X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3-L

I took my Mosquito out today and had installed a Hobby Eagle A3-L a while back and when I powered up the plane it was operating fine but it quit working and had a red LED glowing, I could operate the flight surfaces but the servos would not center themselves. I didn't chance flying it due to this problem I went ahead and removed the A3-L when I got home and the planes servos operated normally. I tried resetting it to factory default settings but it did not reset. Has anyone else have any problems with these A3-L controllers?

Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post
    I took my Mosquito out today and had installed a Hobby Eagle A3-L a while back and when I powered up the plane it was operating fine but it quit working and had a red LED glowing, I could operate the flight surfaces but the servos would not center themselves. I didn't chance flying it due to this problem I went ahead and removed the A3-L when I got home and the planes servos operated normally. I tried resetting it to factory default settings but it did not reset. Has anyone else have any problems with these A3-L controllers?
    I have the A3-L's in four planes and haven't had any problems with them. Did yours ever work properly in this plane? The red light normally indicates that the gyro is in "3D mode" and the behavior you're describing would be normal for this mode. In 3D mode, if the plane is sitting on the ground and you, for example, move your right aileron stick the right aileron will move up (and the left down) and they will hold that position even if you release the stick because they are waiting for the plane to roll to the right. Did you connect the "mode" channel of the gyro to channel 5 on your receiver as they recommend and assign a 3 way switch to that channel? If so, does the switch work to change modes? If you connected the mode channel but didn't assign a switch perhaps your radio assigns a switch to channel 5 by default (like a gear switch) and it's just in the wrong position.

Have you successfully used an A3-L before or is this your first installation? It's always possible that the gyro is defective but we'll probably need a little more information.

Bill

Comment

I did have it attached to the flap switch on my radio I have a Futaba T6J and only has a 2 position switch for the gyro for on or off. This was a first installation on my plane and I did print out the instructions on set up and installation. When I installed it and performed the programming it worked great. It has been about 6 months since the install and this would have been the first flight on this plane. I don't think with it sitting idle for the 6 months would have any effect on the gyro since it is only powered with the flight battery.

Comment

When you initially set it up was the flap switch allowing you to use the "normal" mode (blue light) or turn the gyro off (no light)? It still seems like something related to your switch settings might be causing the gyro to go into 3D mode. Are you giving the gyro enough time to fully initialize on power up without moving the plane...could take up to 5 seconds after you hear the standard ESC startup beeps (you'll hear/see a brief control surface twitch)?

Bill

Comment

I was getting a blue light but cant remember if it had no light with the gyro off. I wait to let the gyro initialize before I touch the plane. I have another new gyro I might install to see if there is anything wrong with one I had in the plane.

Comment

Look forward to hearing your results with the new gyro.

Bill

Comment

The A3-L can be put on a 3 position switch. On mine, I use the flap switch. In one position, it's "normal" stabilization, in the middle position, it's "off", in the 3rd position, it's in "3D" mode. 3D mode, on the bench will not center the control surfaces. If you only have a 2 position switch, then you need to dial in reverse signal (opposite mV on my DX8) and you'll get the "normal" setting. The middle position on mine is zero mV.
              Eg, if you can "monitor" the signal on your TX, take note of what it says when the switch is in "3D" mode, then go to the servo travel menu for that switch and dial in the complete opposite. On mine, from one end to the other, it's -100 to +100. You'll still have to adjust the gain for "normal" stabilization.
              Of all the HobbyEagle stabilizers, the L is probably to most simple.

Comment

Mad Baron,

Xviper2 seems to be on the same page as I am ...... you need to look into your switch settings. He and I are both using 3 position switches and mine works the same way as his. It happens to be a top switch and when it's in the back position the gyro is in normal (blue) mode. When in the center position the gyro is off (no light). When forward it's in 3D mode (red light). On my Futaba 14SG I have a "Servo" option that shows a graphical display of all of my radio channels. When the switch is back the channel is at -100 (normal). When the switch is centered it's at 0 (off). When it's forward the channel is at +100 (3D).

Since you're using a 2 position switch, you'll only get 2 of these modes but they aren't necessarily normal and off automatically. For example, if your switch channel is going from the extremes of -100 to +100 then you are switching from normal directly to 3D mode. It looks like you want the mode channel to go from -100 to 0 to have the switch select the normal and off gyro modes.

Be aware that on my Futaba (and probably yours) when you go into the "End Point" settings you will see two columns that have symbols at the top representing "up" and "down" switch/stick positions and both will be set to 100. So you'll likely want to leave the "up" column at 100 and set the "down" column to 0 and then test to see if the switch gives the "blue light" and "light off" gyro modes.

Let us know how it works out.

Bill

Comment

Success! I got it to work, the 2 position switch I have assigned to would turn it on or in 3D mode. I reset the trim in the transmitter settings to 0% and 100% now I can turn the gyro on or off from the transmitter. I rechecked the balance of the plane and I am glad that I didn't put it in the air as it was tail heavy.

Comment

Mad Baron,

Great news!

Keep in mind a few things to ensure a successful first flight with the gyro.

Make absolutely sure the gyro is correcting the control surfaces in the proper direction. The easiest thing for me to remember is that the control surface always leads the direction of the plane that the control surface is attached to. So, if you roll the right wing up, the right aileron should move up. Lift the tail and the elevator moves up. Move the tail to the right and the rudder goes right, etc. It's easiest to test this if you temporarily turn the gain up to 100% to exaggerate the movements. If the gyro is correcting any axis in the wrong direction then you need to reverse that direction in the gyro (and not the radio) and then retest.

If the first flight with the gyro is also the maiden of the airplane, then you also need to trim the plane first with the gyro off. Then land, unplug and repower the plane so the gyro will set it's neutral positions with the control surfaces already trimmed.

Take off with the gyro off and make sure you are flying straight and level at a safe altitude before you switch the gyro on (and be ready to turn it off just in case anything goes wrong). If you notice any control surface vibration (typically the wings will chatter back and forth) then you need to turn the gyro gain down. The chatter will more likely occur when flying at high speed. The gain adjustment is easier if you have an extra channel to set up a remote gain knob on your radio so you can make the adjustments without landing. Basically you want to increase the gain until you get chatter and then back off just a smidge (that would be a highly scientific technical term :D).

Good luck and let us know how you like using the gyro.

Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	085.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	43246 I tested the gyro according to the instruction sheet that I printed out and all of the control surfaces are moving correctly. I am really looking forward to getting this Mosquito up for its first flight. Thanks for the advice on the gyro I hope to fly it this Monday or Tuesday if the weather cooperates if not I will test out this weekend.

Comment

Plane looks great! Good luck with the maiden of the plane and gyro.

Bill

Comment

Mad Baron,

Any update on how things are going with the gyro???

Bill

Comment

I haven't turned on the gyro since the plane is really stable in flight. So far I have got 3 flights on it.

Comment

Glad to hear the plane is flying well. You can always save the gyro for a windy day!

Comment

The gyro is not just for windy days. Flying even on calm days, the gyro makes for a much more satisfying experience. Doing rolls becomes a very precise maneuver as you can let the stick go and the plane snaps to wherever you leave it. Landings can be greased more often. Mind you, for most prop planes, a gyro does make things "child's play" and I can see where some may like to turn it off from time to time to perfect one's own flying skills. However, on a plane (EDF) with vectored thrust, it makes it possible to do launches like this:

And even better if the gyro is left to do most of the work:

Since these videos, I have added AIL and ELE to the gyro output and flight is rock solid on the Mig29. Originally, I only had the rudder vector nozzles on gyro so it could be hand launched from the vertical.
                                I have this gyro on my 1500mm GeeBee and 1400mm FMS Pitts and both of these planes are very pleasing to fly and are among some of the most precise flying planes I have. I also use the Eflite AS3X gyro receivers that can be programmed and those are not nearly as precise as the HobbyEagle. A close second would be the Lemon stabilized RXs. All of my AS3X UMX planes (Radian, Revolution and P-51) are perfectly flyable in very heavy winds. I've flown the P-51 in winds of 35+ kph, with gusts up to 45 kph. Without the stabilizer, it would have been impossible to fly them in such conditions. On calm days, these little UMXs can be flown in very precise patterns. A normally "fussy" plane or for someone wanting to just be more relaxed when flying, these gyros are great tools.

Comment

Hey there people,
                                  Someone noted small servo twitches when aircraft is on the ground using the A3-L (i´m noting saying the normal one´s due gain adjustments).
                                  I´m noted some on my new plane (no matter if the gyro in ON or OFF).
                                  Thank you all
                                  Safe flights

Comment

Your video says it's UNAVAILABLE. As for the blue light, when it's in stabilized mode, the blue light should be solid. That's normal. There's no light when the stabilizer is OFF. It's strange that you have no stick response in the control surfaces (AIL, ELE, RUD). I've never seen a flashing blue light except perhaps when in a specific programming menu. I suggest you carefully read the programming sequence and see if you're missing a button push. Once a program item has been selected, it needs a button push at the correct time to exit programming mode. When it thinks it's still in programming mode, nothing works.
                                    Do you have the manual? Here it is ...........................

Comment

Working...
                                    X