You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would like to hear some ideas on how to re-attach the motor board to the fuselage

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to hear some ideas on how to re-attach the motor board to the fuselage

Hi Folks The motor boards on 2 of my favourite planes are coming loose. FW190, T28, both FMS 1400mm. In the past I have tried dumping glue down around the board. Sometimes it works but it never seems as good as the original as they work can loose again after a mishap or two. ( which of course shouldn't happen but does)

I would appreciate any advise or tips anyone has on how to repair these before I go out and spring for 2 new fuselages. At this rate I'd be buying a new one every 2 or 3 years. Not acceptable!

Thanks! Bluebird

I've had good success with using Foam-Tac, most other adhesives get brittle and don't hold long.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I also have had good luck with Foam Tac.

Comment

White Gorilla...............for a motor mount I prefer to have it a little more rigid than what the Foam-Tac will give plus the Gorilla will expand into all the little crevices and voids created by the accident.
        I love Foam-Tac where I want some flexibility/elasticity on the mended parted for shock/shear forces
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I use both glues to hold things, Foam-tac for tight fit and white GG for gaps and for holding things like gear plates and other mounts that rely on the foam to hold them in place, it expands into places and holds well to the foam around it
          AMA 424553

Comment

Thanks guys for your help. Yes I have used Foam Tack before but not on a motor board. It is good stuff though. On the motor boards I've used Foam2Foam which is my go to glue normally. Today though I tried the White Gorilla glue , mainly because of its expanding qualities.

I really like what I see so far. The whiteGG has expanded at both ends of the M board and made a nice ridge, locking the thing from moving for & aft. I also found a way to put 2 screws in down through the back of the M board and into the plastic box which holds the forward retract in the T 28. These will lock it as well.

It's great to have such a wealth of knowledge available to us on Hobby Squawk.

Thanks again! Bluebird

Comment

I do another trick with the Gorilla glue, I sit and wait for it to start expanding and then pop the bubbles as they form, when it is just about done I flatten it out and push it below the surface so that I can come back and fill with light weight joint compound made by Dep. Give it a try.:)
              AMA 424553

Comment

I did actually use my fingers to mold the GG into a nice uniform shape towards the end when it was still flexible. Good idea about the Dep joint compound. Seems we could turn this repair job into a really professional looking piece of work.

This gives me hope for some of the other projects I have.

Thanks for the tip. Bluebird

Comment

Working...
                X