X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DX9 or DX18, that is the question.

Back in the 70's / 80's I was heavy into RC flying (it helped that my dad owned a hobby shop) and Kraft radios were the norm as well as nitro planes and flying Mode 1.

I've been out of the hobby for 35 years, I got back into it last June when I purchased a HobbyZone Corsair and a DX6 radio. Today I'm flying mode 2 (still have to think about it once in a while) I've got 13 planes with more on the wishlist.

Many of the planes have come from MotionRC, I really like the ARF's the the products they carry. I'm going to be getting the new Freewing F-104 for Christmas (yay me) and I'm going to need a radio with more channels.

I was going to get the DX9 because I could not find anything on Motions website that used more than 9 channels but I don't want to limit myself if in a few years I get into a larger plane that would benefit from larger channels. I wish I would have gotten the 9 last year.

These days I have close to zero interest in Nitro / Gas, I really like the ease of electrics and I haven't seen one yet that needs more than 9 channels.

I would like to get into turbines but that is at least 5 years away.

I'm looking for some advice or other points of view before I buy something.

Presently, I can't foresee needing more than 8 channels. I have only one plane that needs 8 but I could have gotten away with 6. I've reached a plateau in my RC hobby and don't anticipate getting into anything more complex. The new DX8 will do just fine for me as possibly my last TX and this is only because I still have 35 active planes and a dozen or so helis that I may or may not get back into. In any case, 8 channels and 250 models will do me just fine.
    My current DX8 is over 3 years old and has started to show its age. Glitches are starting and switches and buttons are starting to act up. I can't even imagine needing a 9 channel, let alone an 18. I don't know much about turbines and how many channels they require, but my feeling is that if it's more than 5 years away, I doubt any new TX you buy now will be glitch-free by then, especially if you use it constantly. Perhaps I'm not the best guy to give you advice but I see this type of electronics as something you hope will last a long time but be happy if it lasts 3 years trouble free.
    I have a friend with a DX9 and he got it only because nobody in town had a DX8 at the time and wanted to replace his broken TX "now". He has never needed more than 5 channels.

Comment

That model looks so sweet. You might need a nine if you are flying a prop plane with flaps and retracts, and wanted to utilize all four sound channels on a 4 sound card. Without compromising or disabling the function of control surfaces, or your flaps or gear that is. Kind of pricey, because you need more channel receivers, which = more $, You might also want the additional channels to monitor and record in flight telelemetry, I understand. I have no experience with telemetry yet.

Comment

I would go for the DX9. I have only needed 9 channels on one airplane so far, and it was a Freewing F-14 that I setup with full span flaps. If you are sticking to PNP airplanes, that is all you will ever need. A DX18 would be good if you were planning on doing lots of modding and extra scale features. For example you could program a full 4 engine startup sequenced on an RC B-17, have servo controlled turrets, and a bomb bay.

Comment

I fell into the same trap so to speak, because of my ignorance on things R/C.
          Bought a DX6i which is a great radio, don't get me wrong, but when I when to install a gyro, there wasn't enough channels. Ended up getting a DX8 and so far I've always had a channel to spare.
          We had the question come up a year ago or so and a couple of us were wondering what on earth you would need 18 channels for, other than bragging rights. One of the guys told us that when using multiple servos on a control surface, the extra channels would allow you to sync them together to a single control input.
          "Ahh", we all went!!
          So, I guess, if you see yourself getting into big airplanes that require that, then it would be the way to go, if not, you should ask yourself, how many bells and whistles am I likely to be wanting to put on my planes in the future.
          Personally, the only thing I could see is putting a bomb drop or something, so the DX8 works for me, I have enough problems just dealing with retracts and flaps, if I wanted a sliding canopy, I'd probably hook it up by mixing it with the flaps or something like that. With a DX9, I think most guys would be fine. Again, its where you want to go in this Hobby.

F106 is right on the money, and its wide open skies when considering where you want to go.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
          X