You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time equipment recommendations , here ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time equipment recommendations , here ?

Help with equipment recommendations for 1st timer here ?

Buy more radio than you think you need! Buy a plane you won't cry about when you crash. I say buy more radio than you need as you will get hooked and have it for years. Buy a trainer as you will crash early in your training program. Beyond that we will need to know more about your expectation

Comment

That's a great recommendation, Aspirin. I agree that the radio and charger are mainstay investments in this hobby --buy more than you think you need, and it will last you for years. Airplanes may come and go, but the radio and charging equipment can stay with you for a long, long time.

Mr. B, welcome to Hobbysquawk! Check out our Beginner Blog, which contains several articles geared specifically toward new pilots. Our hope is to equip you with the information you need to get started in this hobby safely and with the least amount of extraneous expenditures! This hobby can be fun with airplanes at a wide range of price points, but the equipment you control any of those airplanes with is vital. There's a lot of reading in these links but believe me, it's worth the read. An ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure!

Here is the overall Beginner Guide section:

https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...eginner-guides

And here is an article specific to your question, entitled "Basic Equipment Investments for the Beginning RC Pilot"

https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motio...nning-rc-pilot

If you have any questions, feel free to post here and the community will be happy to answer. We were all in your shoes once!

Welcome to the hobby. Clear your garage :)
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

You can also go to this link and find many helpful articles that will guide you along. https://www.motionrc.com/blogs/motion-rc-blog
        A great way to get started is with an RTF (Ready To Fly) seen here at this link as this is probably the easiest and most selected starting point for many. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...6-wingspan-rtf Give us a call if you need further assistance. 1-224-633-9090

Comment

Hello all, sorry for confusion, I'm a experienced rc pilot, I'd call Myself intermediate. I'm useing DX6 and have progressed up through several fixed wing and one CTD grim reaper wing. first plane was a apprentice that'll I still have and want to use as test bed plane. I want to try fpv for first time. Start with temporary, nondestructive mount on apprentice to see if I want to continue, then get a opterra and continue to expand. My questions; 1 a simple, matched components system(not real good at soldering and little understanding/knowledg of the system.). 2 while cost is of concern I'd rather pay more now for a better system that I can expanded on instead of having to replace componets letter. I think I want the 58 type system (I'm in flat AZ desert), goggles, eventually a gimble but ok to start with ? I intend to stay close LOS but if disoriented safe will go flat and level but if I lose it I'd like a return home feature ? Are all the cameras color ? Eventually osd, of interest is, altitude, air speed, batt.cond, campus heading, air temp,. This is where I'd like to end up but what do I want to start this journey ? I've herd of fat shark system, banggood components, HK has a system ? Sorry long story, any help is appreciated. MR.B

Comment

Wayne, you skydive ? Blue Skies my brother !

Comment

Ah! Now I understand your question more accurately.

1. A "simple, matched components system" as you put it would be my recommendation if you're just starting out and want to spend more time flying and less time tinkering, especially if you're not good at soldering and the background behind the various related components in an FPV system.

2. Our original advice applies here. Try to buy what you know will last you a long time and "pay for itself". I too am a budget-minded hobbyist in certain aspects. But sometimes, especially in an application where your wallet will be floating high above an Arizona desert, I think most pilots would agree that they're open to paying a little extra for the extra confidence in a proven system than something that was cobbled together. As I'm fond of saying, "Quality only hurts once."

It sounds like you've done enough research to realize that the FPV side of the hobby is a wide and ever changing world. If you already know you'll eventually want to add OSD and other sensors, then consider a system which is modular and expandable to adapt to those future needs. Start with the base system (your Opterra mount to start off is a great idea), see if you even like FPV flying (some people don't or can't), then make the plunge.

Your questions are the catalysts for entire threads, forums, markets, companies; as such it's impossible to answer each one succinctly. There are adherents of all sides. The adage "Your Mileage May Vary" especially applies. I'll try to summarize here:

Fat Shark is a name brand in the FPV world. Good products, good support, but a premium price.

Banggood components are generally much cheaper and can be good, but there is wider range of customer experience in the support, quality, and dependability categories. Some people say they've never had any problems with Banggood or Gearbest or similar Asian multistributors, while some people would rather eat dirt than deal with these sites.

HK has a couple systems, actually. Some of the guys here use the Quanum setup. I've used them and they're not bad for the money.

My biggest concern with anything FPV is safety. Flying a regular model airplane LOS is standard issue. It's your eyes, pointed at the plane. But with FPV, where you're depending on technology to fly an aircraft from onboard itself, any lapse in the efficacy of that technology might endanger people, property, and (if we want to get preachy) potentially the entire RC hobby in general. I know you said you'll be in the Arizona desert and flying LOS, but even if there wasn't anyone around it's still your money and time flying up there, and the fact remains that if your FPV equipment cuts out on you on a fixed wing aircraft, it will take a couple seconds to get out of your goggles and visually reacquire your aircraft and guide it back to safety. Those couple of seconds could mean a world of difference. All of this to say, buy what you feel you can trust the most consistently. Anything less is risk not worth taking.

Comment

Thank you alpha, let me clear up a couple points, I'm gonna start on my apprentice to find out if i want to continue so if panic situation release sticks,plane goes flat and level while I get off goggles and acquire aircraft(so would opterra safe system?)
                so you like HK, do they offer a basic,starter kit that I can build on or do I have to order individual compoets ? How do I know which components i want and are compatible together and can add onto ?
                Also, what type antenna's do I want (rubber duckie or the clover leaf looking ones ?) Thank you. ☺

Comment

Hey Mr. B, I'm partial to Circular Polarized antennas, mostly because that's what I can make myself the easiest. If anyone has done any research in FPV I'm sure they'd have stumbled on the name IBCrazy. He is a pioneer in FPV equipment and his CP antennas, called "Blue Beam", have been around for years.

Getfpv.com and readymaderc.com are both Stateside vendors that specialize in FPV equipment. They both offer starter sets. Quick link:

The best quality First Person View equipment. Free or discounted shipping on all orders.Drone Racing, RC Airplanes, FPV Cameras, FPV Goggles, Video Transmitters, RC Quads, Drone Antennas, Lipo Batteries, and Ground Station Equipment.All available for amateurs, schools, hobbyists, government, and wholesale buyers.

Search Hobbyking for their "Quanum" FPV gear, and you'll see the kits they have.

Search YouTube for independent reviews of all these different setups from these and other sources.

Comment

I've watched a couple of ibcrazy videos and that's what's has me focused mainly on the "kiss" starting point.
                    I just watched the ready made rc video, makes it easier to understand. Will watch a couplymore times, make a shopping list and go from there. I like how he talks about expanding system with osd and return home features. Thank you for point me in fight direction.

Comment

I will list out the parts I use and I normally get 2000+ ft with my video. Keep in mind where I fly is a nice clean area with little to no radio interference issues around. So here's what I personally use and I'm 100% happy with.
                      http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-tran...er-p-2197.html
                      https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=4428
                      https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=5971
                      And if you want telemetry in video (osd) there are two options I've used that I like.
                      http://hobbywireless.com/eagle-tree-...60-p-1123.html
                      http://hobbywireless.com/cyclops-osd...et-p-1152.html
                      Hope that helps.
                      edit: btw the easiest osd to wire up is the vector. It's almost a true non event to wire up and use. Make sure you set your failsafe so the return to home will be active if something goes wrong with your transmitter. Same with the Cyclops system. Otherwise stay close and don't venture out too far. Most of my planes have standard osd units that do not have a flight controller integrated. If you want something like that it will require some splicing and soldering, but will save money. I recommend the skylark tiny osd for that. Again I hope it helps

Comment

Informative post, rifleman_btx. Do you have any pictures of your setup or videos of it in action?

Comment

Thank you all, I have determined i have some research to do, , ,

Comment

Rifleman , what camera and do I need a receiver for goggles ?

Comment

Sorry, would I build a mounting box for that tx or how do u mount ?

Comment

Ah I actually glue them to the fuselage or canopy. And sorry about forgetting the camera. The Rx comes with the goggles. they cover race band as well so they will grow with you. This is the one I use most
                                https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fatshark...-and-tilt.html
                                oh here is another antenna I recommend for budget or as I would call high risk flight builds sold here at motion.
                                https://www.motionrc.com/collections...z-fpvan1010blk
                                I use it on my mako and get every bit the distance I get from the blue beam antenna. For $10

Comment

Here is my setups with with my planes, mine are all setup to be able to be removed so I can fly los, or fpv without much fuss

Comment

Here's one from the pby

Comment

Here's one from my skyhunter, this plans has a 200mw tx vs the 600 that the pby has.

Comment

And this is from the mako, (flying wing) these flights were recorded from a secondary receiver dvr system. Not from the goggles

Comment

Working...
                                        X