X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobius Mounting

How do you guys mount your mobius to the aircraft? I was thinking velcro or magnets.

And how about performance or handling issues with a mobius on the 80mm Scorpion?

I just ordered a mobius from Motion RC with the intent of finally getting some descent video to post.
    Any help appreciated.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Seaviper I use a couple of rubber bands wrapped around my . I add some foam underneath it to take up any vibrations .

Bryan
    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I have done it many ways. Avoid magnets though. SD cards and other data storage devices don't like magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by seaviper View Post
        How do you guys mount your mobius to the aircraft? I was thinking velcro or magnets.

And how about performance or handling issues with a mobius on the 80mm Scorpion?

I just ordered a mobius from Motion RC with the intent of finally getting some descent video to post.
        Any help appreciated.
        Seaviper. I don't have any experience with mounting my Mobius on the 80mm Scorpion. But have done so on several of my planes(P-51, P-38, DHC-Beaver, Pandora). I've used velcro for mounting except when I have positioned the camera on the plastic canopy. When I've mounted on the canopy, I use small bubble wrap as a cushion on the base of the camera, and then tape over the camera with tough and clear two sided Gorilla mounting tape. I don't use it as a two sided tape, but it has great adhesive characteristics, soft and flexible, AND pulls off of the canopy not leaving any residue. Now i have not tried the Gorilla tape on a painted area, I'm sure it would pull the paint off for sure.
        I use velcro on my P-51 and Pandora's wings(see pictures), and just leave the velcro on the plane. When mounting on the wing of these planes, and very close to the fuselage, i don't even know the camera is there as far as handling. BUT, when you start to move the camera location farther away from the CG. You will notice it for sure.

Now with the 80mm Scorpion, I'm thinking the mounting on the canopy would be real easy. But make sure and check your CG with the camera mounted, and if possible, move your battery pack back to aquire the desired CG.

Hope this helps some.

Lon
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

To get the best picture you've got to reduce the vibration as much as possible. This will involve experimenting with mounting material and the location of the camera. I've found near the CG with velcro to work pretty well. Of course I get paranoid the camera is going to fly off, so I usually end up using a rubberband or other securement device for insurance. Some sort of foam or soft rubber between the camera and the aircraft will also help reduce the vibration. If you mount on a wing the pictures are really cool, but prepare for heavy vibration unless your airframe is very stiff. I've also done some rear facing cameras which produce some interesting visuals. Experiment and have fun - you'll be amazed at the picture quality of the Mobius camera.

Comment

Yeah man I got a roll of that Gorilla tape in my box all the time. Good stuff. That's how i mount my X8R antennas as nothing and I mean nothing sticks to that rubber coating.

Thanks for the help guys!

Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post
            I have done it many ways. Avoid magnets though. SD cards and other data storage devices don't like magnets.
            You think I can get my money back for those EE credits at MSU? I should have known that...lol

Comment

I have a couple of planes (Skymule, Opterra) that I've mounted HD velcro just for the Mobius. These are my "search and rescue" platforms for going out and finding lost planes. I also occasionally mount the Mobius on my Mystique RES sailplane with clear hockey tape.
              The velcro method is easy but I limit this to only specific planes. The tape method can be used on any plane BUT anything that is poorly painted, the tape will lift off when removing the camera. This is not a problem with the Mystique as it's plastic wrapped skin. Other planes, I'll use the tape only on surfaces that are bare.
              The Mobius is such a small frontal area that it doesn't affect any of my planes in flight. I use a standard angle lens on it, since the wide angle lens makes everything look very small.

Comment

I made a permanent velcro mount underneath the Scorpion and the F-5. And it's not the Hd kind either. works great.

Comment

Slightly related ...................... I have one of these coming:

It's even more narrow a field of view, making for a bit of "zoom". It's got a 90 degree field instead of the normal 120 degree on the standard lens Mobius.

Comment

xviper you got any sample videos from that thing?

Comment

Not yet. It's still in the mail from China ...................... should be another 2 - 3 weeks. Some guy in the other forum put me onto this camera. He's quite taken by it. Here's a YouTube video showing a comparison of 3 cams. On the 1080 setting, the FireFly shows a definite "zoom" effect.
                      Firefly Q6 4K slimline action FPV camera camcorder is among the highly anticipated 2016 entry mimicking the Keychain camera form factor. HAWK-EYE Aerial Vide...

YouTube has other vids with reviews.

Comment

Since some of you are on the subject of the Mobius "Have any of you tried the new version of the Mobius?
                        Still Learning:D

Comment

The Mobius should have come with a mount that can be secured with velcro

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            Since some of you are on the subject of the Mobius "Have any of you tried the new version of the Mobius?
                            Curious what's new. Gotta link?

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                              Curious what's new. Gotta link?
                              Go to the Mobius web site and see the difference in the 2 of them. The new one is pretty awesome.
                              Still Learning:D

Comment

I use Gorilla Tape exclusively. The stuff is magical. Adheres to anything. True, it's not easy on foam but I don't mind painting so I have matching touch up paint on stand by for most of my models.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

yeah man i got a roll of gorilla tape in my tool box all the time. It's great for strapping down antennas and receivers in tight spaces

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.JPG
Views:	661
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	64680Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4980.JPG
Views:	686
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	64681 On my P-47, I used a standoff block and Velcro, which works very well. I use a Firefly Q6, which is very similar in shape and function
                                    to the Mobius. The camera also sits on a Velcro mount, which allows the camera to 'float' a little, in relation to the fuselage. So, it gives a bit of an illusion of the pilot looking around .
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

That looks great

Comment

Hey guys,

DirtyDee designed a 3D printed part that attaches to the Mobius camera mount, so that it can be mounted on a standard Freewing weapons pylon.
                                        That was posted in the A10 thread here - post# 8430

I have been working on a 3D-printed box that holds the camera, and can be mounted on a weapons pylon. This was designed by my friend Bob (he lives in Belgium, and is not on the Squawk). We've been playing with it and making different versions. We made the original simple box to mount under a Freewing wing pylon.

Then we made a new design that was aerodynamic (and a lot cooler).

Then we made a version that could be mounted on TOP of something, And, a pylon so that the camera could be raised up from the mounting surface. I used this on my Radian glider.
                                        Any of you guys with 3D printers can print these if you wish.
                                        The mounts are the standard "hooks" that fit into the "slots" that are on the weapon pylons - but you can also use

APMECH1's design and print the slots, which can be mounted anywhere on the airplane so that this camera can just be mounted anywhere you want.

I have uploaded the STL files. Here is a Thingiverse link if you want to download: https://www.thingiverse.com/Foaminatthemouth/designs

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180520_174715cr.jpg Views:	3 Size:	153.3 KB ID:	138254Click image for larger version  Name:	Camera Pod-cr.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	138255
                                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X