X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have 3 72hz radios, can I use them?

I haven't flown in about 20 years but I have a super sportster 60, a super skybolt and a TF GE Corsair 60 . I have SuperTigre engines in them and Futaba and Tower receivers. My question is, Do I have to get new transmitters and receivers to fly, or can I use the old system with flags or pins on the antenna?

In the US there are 50 channels in the 72MHz range that can be used for radio controlled aircraft.
    • 72.010 MHz - Ch 11
    • 72.030 MHz - Ch 12
    • 72.050 MHz - Ch 13
    • 72.070 MHz - Ch 14
    • 72.090 MHz - Ch 15
    • 72.110 MHz - Ch 16
    • 72.130 MHz - Ch 17
    • 72.150 MHz - Ch 18
    • 72.170 MHz - Ch 19
    • 72.190 MHz - Ch 20
    • 72.210 MHz - Ch 21
    • 72.230 MHz - Ch 22
    • 72.250 MHz - Ch 23
    • 72.270 MHz - Ch 24
    • 72.290 MHz - Ch 25
    • 72.310 MHz - Ch 26
    • 72.330 MHz - Ch 27
    • 72.350 MHz - Ch 28
    • 72.370 MHz - Ch 29
    • 72.390 MHz - Ch 30
    • 72.410 MHz - Ch 31
    • 72.430 MHz - Ch 32
    • 72.450 MHz - Ch 33
    • 72.470 MHz - Ch 34
    • 72.490 MHz - Ch 35
    • 72.510 MHz - Ch 36
    • 72.530 MHz - Ch 37
    • 72.550 MHz - Ch 38
    • 72.570 MHz - Ch 39
    • 72.590 MHz - Ch 40
    • 72.610 MHz - Ch 41
    • 72.630 MHz - Ch 42
    • 72.650 MHz - Ch 43
    • 72.670 MHz - Ch 44
    • 72.690 MHz - Ch 45
    • 72.710 MHz - Ch 46
    • 72.730 MHz - Ch 47
    • 72.750 MHz - Ch 48
    • 72.770 MHz - Ch 49
    • 72.790 MHz - Ch 50
    • 72.810 MHz - Ch 51
    • 72.830 MHz - Ch 52
    • 72.850 MHz - Ch 53
    • 72.870 MHz - Ch 54
    • 72.890 MHz - Ch 55
    • 72.910 MHz - Ch 56
    • 72.930 MHz - Ch 57
    • 72.950 MHz - Ch 58
    • 72.970 MHz - Ch 59
    • 72.990 MHz - Ch 60
    2.4GHz

This frequency eliminates problems of radio interference and it's being used in more and more RC vehicles. Special software within the receiver and transmitter work to set the specific frequency channel within the very wide 2.4GHz range, locking out interference from other systems operating within the 2.4GHz range in your operating area. There is no need to change out crystals or select specific channels yourself. The transmitter/receiver will do it for you.
    ​Now if you want to be compatible with your fellow flyers, then yes, upgrading to a new radio and receivers would be the easiest (read expensive) solution.
    There are advantages to an upgrade, you have much more control on the aircraft flight dynamics, allowing mixing of control surface servos, adding in timers for elements like flaps or gear doors and gear. And the Radios are now programable with a large library for all your planes. One Radio many planes, depending on the number of channels you need.

Ps: and some of the new receivers do have flight stabilization and a programable Safe mode to stop flyaways or loss of control.
    Hope that helps some,
    9erRed

Comment

Use them.

Comment

You can use them and they would probably work well. However, all the batteries in tx nd rx would nee to be change out. By the time you o that, you could buy a decent 2.4 radio and move forward from there. with newer updated stuff. I still fly an older Kraft single stick time for time to time, but mostly use my trusty Futaba 10 J in everything.
        Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

Thanks, guys. I realize I would need good batteries. My question now is, What would be a good transmitter without breaking the bank? I see radiolink, graupner, frsky...

Comment

Personally, I would stick with either Futaba or Spektrum, both have fairly inexpensive units available.
            Ron - AMA 1025

Comment

Mike, the key to the answer to your dilemma lies in what is your eventual goal wrt the hobby. I faced this issue twice when having to put aside RC due to job demands. First time, digital systems came in and I boxed up all my Proline systems and support equipment and gave it away, and bought the JR Galaxy-- awesome radio. Did it again when 2.4 Ghz Spread Specturm came in during my last 14 year forced hiatus. I gave my 3 JR Systems to my best friend that I'd taught to fly, as they were perfect for him, and bought Spektrum. In those two cases, I knew I was not going to put down or put aside my RC hobby permanently.
              Can you use them? You bet and you won't have to stand around for a frequency pin, either. New batteries and you should be good. Range check 'em before flying and you will know if the transmitter and receivers still communicate nicely with each other. If it fails the range check, then send off to be returned.
              If you plan on staying with it this time, go buy yourself a modern spread spectrum system, whether it's Futaba, Spektrum, JR, or whatever.
              Hope that helps clarify your dilemma or gives you something to chew on.
              Best to you.
              (BTW, listen to everyone, keeping in mind that everyone has opinions, the same as some other parts of the human anatomy. Then, come to your own conclusion as you're the one spending the money. . . . .)

Comment

Valkyrie is exactly right. You will get a lot of opinion and justification for their choice. You may hear a number of people saying get relatively expensive high end radios from long time manufacturers (wishy washy way of saying Futaba, Jeti, Spektrum), these are usually radios of better quality, have customer and warranty support and a decent menu in them. You'll also have a large goup for what is called open source, It's the system on some radios that has you program everything, even a dual rate or reversing is a separate program. These radios are usually lower quality, very lower price and come with no or very minimal cutsomer or warranty support. Support is typically a social media thing. In between are some radios that started out open source but are trying to move into mainstream by developing and offering a more usable operating system. The Radiomaster TX16S with Ethos is an example. They also offer some real customer support and warranty. This particular radio also has a 4 in 1 protocol module that talks to different brands of receivers.

There is a lot to learn with newer radios, especially open source, it's very different to use.

In general it's a good idea to buy a system that others at your field use so you can get help. I also suggest getting a brand that you have confidence will be around in 5 or 10 years. Also buy a radio that has in it what you expect to do, number of channels, helicopter, sailplane, FPV or quad programing and also is there support and warranty (many people consider their electronics disposable nowadays).

For me, I have a lot of aircraft so cheap good receivers was also important. There are a lot of confusing choices. The transmitter and receiver have to be on the same protocol to talk to each other. For some radio makes that means you buy the receivers that are the same brand but for some there are multiple brands that make receivers using the same protocol as a transmitter. For example Specktrums main protocol is DSMX and while Spektrum makes receivers there are much cheaper DSMX receivers made by Lemon, Orange Redcon, iRadio and more. Again there's a lot to learn..

Last, radios come out all the time so there is a great used market out there. Remebering that there is warranty and service support for some and not others this is a possible way to go. For example Spektrum recently released a few new radios, the newest the NX20, the iX14 and the others in the NX line not too long ago. Because of this there are some really good deals on used radios. Add that in the US Horizon will service and repair (usually for free) even old discontinued radios and there is a very high level of value in used radios. For example, I just bought a used iX12 for $300 shipped off RCG from someone I know and trust.

Good luck.

Comment

You can use your old system with flags or pins on the antenna1. However, it is important to note that the 72 MHz band is no longer legal for use in the United States.

Comment

Originally posted by andree23 View Post
                    You can use your old system with flags or pins on the antenna1. However, it is important to note that the 72 MHz band is no longer legal for use in the United States.
                    source?
                    I do know at the home field of the AMA they restrict you to 2.4ghz on some of their sites. but not all. so I don't think you're correct. in fact, you are WRONG.

Written by Tony Stillman In the Air Column As seen in the September 2014 issue of Model Aviation. If you are fairly new to the RC modeling scene, you might not have any idea what a 72 MHz RC system is. More experienced modelers will know exactly what they are and have probably owned several. The 72 MHz digital proportional RC systems have been around since the 1960s.

Comment

Originally posted by andree23 View Post
                      ok so, this information is not correct. 72mhz is still legal and isn't going away. https://www.modelaviation.com/is-72-mhz-dead

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie View Post
                        Mike, the key to the answer to your dilemma lies in what is your eventual goal wrt the hobby. I faced this issue twice when having to put aside RC due to job demands. First time, digital systems came in and I boxed up all my Proline systems and support equipment and gave it away, and bought the JR Galaxy-- awesome radio. Did it again when 2.4 Ghz Spread Specturm came in during my last 14 year forced hiatus. I gave my 3 JR Systems to my best friend that I'd taught to fly, as they were perfect for him, and bought Spektrum. In those two cases, I knew I was not going to put down or put aside my RC hobby permanently.
                        Can you use them? You bet and you won't have to stand around for a frequency pin, either. New batteries and you should be good. Range check 'em before flying and you will know if the transmitter and receivers still communicate nicely with each other. If it fails the range check, then send off to be returned.
                        If you plan on staying with it this time, go buy yourself a modern spread spectrum system, whether it's Futaba, Spektrum, JR, or whatever.
                        Hope that helps clarify your dilemma or gives you something to chew on.
                        Best to you.
                        (BTW, listen to everyone, keeping in mind that everyone has opinions, the same as some other parts of the human anatomy. Then, come to your own conclusion as you're the one spending the money. . . . .) Apktome
                        Thank you for sharing your experience and providing some valuable insights, especially regarding the decision to upgrade or continue using existing RC equipment. It's important to consider your long-term goals and intentions with the hobby. Your approach of adapting your situation and making choices based on your temporary breaks from RC in the past is practical. Giving away or transitioning to newer systems during those periods allowed you to adapt to the advancements in technology and maintain your passion for the hobby. In your friend's case, handing over your JR system is a thoughtful gesture that allows someone else to benefit from the device while matching your ultimate decision to return to your RC. You've provided useful advice about testing the range and communication between transmitters and receivers before making a final decision. If the range check fails, it might be best to have the equipment professionally evaluated or consider replacement options. If you are looking for racing game applications, immediately visit Apktome to meet the entertainment needs of gamers who love speed and thrills on the track. You can find a wide range of exciting racing games such as street racing, simulation racing, sports racing and even space racing. These games are designed with high quality graphics, vivid sound effects and provide a realistic experience like participating in spectacular races.

Comment

Working...
                        X