X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyro on Mig29V1 ???

I have just built a Mig 29 and it is a handful. It is super jerky even with throws cut back by adjusting control arm-servo and turning my Dynam Transmitter Sensivity Knob back to nothing. My set up is not exponential....it is a cheapy Dynam transmitter with a "mixer" in line with servos...will an inexpensive gyro hooked into this setup take the wild jumpiness out? I would like to tame this Mig as inexpensively as possible and make it fun to fly. Right now..it is enough to send me to therapy!!ha!

Having no ability to set expo can be a limitation. You've already numbed the response by location of the rod on the servo arm (hole closer to center of arm for less sensitivity) and the control surface horn hole (farther from control surface for less sensitivity). This will mimic some expo.
    A cheap gyro like the A3-L HobbyEagle won't necessarily tame the jumpiness but it will help the center stick stability. Get the higher model of HobbyEagle like the A3 Super that has "auto balance" and you will have some "recovery" ability should the thing get too out of hand.
    I have the SebArt Mig 29 with thrust vectoring and the A3 has made it possible for me to do short hovers with it. Without, it would be way too twitchy. Even doing rolls are easier as it will solidly stop rolling as soon as the stick returns to center.

Comment

Thanx so much...Are you using a HobbyEagle A3 Super? Where did you get yours? Are there comparable cheaper subs? I have to try it as I have learned that one must "fly" the Mig at all times. It is not like my Hawksky where you can sit and watch it some. I am heavy thumbed because I am a semi beginner. This Mig is ULTRA sens and I have a tendency to overcorrect. If the gyro will jump in immed and buy me some time, maybe I could get the hang of it before I ruin the whole thing by driving in the ground. ha! Thanx for your comeback. Never do I have winds less than 10MPH out here in West Texas and it averages about 18MPH. A mild day here is almost unflyable after 10:00 AM in morn...that is when the winds start. I do have about an hour before dark in summer when they lay.

Comment

Comment

I'm using both the A3-L and the A3. The A3 Super is just a fancier A3 that can be programmed via an external card. You can buy them at MotionRC.
          Radio Controlled (RC) Airplane Gyros/Stabilizers Adding a gyro or stabilizer is a great way to expand the flight envelope of your RC airplane. A gyro can allow a plane to be flown in a bit more wind than normal, they can really help with preventing tip stalls, and they can assist in cross-wind landings.   We carry seve

I see by your picture that your Mig is a "profile" plane, pusher prop. I have a couple such planes myself. Usually, when these are twitchy like that, it's mostly because it's too tail heavy. Try moving the battery forward an inch at a time till it feels tamer.

Comment

Thanx Xviper for the information. I will try to tame the Mig. I do like the lines and especially it's ability to go straight up!! I have a Grayson's Hobby MegaJet III on it now and it is by far too much for me!! I should have stuck with the first motor I put on it. I am going all the way back to 2212-6 and maybe even a 6x3.5??? What do you think? Also I am going to try that gyro you suggested but first I am going to start more forward with the battery. Will keep you posted. Thanx

Comment

The Eagle Tree Guardian has what they call Direct Rate 3D mode and auto-level 2D mode. Direct Rate allows you to set the rotation rate for each axis, so that, at maximum command input, it will try to rotate the model at the chosen rate and, at 1/4 command, at 1/4 the chosen rate. I haven't used this in a while, but it does tend to tame a twitchy bird, especially if you set the rate a lot lower than what the model can do. You may then increase that rate as your skills catch up. Auto-level, of course, is for when you lose orientation, or want a smooth, wings-level landing. It also has Heading Hold, which will hold the current attitude when you release the sticks; only yaw direction in the auto-level mode, but any attitude in 3D.

Be warned - any gyro will mask an incipient stall, so keep your speed up, especially in turns.

Comment

Originally posted by trying2fly View Post
                Thanx Xviper for the information. I will try to tame the Mig. I do like the lines and especially it's ability to go straight up!! I have a Grayson's Hobby MegaJet III on it now and it is by far too much for me!! I should have stuck with the first motor I put on it. I am going all the way back to 2212-6 and maybe even a 6x3.5??? What do you think? Also I am going to try that gyro you suggested but first I am going to start more forward with the battery. Will keep you posted. Thanx
                There is one very simple way of reducing the output of a high powered system or at least a system that's too much for the plane for the time being, if you have a digital TX. You can reduce the throttle servo travel to a fraction of what it can do - say down to 75% or less. If you can't do this on the TX, then learn to not use all the throttle. Of course, you can also prop down as a second choice.
                I presume you made that plane at home from a few dollars of foam? There gets to a point where buying gyro gets to be monetarily unfeasible. If the cheapest one is within your justifiable level of expenditure, then do it. Gyros can get very expensive if you start getting too fancy.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post
                    The Eagle Tree Guardian has what they call Direct Rate 3D mode and auto-level 2D mode. Direct Rate allows you to set the rotation rate for each axis, so that, at maximum command input, it will try to rotate the model at the chosen rate and, at 1/4 command, at 1/4 the chosen rate. I haven't used this in a while, but it does tend to tame a twitchy bird, especially if you set the rate a lot lower than what the model can do. You may then increase that rate as your skills catch up. Auto-level, of course, is for when you lose orientation, or want a smooth, wings-level landing. It also has Heading Hold, which will hold the current attitude when you release the sticks; only yaw direction in the auto-level mode, but any attitude in 3D.

Be warned - any gyro will mask an incipient stall, so keep your speed up, especially in turns.
                    I am using a Dynam transmitter with a little cheap mixer. Will the Eagle Tree Guardian wire into mine somehow? Here is a wiring diagram I am using How would I wire it in? Could you draw me a diagram?
                    Attached Files

Comment

All the hook up data is here: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...&product_id=50
                      If you have a 3-position switch on your transmitter that you can mix to the rudder channel or gear channel, you can get all three modes. If only two positions, then you have to choose which two modes to use.

Comment

Working...
                      X