X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange receivers morphed to Lemon Receivers

Does anyone have any experience with Hobby King's Orange receivers?
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
    This looks like something I'd be interested in and the price is great!
    I just haven't heard a lot about them.

Grossman56
    Last edited by Grossman56; Jul 31, 2016, 08:44 AM. Reason: Changed the name to be more in line with the discussion.
    Team Gross!

Dan,
    Another option to the orange is the Lemon and I can vouch for them regarding my satisfaction.
    As always, glad to answer anything ya wanna know about them as well as suggest the best reputable source to get them in the states.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hey thanks Charlie, I was looking for an alternative to the Spectrum 7 channel as they're not in stock and I don't want to wait until they get in stock to fly the Bearcat.
      What can you tell me about them??

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

I've been using them for years although not on my bigger more expensive stuff. That said, I've never had one fail or "brown out" on me. Just put a R615x in my Eachine Falcon 250 racing quad today and it is working great.......that little quad is my first foray into FPV and that's another story for another day ;)

Steve
        AMA 95495
        Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
        Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Dan,
          The Lemons ARE rock solid electronically. I lost my skepticism last fall when I was shown the light by another tech guru I respected and was guided by that tech light when I was now doing several birds that required 8 channels or more. The Spektrum 8 & 9 channel Rx are at $120 and $140 respectively whereas the Lemon 10 chan is under $30. I now have two 10 chan and four 6 chan lemon Rx in the fleet and they have been solid and in total only cost me $100. My other 15 Spektrum Rx have cost me, well you know the cost for the 6 chans so lets just say way too much($600 :dodgy:).
          Here's the two US distributors that I get them from and they provide warranty if required.

The Hobby Monster is my primary source and where I have bought about 20 of the 6 channels for myself and other pilots in the club. The 6 chan at $12 plus the $4 plastic case for a tot of $16 versus the Spektrum AR610 at $40. The savings start piling up which I can use for plane mods.
          The 7 channels of interest to you are in the 3rd row down on the Monster site and I would guess that the middle one without a satellite Rx would be all you need for that Bearcat and it saves you $10 versus a satellite which you don't really need but were stuck getting on the Spektrum. 7 channels and a built in stabilizer to boot for $22 versus $80 for the Spektrum.
          Happy shopping,
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I've got three lemon 6 channel receivers flying, I love them. That's all I'm buying now. Wish Motion carried them.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to go that route then. Got to start watching the pennies now that the wife isn't working. Dewey was saying that there was one in the 1700 mm Mustang he just picked up, that was the first I'd heard of them. I should rename the title of this thread to Lemons?? LOL
              Of course, the primary thing is dependability and with you guys saying they're great, I take that as gospel.
              Charlie, I'll jump on the website and order one right now, thanks buddy.

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

ordered and on its way!
                Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

You won't be disappointed in the Lemons, however, I try to get only the ones that utilize the satellite antennas. I've had a couple of the ones that use the "diversity" antennas alone and the antenna attachment can be weak. I've had them just fall off and soldering back on was not effective and the range was down to less than 100 feet even after soldering back on.
                  The first generation of Orange were problematic. A few guys at one of my fields lost planes with them (a total of 3). The current iteration of the Orange have been solid and I use these in 2 of my more cherished planes without incident, as have others I know of. Nevertheless, I will only buy Lemons from now on.
                  (Side note: If anyone was wondering why any company would name a product "Lemon", it's because of the Asian culture. They do not know of the connotation that "lemon" has in N. American culture. The lemon tree is known for it's beautiful and fragrant flowers. The guy that runs one of my flying clubs was brow beating everyone who used Lemon RXs and made it a rule that none are allowed at his field. It just showed how ignorant he is. He later recanted his decision as more and more people showed up with Lemons in their machines.)
                  BTW, if you are those who MUST have Spektrum, you can buy Spektrum RXs for a fraction of the price from "BuyVD.com" (yeah, another name that the Asians never fully understood the meaning in N. Am.). They may be genuine products that are sold out the "back door" via small shops in China. Or they may be clones. Nevertheless, they have proven to be just as good as the products we buy through Horizon and their sellers.

Comment

I've had two 6 channel Lemons in the air since early spring. I was REAL skeptical about trying them because I figured I was gonna get burnt with "You get what you pay for" But so far they have been great, and I plan on getting more. Sucks that I cant support Motion since they dont carry them, but I figure the money I'm saving on receivers is going right to their pockets with new planes and parts for mods I buy from them.

Jeff

Comment

I hear you Captain, but at some point you have to get real about how much you can afford in this hobby. I figure with the Bearcat, I'll have 12 planes and we all know that its a constant that you're ordering parts and batteries etc just to maintain them. Every time you order another, you need at least a receiver and now you have another to maintain. It all adds up, so wherever you can save money, you just have to.

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

Taranis and its accompanying rxs are just as nice :)
                        AMA 1102566

Comment

There was a delay in shipping my receiver, death in the family, so what can you do, anyway, it's on it's way now. Great news!

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

I've been buying my 6 Channel Lemons from a guy on eBay, fast shipping.

Follow scratchbuilds on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!

Comment

Hey, good to know, thanks

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Hey guys, do you do anything different when installing these receivers? The reason I ask is that there is some confusion as to the stabilization.
                                From some of the videos I've watched, the gear channel becomes the on/off switch for the built in gyro and the L/G gets plugged into the bind plug, then you have to reroute the switches!
                                Can anyone clarify that? I don't see anyone using a DX8 and a DX9 is , surprise, different.
                                I'm thinking of just using it as a receiver and using and A3L if its that complicated

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

Hey Dan. You need to pm or get up with Xviper because when he answered my post lemon reciever with stabilization he states that he uses the dx8 to run his. From what he explains it doesn't look to awful bad. I'm not going to be able to use stabilization on Frankie because I fly a dx6 and a tact850.
                                  Dewey l

Comment

Thanks Dewey, I'll have to do that, I was waiting for Charlie to get his opinion as well as he has a few of them and was the one who put me on to them.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Sorry Dan, I'm not a user of gyro's. I just get their less expensive non stabilized ones so I can can't help ya on this one.
                                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

Actually, I was going to get just a receiver and use and A3L, but this is what I ended up with.
                                        I'll see what xviper says. Just seems strange that it says gear on the receiver, you'd think that it would be straight forward, Hmmmm..

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X