X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Spektrum AS3X and SAFE receivers to a different plane

One of the most frequent questions we are asked concerns moving a SAFE receiver or AS3X receiver to a different plane. Customers ask "If I crash or destroy an E-Flite BNF plane, I want to keep the receiver which has AS3X and move it to a new plane. Can I do this?" I'm going to try to make this a short and simple as possible.

Moving a Spektrum receiver with AS3X to a different plane:
    First, check the part number on the receiver. If it is an AR636, it has standard AS3X settings which work for pretty much any plane. If the part number is AR636a, the receiver has been programmed at the factory with AS3X settings specific to the plane in which the AS3X receiver was originally installed. AR636 can go into any plane. An AR636a will need some reprogramming to get it setup for the new plane. You need one of the following programming cables to change AS3X settings:
    USB programming cable for computer: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-usb-interface
    Programming Cable for Smart Phone: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...udio-interface

SAFETY NOTE: always rebind the receiver to the radio when moving it to a new plane. I heard many horror stories of planes flying away on their own because the throttle settings and fail safe settings did not match the new plane.

AS3X is pretty easy to program. You can turn the AS3X gain up or down to taylor AS3X to your personal taste. If you find a control surface fluttering at higher speeds, you need to turn down the gain for that specific control surface. A fluttering control surface (ailerons, elevator, rudder) indicates the gain for that surface is too high and needs to be turned down. both AR636 and AR636a can be programmed to your own taste.

Moving a Spektrum receiver with SAFE to a different plane:
    Receivers with SAFE are considered locked. There are some changes that can be made BUT it will take away SAFE. While some people have tried SAFE receivers in many different planes, I advise that you only use a SAFE receiver in the plane for which it was designed. This recommendation is due to the complexity of installing SAFE in another plane. First, the AS3X settings are specific to the plane the SAFE receiver was designed for and may not work in another pane. Next, you must physically orient a SAFE receiver in a specific position for it to work properly. Any change from the factory orientation will cause problems. Finally, physical servo reversers are often necessary and I've seen many planes crash due to faulty physical servo reversing cables. I would never recommend the use of a servo reversing cable. There are much better SAFE like solutions out there which are made to go into any type of plane. Many are mentioned in this same forum.

NOTE: SAFE requires a channel on your transmitter. If you have a 5 channel plane and add SAFE, you need a 6 channel radio.
    NOTE2: The Spektrum DX6i is NOT compatible with SAFE. The DXe, DX6, DX8, DX9, DX18, and DX20 are all compatible.

What about the new receivers with SAFE Select?
    It is my understanding that receivers with SAFE Select are locked and cannot be adjusted. However, SAFE can be turned on or off during the bind process. If SAFE is off, the receiver can be used as a standard AS3X receiver, but the AS3X is locked and cannot be fine tuned.
    Last edited by Tom; Jun 29, 2016, 09:41 PM.

Very useful, thanks!

I have the Parkzone sport cub S2 (51") with the AR636. Can I program a switch on my DX6 to turn the AS3X off?

Comment

Thanks Tom that is very clear and useful information. That should answer most of the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by danloc78 View Post
        Very useful, thanks!

I have the Parkzone sport cub S2 (51") with the AR636. Can I program a switch on my DX6 to turn the AS3X off?
        You cannot. While AS3X can be programmed using a smart phone and a programming cable, AS3X can only have one setting. The way you program the AS3X on the ground is the way it is in the air. It cannot be changed in the air and it cannot have more than a single setup at any given time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post
          One of the most frequent questions we are asked concerns moving a SAFE receiver or AS3X receiver to a different plane. Customers ask "If I crash or destroy an E-Flite BNF plane, I want to keep the receiver which has AS3X and move it to a new plane. Can I do this?" I'm going to try to make this a short and simple as possible.

Moving a Spektrum receiver with AS3X to a different plane:
          First, check the part number on the receiver. If it is an AR636, it has standard AS3X settings which work for pretty much any plane. If the part number is AR636a, the receiver has been programmed at the factory with AS3X settings specific to the plane in which the AS3X receiver was originally installed. AR636 can go into any plane. An AR636a will need some reprogramming to get it setup for the new plane. You need this programming cable to change AS3X settings: https://www.motionrc.com/collections...-usb-interface

SAFETY NOTE: always rebind the receiver to the radio when moving it to a new plane. I heard many horror stories of planes flying away on their own because the throttle settings and fail safe settings did not match the new plane.

AS3X is pretty easy to program. You can turn the AS3X gain up or down to taylor AS3X to your personal taste. If you find a control surface fluttering at higher speeds, you need to turn down the gain for that specific control surface. A fluttering control surface (ailerons, elevator, rudder) indicates the gain for that surface is too high and needs to be turned down. both AR636 and AR636a can be programmed to your own taste.

Moving a Spektrum receiver with SAFE to a different plane:
          Receivers with SAFE are considered locked. There are some changes that can be made BUT it will take away SAFE. While some people have tried SAFE receivers in many different planes, I advise that you only use a SAFE receiver in the plane for which it was designed. This recommendation is due to the complexity of installing SAFE in another plane. First, the AS3X settings are specific to the plane the SAFE receiver was designed for and may not work in another pane. Next, you must physically orient a SAFE receiver in a specific position for it to work properly. Any change from the factory orientation will cause problems. Finally, physical servo reversers are often necessary and I've seen many planes crash due to faulty physical servo reversing cables. I would never recommend the use of a servo reversing cable. There are much better SAFE like solutions out there which are made to go into any type of plane. Many are mentioned in this same forum.

NOTE: SAFE requires an open channel on your transmitter to function. If you have a 5 channel plane and add SAFE, you need a 6 channel radio.
          NOTE2: The Spektrum DX6i is NOT compatible with SAFE. The DXe, DX6, DX8, DX9, DX18, and DX20 are all compatible.

What about the new receivers with SAFE Select?
          It is my understanding that receivers with SAFE Select are locked and cannot be adjusted. SAFE of course can be turned off and it can be used as a standard AS3X receiver, but the AS3X is locked and cannot be fine tuned.
          Interesting stuff Tom! Thanks!
          Lauren

Comment

Tom
            why did you say the dx6i was not for safe?
            I used it a lot with safe until I needed a 3 position switch and went to the dx7 gen 2 tx

Comment

Hi i have a safe receiver in a lot of my warbirds and i have to say without safe i would never be able to fly these babys.As i have gone into another mode and what a handful so if you like flying warbirds and you dont mind if you cant do barrel rolls or any other tricks but just flying then get a safe receiver.Of course you can go into experiance mode and do everything but then you have to keep it in the air YIKES

Comment

Ive installed a safe rx from my apprentice s 15e in my t-28 Trojan and the rudder overcompensated it seems, does anybody have the same set up and figured out how to make it work?

Comment

I have purchased the USB cable, I have an AR636A receiver that I would like to program, installed the Spektrum Programmer Beta and now am searching for documentation on how to get to get it working. Can anyone direct me to the correct horizon hobby or spektrum page where I can find some documentation?

Comment

There is a complete series of YouTube videos on how to program this RX. It starts with "Step 1" ....................
                    Visit http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/AS3X.aspx for more informationSpektrum RC products related to this and all other AS3X video's in this playlist inc...

From here, you should be able to find them in sequence. There are at least 16 of them.

Comment

Very nice write-up, Tom. It is great to have the basics well spelled out instead of pages and pages of speculation. I have installed a SAFE receiver in two different Parkzone Archers with success. I would have preferred to use the AR636, but the programming of AS3X seemed like something I wasn't sure if I wanted to get into. I use the Apprentice SAFE receiver and fly in experienced mode so I get the AS3X without needing the SAFE features. Xviper, thanks for posting the video link as that will surely be helpful in the future when I need to program one.

Comment

I've watched almost all of those videos. They are very detailed but I must admit, it's time consuming and I tend to forget many of the details. I've only ever moved such a receiver from one plane (Radian XL) to another (MAKO) and it worked very well. Did the reprogram via smartphone/patch cable. That plane flies like it's on rails. I haven't played around with any "SAFE" mode. I find that a little too daunting. There are better ways to get a self recovery/axis limiter - Some of the HobbyEagle products, the Turnigy T1000FC, Bigaole and ArkBird products.

Comment

All this talk about programming the AR636A is giving me a headache. Can I not simply bind the receiver the usual way and eliminate (cut off) ther AS3X and Safe features? I just want to set up a airplane the usual way through my Spectrum 9 transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Force5 View Post
                            All this talk about programming the AR636A is giving me a headache. Can I not simply bind the receiver the usual way and eliminate (cut off) ther AS3X and Safe features? I just want to set up a airplane the usual way through my Spectrum 9 transmitter.
                            It depends on where the receiver came from. What plane did it come out of or did you buy one brand new all by itself that wasn't meant for any plane in particular? Those ones come without any programming and is no different than a non-AS3X Spektrum Rx. However, if it came out of an existing plane (which you have not indicated if this is the case), then the AS3X and SAFE features may or may not be turned ON/OFF. If you can't turn off the AS3X or SAFE, you do not know if the stability compensation is working in the correct direction for the new plane. Flying a plane where the correction is in the opposite direction will result in a crash within seconds after takeoff, assuming you can actually get it off the ground.
                            For example, the AR636A out of an Opterra can't have the AS3X turned off via a switch. You must go in with the programming cable and smart phone APP to turn everything off. Same goes for one out of a Radian XL. The one from a Timber can be switched off. So again, where did the receiver come from?

Comment

Thanks for the information viper. The AR636A came out of a eFlite F4U - 4 Corsair

Comment

Originally posted by Force5 View Post
                                Thanks for the information viper. The AR636A came out of a eFlite F4U - 4 Corsair
                                Good thing you indicate what it came out of. Of all the AR636A Rx's you could have picked, the one out of that Corsair is THE worst one. It is very proprietary and the instructions even indicate it should NOT be used in any other plane. It was programmed specifically to operate only those servos (control surface direction, stab response direction, etc). Many of the features in that Rx can't be re-programmed and may even likely be locked in. Same goes for the one out of their little Sukhoi.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                  There is a complete series of YouTube videos on how to program this RX. It starts with "Step 1" ....................
                                  Visit http://www.spektrumrc.com/Technology/AS3X.aspx for more informationSpektrum RC products related to this and all other AS3X video's in this playlist inc...

From here, you should be able to find them in sequence. There are at least 16 of them.
                                  I can't speak about moving receivers from BnF planes, but for the regular AS3X receivers that are programmable there is a much easier way to program them. The smart phone method is simply a stupid "Hey, look what I can do" from the IT people. 16 videos, REALLY? LOL I guess if you really need to make a change at the field it's better than nothing. I bought the Spectrum programming cable for a PC. I could not find any instructions so I called HH. The tech asked if I was using a smart phone or a PC. When I answered that I was using a PC he said "Thank God". We spent about 4 to 5 minutes going over how the program worked and I was good to go. He also suggested that I do all adjustments to the servos and all mixing in the transmitter. A few point and clicks, move a few sliders, adjust a few percentages and voila, ready to go. I'll include a few screen shots of the interfaces. Note that the receiver orientation interface was not available for my Timber BnF receiverClick image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	26.0 KB ID:	98481
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Could someone explain in layman’s term what the “priority” parameter does? I know what the dual rates and exponential do and I assume the rates control the amount of opposing surface correction in windy conditions correct? Also what programming creates the “safe” feature? I have watched all the videos on YouTube but still have a lot of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Middsmx View Post
                                      Could someone explain in layman’s term what the “priority” parameter does? I know what the dual rates and exponential do and I assume the rates control the amount of opposing surface correction in windy conditions correct? Also what programming creates the “safe” feature? I have watched all the videos on YouTube but still have a lot of questions.
                                      Best bet is to call HH support.

Comment

Originally posted by Middsmx View Post
                                        As I indicated in a previous post, Horizon has a whole series of YouTube videos explaining virtually every aspect of setting up this receiver. In fact, "Step 14" explains gain and priority fairly completely. If this isn't as "layman" as you'd like, I'm not sure anyone can do any better. I found this specific video by simply doing a Google search.

Comment

Working...
                                        X