Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyros and stabilizers for the beginner

What's up H Squawk Family.
    I was wondering if the gyros and flight stabilizers help a new pilot to get off the ground and help not destroy the plane? I was given a Fms 1100mm 182 skytrainer rtf. I had it in the air (feel proud) :) but I crashed on landing no damage the nose wheel is bent slightly. I found the plane not newbie friendly will adding a gyro and stabilizer and a different tx receiver will help.? My Sons friend flew the plane set the trimms and landed gave me the radio took off real nice made two nice turns in the park had problem setting up the landing approach. Will adding these items make it a reasonable trainer? Is there a nose wheel mod kit for the 1100mm sky trainer 182.
    there is one for the 1400mm sky trainer.

I classify these sorts of devices in the family of "flight controllers". There are ones that use some form of gyro tech and some use GPS tech. These things help to stabilize the plane to some degree or other. The most basic (and cheapest) help keep the plane from getting tossed around by the wind so the pilot can concentrate more on actually flying the plane without worrying about one more aspect of control. Then there are devices that will limit the amount the aircraft will roll or pitch or yaw. Most of these limit it to 45 degrees and most of these will also "self level" when you take your hands off the stick.
    Some devices have SAFE (registered trademark of Spektrum) and these are usually built into the receiver. Some GPS type devices will not only limit the control response but will also self level and with the flip of a switch, will right the plane and bring it home all on its own. Once you get it closer to you and you think you want to fly it again, flip the switch to the stabilized and limited control to fly it or switch it off altogether and fly it completely on your own.
    For planes that can be tricky to fly or land, having a stabilized/limited response device is of great help. Then you graduate up to just stabilized control (help in wind). Then you dispense with it completely and fly it by your own skill.
    The HobbyEagle brand is one of the low priced devices that come in various levels of "help". These can be had starting about $20.00. Self recovery ones are a little more. If you buy an Eflite plane, look at the ones with SAFE. They even have planes that can save itself, come back and land itself. Then look at devices like the Bigaole flight controller. It can be turned off, allow stabilized/limited response and Return to Home. All of these sorts of things need to be set up properly and calibrated.

Comment

Thanks XViper. I'm working on getting the mini apprentice. Hope to have it by spring.

Comment

Note that, if not connected to the throttle (most are not), a flight stabilizer will tend to mask an approaching stall if the throttle is too low, until you often cannot recover. So, in the hands of a beginner, a stabilizer can create a bigger problem, as many (including me) try to land at a lower speed than the model will allow. Best to get an actual trainer - larger wing on a lighter aircraft, which allows a much lower speed on landing.

Comment

Working...
        X