X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios?

After being out of the hobby for some 25 years, I got back into it last year. I bought a Walkera master cp which came with a devo 7 radio that works fine. The problem that I have is that it is not compatible with pretty much anything in the airplane world that is bind and fly. I want to purchase a new 6 to 8 ch, but with MRC offering so many choices it's hard to pick one. I was wondering if some of you kind folks could tell me which ones that you prefer and why. Thanks Trent

Re: Radios?

I have the Tactic 650 which is a 6 channel radio that also has 20 model memory storage. I also have the Tactic 600 which is not programmable but has 6 channels and is the radio I use all the time. You can not beat Tactic radios for price with extras. MotionRC sell Tactic brands. I have switched from Spektum brand to all Tactic. I have never had a binding issue or loss of signal using Tactic radios and receivers. If you are on a tight budget, as the vast majority of people are, and don't need more than 6 channels then Tactic is a great choice. They are highly rated by reviewers.

Comment

Greetings TChap,

I concur with what Baron has offered in information. I too have and use Tactic 650 and 600 TXs with 624 and 625 RXs. I have found both to be extremely reliable. Others may tell you differently (especially related to the 624 Rx) but that's why they make both vanilla and chocolate.

That being said, I also use the Spektrum line of radios which offer some wonderful options not available on some of the Tactic's, like switch speed programmability which allows you choose time/speed of retract deployment and retraction. Flaperon setting. They offer channel capacities 6 to 18 channels (although 4-6 channels is the most common) and much more. Heck, some even talk!! Features = $$$

My suggestion is to go to a club fly and just ask some of the pilots if you could simply hold their radio. Try as many different ones as you can. See which are most comfortable in YOUR hands, move the sticks (power off), where are the common switches located, is the display (if there is one) easily read in the sunlight? Do what your doing right now, ask questions. Just be prepared for a multitude of opinions and answers.

In the end, absorb what is useful, and disregard the rest.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
      in OKla.

Comment

I would agree with both Baron and Rocketeer. I use both the Tactic radios and Spektrum and really enjoy both of them. My favorite radio is probably my DX9 though. It has incredible model memory capability, and more programming features that I will ever use, but it is nice to have them just in case. I started with a DX6i, which I still have and use, but the 10 model memory got filled up pretty quickly. The Tactic 650 is also an excellent radio and if you are going to go with any of the Flyzone TxR models, then it is perfect, plus it has a 20 model memory. I have also been reading that Tactic is soon to be coming out with a new 8 channel radio with 30 model memory. All of these are very affordable, and receivers are easy to find at your LHS or on line. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you for all of the info. I went to tactics web sight and they say that the new 8ch will be out late summer. I think that as soon as MRC gets it in I'll try that one. Thanks Trent

Comment

Greetings Guy's

I had no idea about Tactic's proposed 8 channel, thanks.

It's awesome how we continue to learn a little something, everyday!!
            When we least expect it.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

Glad to help out. It will be the TTX850. Seems like I saw a preview of it in one of my RC magazines. More toys to look forward to!! :-)

Comment

I would have bet the farm that Tactic would soon produce an 8 channel radio. It will probably have more bells for less cost than its competition. At this point of my 3+ years of flying expertise 6 channels is more than enough for me. I am not a competition or stunt pilot. I just enjoy flying realistic looking warbirds and biplanes in a scale like fashion. Having too many channels and options would for me be like drinking water from a fire hose.

Comment

Greetings Baron,

Indeed, I'd really have to create some clever excuses to justify the purchase/need for more than 6 channels.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                  in Okla.

Comment

I was thinking 8ch for thrust vectoring or maybe some fpv functions in the future. I also cheat and use flight stabilization for take offs and landings which eats up a channel. Thanks again guys. Trent in western MA

Comment

OK, I'll be the one who'll Chevy-Ford the Tactics -- I loathed my experience with the one I've had. *LOL*

But I'll throw one on the fire for you to consider. For the money, and <i>potential</i>, I would strongly recommend you look into the Taranis. 16 channels, audible (& soon to be haptic) feedback & telemetry, ~unlimited model storage & mix combo's -- this thing just WOWs. It's a quality build, too. Downside is the ability to understand the programming language - Open Source (what makes it SO versatile) - but there's scads of help out there for that. I got one, love the feel of it, gimbals like oiled butter....I just simply don't have the time to learn it right now, what with a new JR 9503 in hand that'll meet my every present need.

They can be had for ~$185....I got mine with alum. case & other accy's for $250.
                      Accoutrements: I can get Taranis Rx's right now for $38 that'll do twice what my $130 Spektrums can.

IMO, Open Source holds THE most power in the world for future development - I think that is its major strength. One programmer on the Taranis board on RCG has his rigged so he can 'run' his whole home - lighting, environmentals, entertainment, security - sitting right there on his couch. If you want to look to the future, this one will be hard to beat.

For your consideration.
                      ~*

Comment

Just did some reading on the Taranis and you weren't kidding. WOW. I guess I'll have to throw that one in the product request section. I'm trying to find some negative things about it that aren't just opinion based, and I can't. Might have to give this one a try. As far as the complexity of the software, New England winters offer plenty of indoor time to figure that out. Thanks..

Comment

The last thing I personally would want to do is to learn programming a sophisticated radio just to enjoy casual flying. If in the future I get much more skillful then I would actually consider more than six channels. Maybe a 7th channel for a bomb drop would be interesting. If I still enjoy or am capable of flying in the future maybe then I will buy a "pro" radio. By then there will be an even bigger and better radio where you program it and then sit back drink a beer and watch it fly itself. Then you would talk to the noobs of the old days where you actually had to use your thumbs, eyesight and reflexes to bring that plane down in one piece.<smiley image="smiley_beam.gif"/>

Comment

Greetings,

Indeed! In my current realm within my personal RC kingdom I am content with 8 channel program capability and usually less.

While having huge transmitter capabilities would be nice, for me and I would think for many others, it would be like buying a Corvette just to go down the driveway and pick up the mail. I.e., a total waste.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                            In Okla.

Comment

Yes but why not buy the corvette when it cost the same as the cavalier?

Comment

@Baron & Rocketeer:
                                The gentleman asked for ideas & I offered him something I didn't see on the table. Then along come the two of you sounding like you're trying to talk him out of it - & I just don't understand that.
                                Am I 'crowding' your space? If so I'll leave, with no apologies.

Comment

Greetings ALL,

Please understand that this forum, in my humble opinion, is about conversation, no more no less.
                                  I am certainly not here to influence nor persuade anyone on/about anything. I'm also not foolish enough to believe that I even could.

When I share it is simply to share. When others share, I simply read their posts. We will not always agree and I don't believe we should always agree. That's how we learn. We share multiple view points on multiple subjects and in some cases, this allows us to make better informed decisions.

I am confident that most of the particpants on this forum are adults and VERY capable of taking the information offered, both pro and con, and use it to make their 'own' decisions based on their own research when necessary. Or not use it at all. That's the beauty of this medium!

Please, we cannot take offense to differing views. If we allow that to happen it will spread like a terminal illness, people will feel they must comply and not be comfortable with being allowed to be themselves or offer honest thoughts. In the end, rather than feel they must 'type' on eggshells, members will cease to contribute for fear of offending someone and the forum will eventually die.

This is a wonderful community. Let's respectfully protect it.

Just my two cents.

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                  in Okla.

Comment

StarHopper , Your idea for another radio "not on the table" is a good contribution. I comment only from my personal ability to have and or use a radio of that caliber. It certainly was not in any way meant to dissuade anyone away from that consideration. By all means if it suits an individual to have that kind of radio then they should get it and enjoy it. If I had a lot more experienced I certainly might consider it. I like Tactic products as it is a lot of value for the buck. Another may think it is not a quality brand and comment to that effect. I would not think anything about it as it is only their personal opinion and/or experience and I respect it.

Comment

Well OK maybe I mis-took the comments, & I'm too 'purpose-oriented' afa questions asked & answered, & commentary not belonging somewhere it's not asked, or something. There seemed to be something "dismissive" in the first & immediately following the "piling on" begins. Perhaps my normally thick skin has been worn thin by some of these boards I frequent? Mia culpa.

One thing, see....I too was once at a stage where I thought my li'l $26 HK6DF 6-ch would be all I'd ever need & I could fly with it forever. Until I crashed a couple of hot & twitchy planes because of no expo or D/R capabilities. Each cost more than the DX6i I graduated to. Both would (presumably) still be with me if I'd been thinking ahead. I see the Taranis as a quantum leap, and all things considered, a VERY inexpensive one.

Now, see how that's kinda startin' to lean 'Off Topic'?
                                      Peace, out.

Comment

RE: Radios?

Flyzone pulled its planes up "by the bootstraps" and they are great. It looks like they may be doing the same with their radios. I'm pretty much locked in on Spektrum, however. The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                        X