Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning by myself help please

Hi gentlemen.
    it has been a long time getting back into the air for . I have gone full tilt on equipment so I can forge ahead and increase my channeluseage as I get into the more complex aircraft. I have an NX8 and was gifted an iX14 transmitter.
    All the new computerized functions can be a bit overwhelming as is the 365 pg manual.
    A very basic question though. For my smaller 4 channel planes , is it safe to say creating a basic 4 channel in my list with aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle, is an automatic function so switching from one plane to the next , I can use the same template.
    The other functions I am learning about such as dual rates and expo seem fairly straight forward .
    If I use a receiver with some sort of safe , as3x etc can i assign a 3 position switch for off on, and beginner on a 4 channel receiver or do I need to go with a larger channel count receiver?
    I would like to use my iX14 as much as possible just to become oriented with it.
    Thanks for your help and input .
    Cheers
    Bob

That's what I do. I have about 110 models in my radio and they are in groups with a template for each group that has what a basic set up would be for that type craft, airplane, jet, speed plane, helo, glider, quad, float plane and indoor plane. Obviously some are very similar.

Comment

Thanks Evan for your confirmation.
      I find every little bit helps
      Cheers
      Bob

Comment

Switching from one plane to another you have to be VERY careful that their controls all move in the correct direction if you just copy the template.

Also AS3X/SAFE cannot just automatically transfer from one plane to another, since the gyro stabilizer and accelerometers have to be 100% consistent with the control movements between the two planes. You don't say what equipment you are using (seems like Spektrum) but there the AR636 family of receivers does not work the same as the AR630/631/637 family.

It is admirable to try to go it alone, but you will make much better progress if you can find an experienced modeler to help you.

Comment

Thanks Kallend all valid points.
          I am using Spektrum electronics from the TX to the RX. NX8 and iX14 tx and AR630 and 8020T , 8360T.
          I also have some 4 series sports receivers too.
          Learning the programming is one small issue to overcome but I am making headway. As for an experienced modeler to help, it is like finding hens teeth for me even at club level. I absorb everything I can on the forums and from respected you tubers.
          At 70 yrs old I have to push on and try to catch up with the new technologies in use. The hobby gives me great joy and relaxation, and my occasional hard landings are limited. My goal over time is to be able to confidently set up and fly a variety of aircraft and get my 2 grandsons involved. Such a wonderful way to spend quality time rather than on a game system.
          Although I do have the Realflight 9.5 lol
          Thank you
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieBob View Post
            At 70 yrs old I have to push on and try to catch up with the new technologies in use
            Bob
            So you're just a kid, then.

I'm 77 and still creating technologies (at least, trying to).

Comment

Yes lol. My 2nd childhood.
              Cheers
              Bob

Comment

NewbieBob You have some great advice in the responses so far, but if you need help with your radio system or other things just ask. You won't always get an immediate answer but usually youll get one.
                If you're using YouTube, the Spektrum videos are worth the while, but do note thst some of them are outdated and some methods of programming have changed with the newer equipment.
                Practice makes better, the flight simulator is boring but very valuable. I fly it in the winter or if it's been a little while or if i just get the urge to practice maneuvers or just landing practice with a variety of planes. Even planes I'll never own but I feel it's good to learn the different characteristics and necessary responses of each plane. Or lose orientation and then recover, it's not fully realistic, the simulator, but it must help train different regions of the brain for real flying. Even if it's that, learning to accept loss region. Good luck and ask if you have questions. Take the answers with a grain of salt though. Cheers!

Comment

Thank you very much SanExup. I appreciate that.
                  I spend extra time on my Realflight. The flying characteristics between planes can be quite different.
                  My Cub trainer can be more difficult at times than my Habu sts trainer . But overall I find it helps with stick usage and overall orientation. Eitherway it is fun.
                  I have my takeoffs and landings down and touch and go is good. Still a bit heavy on the stick movements though. Both on the simulator and in the air. I have set my expo to 25% to allow for my overcontrol and run everything at 75% rates
                  Except throttle. Initial plane setup I am improving at.
                  I center all surface servos before hooking up my control rods so I am trying to achieve positioning requiring the least trim. I have built a CG machine using a 2x6 base and upright drum sticks to check and correct cg.
                  Because I am by myself I tend to use as3x and safe but struggle to set them up on my 3way switch.
                  and find the tx settings. But I am getting there one step at a time. So far only the EZ trainer needs major repairs. But that I suspect is part of the learning process. Lol. Fortunately I have a good supply of adhesives.
                  Cheers
                  Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X