Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Futaba & Spektrum

Hi Gang !
    I've been noticing how the spectrum DX 6i is almost like the new standard and up.
    Also in the very recent years(even in the last few months) rc has been taking off and with new improvement on planes , how the popularity has increase with more detailed planes, such as extreme scale warbirds , 6 -8 secs landing gear, navigation lights ,etc...
    Whats been the latest radio preference that's been parallel to these incredible warbirds that are being released now (P-51DV8 for example ) or Me 262 ??? What do most of you prefer ,( I know that is personal) but the new Spektrum DX9 is insane !!! or the Futaba 8J, ??? even the Spektrum DX8 does well to whats being released !

what's the up to date favorite radio, control panel ,or cockpit !?!? Lay it down ! I'm eager to read the opinions !!!

Thanks

Re: Futaba & Spektrum

Airtronics the best for me. Spektrum crashed to many of my planes

Comment

I have switch to all Tactic radios and receivers. Tactic radios, like the 650, are good radios with more memory than a comparable Spektrum radio and Tactic brands cost less. I also have the Tactic 600 which is also a good radio that I use most even though it is not programmable but has dual rates and 6 channels. I have no plane that requires more than 6 channels and I do not need to program any of them with expos and memory. But maybe in the future when I get more complicated planes I might use expos on the Tactic 650.

Comment

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Futaba 8FG, which actually supports 14 channels. I use Corona knock-off FASST receivers mail-ordered from overseas from 4-ch micro all the way up 14-ch, and the 14-ch RXs are less than $40 each.

I used to think 8ch was more than enough, but simple things like wanting a trimmable nosewheel, spoileron and aileron differential, and speedbrakes on some EDFs rapidly drove my channel needs upward.

It's not cheap but the 8 FG (of for a little more, the 14SG) is a heck of a radio and ought to be future proof.

I have been through a lot of planes and only once have I had a failure that might be due to the Corona RX, and in fairness I had cracked the case open and re-soldered an antenna wire before that happened.

Comment

Also, if you ever want to use the MrRCSound module to full potential to add controllable guns/cannons/etc. to a plane you'll need extra channels to control those. Another benefit of having more channels available. Again, definitely not cheap, but one good radio can support a whole fleet of planes from parkflyer to ultra-complex.

Comment

My personal favorite is Spektrum. I have the new DX9, the DX8, and a DX6i that I started with. I also have a Tactic 650 and really like it as well. Receivers for the Tactic tend to be less expensive, and I also really like the Flyzone TX-R set ups since they bind perfectly with my 650.

I have not tried any of the other brands, they may be great too, but for my money and trust, I prefer Spektrum and Tactic.

Comment

I have had both but in recent years moved completely to Spektrum. Currently, I have the DX18, 8 and the Tactic 650. As for comparing Futaba and Spektrum, its like GM vs Ford or any other highly competitive major brands, it always comes down to personal preferences and forming one's own opinion.

I buy Spektrum orangerx receivers and never had an issue (All my FMS planes are on Orangerx) plus much less than the OEM Spektrum rx's. You won't go wrong going either Futaba or Spektrum.

Michael

Comment

RE: Futaba & Spektrum

I have the Dx9 and it is AWESOME! I know it's pricey, but you don't outgrow it. Will be your radio forever. Started with the Dx6i but had so many planes I needed to upgrade. Now with 250 models available I should be all set. I too used, and I use the term USED, the Orange hobbyking receivers, but after a fatal brownout crash I do not use them anymore. I know the Spektrum receivers are a lot more money, but my $300 plane is worth it!
                  The voice capabilities of the Dx9 are amazing too, makes flying a bit more less stressful. You don't have to worry if that last beep meant you had two or one minute left, it TELLS you. 
                Addicted to planes!

Comment

G'day Gang,
                  I use both the Futaba TEX6 and the Futaba 8J and have never had reason to find fault with either unit.
                  I do tend to use the 8J as my number one transmitter with the TEX6 relegated to the simulator and buddy box duties.
                  The club of which I am a member has about 50/50 Futaba and Spektrum and we advise any new comers to go along that line as there will be people in the club with knowledge of these units.
                  I hate being called an expert on Futaba radios as it is not so, but I can find my way away the Futaba with relative ease. Not so the Spektrum but that is only because I do not have one.
                  Of course there is always one person who will go against the flow and one member purchased a radio that had no manual and none of us had any idea as to how to program it.
                  I eventually worked it out but it took hours instead of minutes.
                  If any of you are advising a new pilot, go for the Futaba or Spektrum [my preference is Futaba]. There will always be some one close by who can understand the radio for them.
                  One thing that has been mentioned, I stay away from the after market orange , lemon, pink, green, any of those cheapies with colours for names, receivers. I have seen too many planes heading for the deck with the pilot saying 'I have no control' while using these units.
                  Save a few dollars or save your much more expensive model?
                  I know the answer and so do you.
                  Regards and respect
                  Daryl

Comment

Another vote for Tactic. I have the 850 8 channel radio and for the price, you can't beat the bang for the buck. It is also easy to use.
                    Off with one helluva roar!
                    AMA 1085465

Comment

Roadrider4, I'd like to ask what is your RC experience?

You don't sound like a novice yet you appear to have had little exposure to higher end equipment.

Here is what I wrote on the subject a while ago but aimed at a second radio.

As you are asking for the "latest" Then it has to be software. And for that there is little than can compete with open sourcing
                      Aloft Hobbies offers top quality RC aircraft and radio gear with very reasonable pricing, fast shipping, and full service to backup our products. We are very loyal to our customers!

I just recently purchased a DX9 and Fr Sky TX. I will tell you I'm sorry I bought the DX9. My prior Spektrum radio was the DX7 (DSM2). The Spektrum radio and most of the Japanese radio have a programing structure that is rather confining. I've used them for the last 10 years or so for my sport model so I'm comfortable moving around in the menus.

Now the software in the Fr Sky Taranis plus is much closer to what we had with the great Multiplex radios. It is more object orientated not so confining as the Master/Slave concept we have with the Other brands.

Ergonomics is another concern. I really like the fit of the Multiplex EVO12 as it is a narrow hand held TX. I also like the tray style of radio like that of the Multiplex Profi 4000. It is still narrow and fits in the smaller hands well.

As to the RF links and protocols the new diversity antennas are working very well regardless of the brand.

Please do some research and come back with pointed questions, I and others would be happy to help.

All the best,
                      Konrad

Comment

I lost too many airplanes using Spektrum DSM2 technology (just Google brownout problems with Spektrum) and have never regretted the switch to Futaba (currently have the 14SG). I consider Spektrum to be the better marketing company and Futaba the better technology company. Don't want this to be a Ford vs. Chevy debate but I would hardly consider Spektrum to be the "new standard". You can certainly find cheaper equipment than Futaba (and I'm not saying they can't be good) but it also doesn't take too many plane losses to make up for the cost difference. When it comes to spending money, what can be more important than the control link between you and your RC plane? The old saying "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Bill

Comment

I've been using Futaba since 1967 and I haven't had a problem with any of the sets I have had. I had a Spectrum when they first came out and I had trouble with it. I know people who use Spectrum with no problem whatsoever. Hitec also make excellent radio, the Aurora 9 is great and will do anything that most flyers want in a radio.

Not everyone at Motion RC uses the same radio either. We have users of Futaba, Graupner, Hitec, JR and Spectrum. There may also be others, but these I know of.

​Martin

Comment

Have used Spektrum from the beginning... Not one single problem. I now use a DX6 and I absolutely love it! Doc

Comment

I lost one plane recently using a Speckrtum receiver, which was a first for me. I am mostly using a Futaba 14 SG. This is a real good radio and I have experienced no issues with it or receivers. I also have two Futaba 7C radios I need to get rid of as I have no use for them now. I used them for a while until I upgraded to the 14SG. Happy flying all.

Comment

vote for Tactic. SLT last year used the 650 and this season i just got the 850 nice radios for the price It is also easy to use

Comment

I'm a diehard Futaba guy for the past 40 years and all have been rock solid. I've been using two Futaba 7C radios for the past 7 years and I absolutely love them. I only fly genuine Futaba receivers. Last year I bought the 14SG and 18SZA and haven't even taken them out of the boxes yet. Saving them for a couple of big birds later this year. I own one Spektrum DX6i for my E-Flite BNF birds, no trouble so far but did experience a brownout with my buddies DX6 in Vegas, 18 months ago and it wasn't pretty. Thankfully, the plane was repaired and I flew it at another event with no issue.

I'm curious to know how many pilots were using aftermarket Orange and Lemon type receivers verse Spektrum receivers when the brownouts occurred. My buddies plane had an Orange receiver.

Comment

I will only use a like for like with the radio. Futaba TX and Futaba RX, in many case I use Futaba servos too.

Martin.

Comment

Our club seems to be mostly Spektrum, a few with Futaba and JR.

Comment

Working...
                                      X