X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy pilots.

I've started making my own. For the most part, the ones for sale are too expensive, too heavy, and too ugly. I've made silicone molds of various style and size pilots. I cast the pilots from Alumilite casting foam. They are light as a feather, cost next to nothing, and I have the pleasure of painting them to look like a real human being. Doc

Nice verbal tease Doc...........now show us
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

+1 with WBC. Let's see some pics and hear some more about it.

Comment

Going to NJ for a while. It may be after Thanksgiving. Be glad to describe the whole process. It's the same way I made my bronze casting silicone rubber molds. Just pouring foam instead of wax. Doc

Comment

G'day Doc,
          For an awful moment I thought you were talking about me!!!
          I, too, would like to see some photos.
          Regards and respect
          Daryl

Comment

Hey!...I should make a self portrait! Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike View Post
              Hey!...I should make a self portrait! Doc
              Are you calling yourself a 'dummy pilot'?LOL:Devil:

Comment

When I wreck a plane, "dummy" isn't exactly what I call myself! Doc:Angry:

Comment

Sounds good in paper, lets see those works of art.

Comment

Could a 3 D printer be used to make dummy pilots?

Comment

Originally posted by corsair View Post
                      Could a 3 D printer be used to make dummy pilots?
                      Yes.

You could get a 3D photo of yourself and 3D print yourself to scale and put yourself in the airplane. Some 3D printers would even do it in color.
                      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

That would be impressive!! So how does one come up with a 3 D photo?

Comment

They are done with lasers and a camera that is mounted to do a full 360 round you.

Camera picks up the colors and the lasers get the dimensions.

Similar to the laser systems used in analyzing buildings.
                          Lead-8, Engineering Surveys & InteliBuild video on the benefits of laser scanning, point clouds & BIM. How owners, developers and architects can use scan-to...

Comment

Thank you for that info and the youtube vid was interesting. If one has it done, would one need to wear some type of glasses for eye protection to prevent any damage from the lasers as they are measuring?

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact procedure used now. One of the members of our club worked in developing one of the 3D scanning systems and just recently retired from being an Electrical/Electronics/Computer Engineer for AMD.

At a short visit to where he was working on developing the scanner, I got to see them scan someone's head. He just kept his eyes closed. Then a still photo eye's open gets the eye color. and a little editing to open the eyes on the 3D image.

Their 3D printer wasn't nearly as good as what you can buy for your desktop now... but it was a prototype that worked before anyone else was doing 3D printing.

Comment

I need a 1/24th scale F-105 pilot. FreeWing forgot mine!

Comment

Working...
                                X