X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrSky S6R

For the frsky or frsky compatible transmitter users out there. There is now a new Frsky receiver with built in stabilization . The S6R.

From reading the other forums out there it is not yet ready for prime time .
    It can be programmed two ways. With your PC using a USB interface that is sold separately .

OR there is a customer lua script available that let's you program right from your Taranis or other OpenTx transmitter .

At the moment firmware updates are happening as well as updates to the lua script . Not all vendors are yet carrying the S6R. Aloft Hobby for one said they wouldn't offer the S6R until the kinks had been worked out.
    This is still exciting news. (well for me anyway). Sometimes there is not enough space in a model to fit both a receiver and gyro . Up till now is you wanted a gyro for a model and the excellent reliability of frsky's protocal, you had to factor in a gyro.

Hopefully they will get it sorted shortly.
    Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
    R. A. Heinlein

Yeah, it's definitely not ready for prime time and the firmware needs more revisions to be stable. I would recommend waiting for sure on the S6R. Once it's ready, it will be a fantastic product, just not now.

Comment

Dang, over a year since the last post on this thread.
      Now that Motion is carrying the S6R and the S8R it is time to revisit these recievers.
      To use the terms from previous posts. These are now ready for prime time.
      They have solid firmware and much improved programing utilities on the PC.
      The latest versions of OpenTX include the LUA scripts so you can program these right from your transmitter. I have these in 2 planes so far. An S6R in my Ta 152h and an S8R in a Bush Mule.
      I have them both programmed to work on a single 3 position switch. Off/Stabilize/AutoLevel
      I don't use the hover or knife edges features, at least not on these planes.
      With the price being within 2-3 dollars of the non gyro receivers these will now be my standard receivers for all my future planes. After all you can always turn the gyro off.
      Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again.
      R. A. Heinlein

Comment

I am also switching over from Spektrum to FrSky and am using the S6R in my planes. While it takes some study to program them, the programming can be done with just your transmitter (I am using an X10s). Although I still class myself as an advanced beginner, I much prefer this receiver over ones with ASX3 because:
        1. It has a selectable self level mode. Somewhat similar to the SAFE "beginner mode", it will return the airplane to level flight if the sticks are released, but unlike "beginner mode" it does not restrict any stick inputs.
        2. It does have an emergency recovery mode which will return the aircraft to level flight.
        2. The gain of the gyro can be adjusted in flight to compensate for varying wind conditions.
        3. The gyro can be turned completely off if desired.
        4. The receiver provides limited telemetry data with no additional sensors. It displays received signal strength and receiver battery voltage (although this will normally always be 5 volts if you power the receiver through a BEC). I have added a Lipo sensor to read battery voltage and the voltage of each cell. It was not very expensive.
        5. The planes just seem to fly well.

This does not mean that it will suit everyone, but I really like it. I don't know about other FrSky transmitters, but the X10 with OpenTx has configuration scripts that are run for all receiver programming and calibration which makes the tasks really simple.

Comment

I bought 3 of these 2 years ago and struggled... Now there is new firmware I have dusted them off and am in the middle of trying to use an S6R. I have been running the lua config and setups from an X9D+ - I don't get a blue light when I do the 3 in 3 secs thing. If I use the button on the Rx I get a brief blue light, the surface wiggle then - nothing just regular Rx stuff. I do notice yellow LED flashes which I assume is the gyro? If anyone has any suggestions!

Comment

Working...
          X