has a few new features as well as the extra channels. And surely the long awaited iX14 will be released soon.

Comment

I wonder if he might be referring to the DX8. I've gone through 2 of those. Kallend is right. The NX series hasn't been around all that long.
              Personally, I went from the DX8s to a DX9 to my current NX10. Some of my buddies at the field started showing up with their NX8 only late last season. The IX14 sounds interesting although I doubt I'll ever need that many channels and features. Perhaps when I'm flying from my wheelchair, I'll get one.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                I wonder if he might be referring to the DX8. I've gone through 2 of those. Kallend is right. The NX series hasn't been around all that long.
                Personally, I went from the DX8s to a DX9 to my current NX10. Some of my buddies at the field started showing up with their NX8 only late last season. The IX14 sounds interesting although I doubt I'll ever need that many channels and features. Perhaps when I'm flying from my wheelchair, I'll get one.
                I mostly use my iX20 now, not that I need so many channels (12 is the most I've ever used), but I love the suite of features for planes like the Eurofighter with elevons, canards and vectored thrust on all axes.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post

Your definition of "for years" is not the same as mine. AFAIK the NX8 only became available in late October 2020 and early deliveries were slow on account of the pandemic. Other than reviewers hardly anyone got one before December 2020.

I've had my DX9 since 2013 and still use it on some models. I would consider that as "for years". (I use an iX20 on the more complex ones).

Anyhow, according to the FCC regulatory website there is an NX20 in the works which would require no learning curve from the NX8 and which has a few new features as well as the extra channels. And surely the long awaited iX14 will be released soon.
                  Fine, years to me is different to you. But, I am referring to the NX series, not the DX, as xviper mentioned. I had the DX6 for a week and realized 6 was not enough. So I returned it to Horizon and used the credit for the NX8. I thought 8 channels was plenty!! Nope. As I started to discover new things you can do to make your model more scale, like afterburners, custom designed lighting on a switch, thrust reverse, electric brakes, etc. I find I would need a minimum of 10 channels to feel relatively comfortable. The 14 coming out, sounds like what I could use....for a while. It depends on the cost. I'm sure the ix20 will still cost a mortgage payment. But, if you can afford it, go for it!

Comment

As much as extra channels many times the radios will have more available mixes, additional built in settings, more memory, rear sliders or triple position switches.

Comment

Fine, years to me is different to you. But, I am referring to the NX series, not the DX, as xviper mentioned. I had the DX6 for a week and realized 6 was not enough. So I returned it to Horizon and used the credit for the NX8. I thought 8 channels was plenty!! Nope. As I started to discover new things you can do to make your model more scale, like afterburners, custom designed lighting on a switch, thrust reverse, electric brakes, etc. I find I would need a minimum of 10 channels to feel relatively comfortable. The 14 coming out, sounds like what I could use....for a while. It depends on the cost. I'm sure the ix20 will still cost a mortgage payment. But, if you can afford it, go for it!
                      Years are years.

I mentioned the forthcoming NX20, not iX. We already know the price of an iX20, and I already have one.

Details, details!

Comment

One other feature that the iX series has is text to voice. The canned call out list in the DX and NX work for most things, but the ability for custom voice call outs are a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                          One other feature that the iX series has is text to voice. The canned call out list in the DX and NX work for most things, but the ability for custom voice call outs are a plus.
                          Text to voice is the main reason I switched to the iX from my DX9. The touch screen also makes programming complicated models much easier than the whiz-wheel.

Comment

Dont no why people still buy over priced Spekjunk . My Radiomaster will out perform any Spekjunk

Comment

• Elbee
                              Elbee commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Is this your opinion or do you have documentation to back up your statement? Please start to contribute things that are relevant or stop posting until you do have something relevant to add to the discussions. Respectfully, LB

NX8 Tx has run its course.

I have an NX8 that has been great for years. Not disappointed in it and has never had a flaw. However, my planes keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger..... and I need more channels. For a while, I had planned to upgrade to an NX10 or a ix12 channel Tx but they are no longer being made (the 12 channel Tx from Spektrum). I cannot justify the cost for 2 channels by getting the NX10. It seems the receivers are following suite. I cannot find a Spektrum 12 channel Rx.

Bottomline is... I want a new Tx that won't become obsolete and discontinued over the next year or 2. The Rxs have to follow suite. Keeping with the Spektrum protocols, what does anyone recommend I do? I have found some Rx that are Spektrum compatible (LemonRx and OrangeRx I believe they are called available at Altitude Hobbies) but I need a Tx that can support 12 or more channels that's still available to buy along with Rx for it.

I have found some used ix12 but I can't find new 12 channel Rxs from Spektrum. I would like to hear your take on what you would do.
                            Any solutions are welcome!!​
                            Get yourself a Radiomaster TX16S up to 32chs , will never have to go to another transmitter again

Comment

You going to troll all the threads?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                You going to troll all the threads?
                                Don't all nutcases? I think until he has his IP examined and banned, it's another for the ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  Don't all nutcases? I think until he has his IP examined and banned, it's another for the ignore list.
                                  Yeah, I just checked his account. Nothing but trolling. Ignore list....activated.

Comment

Radiomaster is better

Comment

Yeah, I just checked his account. Nothing but trolling. Ignore list....activated.
                                      Talk about trolling , Oct 22 , wait who are you , or are you me with another account .

Comment

Working...
                                      X