X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPV flying

I recently started dabbling in FPV flight and I really like it. We've got a couple of the Dynam Hawk Sky planes that we use to train new pilots so I added a camera to one and have been having a ball with it, other than looking like an idiot standing out in the field with a brick strapped to my forehead :)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclops.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	51342
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

I've discovered that some people really take to it while others don't. I'm one of those who just can seem to find its appeal. I've been flying FPV off and on for a couple of years now. I've got the whole "nine yards" in equipment and first had it in a flying wing. I could never get accustomed to seeing everything so tiny and in such a wide angle field of view. I even have the OSD for my Fatshark. Even with all the information about altitude, airspeed, heading and relative location based on where I was, I still couldn't get the feel for where exactly the plane was. Even when coming back, I couldn't easily recognize that I was in the frame. My second plane was with the SkyMule. This plane was equipped with stability, heading/altitude hold and Return Home and is an extremely stable and "slowish" platform. Even then, I couldn't tell where the plane was. If not for my spotter, I would have flown the plane very far away. On screen, I never got the impression that the plane was that far away because even when close, it looked like it was far away. I never had the inclination to use "RTH". After that, I gave up and will be selling my equipment to someone at the field who has indicated he'd like to give it a try. I also find it somewhat nauseating when flying via goggles. I never risked taking off or landing by goggles, always visually.

Comment

That's strange to hear, I was landing with no issue on the first try, it actually seems easier.
      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

I just can't judge distance and altitude from that little image.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
          I just can't judge distance and altitude from that little image.
          With goggles?

TiredIron Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
            With goggles?
            Yes, I use FatShark goggles and I get very dizzy flying like that. I might do better with an HD tablet screen but I just don't want to spend anymore money on it.

Comment

I always have to sit in a chair if flying FPV. Standing I get dizzy pretty quick. But then I don't fly them like most people do.

Comment

Cool video...

I built another Hawk Sky FPV setup.

Russian arctic spy plane ;)

Name:	20161204_000935898_iOS.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	53256

Name:	20161204_000943241_iOS.jpg
Views:	227