X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prop balancing

I never thought sanding, grinding, and cutting on props was a very good idea. Besides, it doesn't work well. I use my handy dandy Dubro balancer and Scotch vinyl tape. I find the lighter blade and apply a piece of tape to the back at the tip. At first, I leave the tape sticking out a bit so it's easy to remove. I then can cut, with sissors, some off if it's too heavy. Cut n try. If the blade is too light, I add another piece to the back of the first piece. Sometimes, a prop will balance horizontally, but try to stay that way. I place a small strip of tape on the high edge of both blades, near the hub. Placing tape on the high side of the hub doesn't work well. You can balance a prop perfectly this way. I have never had the tape fly off, even on my 40,000 RPM Funjet! Always balance your props!!! New props almost always have mold flashing. I remove this, before balancing, with 400 grit wet dry sand paper. Have fun! The Doctor

RE: prop balancing

The Dubro balancer I ordered this weekend, should be arriving soon. So for the first time, I'm going to start balancing my props. I was aware of how a balanced prop is important. But being new at this, and, I didn't notice any significant vibration on my planes I purchased this year as I started my new hobby. BUT, last week I dinged a prop on my 1100mm P-51(darn thick/long grass) during a nose over. I replaced the prop with a new one before taking her up again. And in doing so, I did a throttle up while holding the fuselage with the new prop. And wow, there was significant vibration. So much, I decided to not fly her. I took the prop off and run the motor with the spinner....smooth a silk. So I'm anxious to use the balancer later this week.
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Greetings Guy's

A quick question..........

Do you guys balance the typically flimsy/brittle factory provided props or remove them and install better quailty props you've prepaired in advance?

Just curious. I've done both but, thats just me.

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketeer
        Greetings Guy's

Do you guys balance the typically flimsy/brittle factory provided props or remove them and install better quailty props you've prepaired in advance?

Bill L.
        in Okla.
        I check the balance of ALL props before flying any of them. Sometimes, dipping the light end in a paint jar is adequate, sometimes filing/sanding is needed. I fly my Dynam Trojan with the props made for it (albeit, on a 4S battery), and always keep a balanced spare, in case a blade gets damaged.

Comment

Greetings Wintrsol,

Thanks. I was mostly wondering if guys who take the time to balance there owns were using the factory props at all.
          I see no reason to waist a certainly usable prop especially if one is willing to balance it.

Thanks again

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketeer   I almost always replace stock props with a Windsor prop. They are, in my never so humble opinion, the very best. The Doctor
            Greetings Guy's

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

I also use the Dubro balancer & ALWAYS balance my props....stock or replacement. Yup....Scotch Tape.

Denny
              *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
              *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

Originally posted by yorkiepap     Scotch VINYL tape. Thanks, The Doctor
                I also use the Dubro balancer & ALWAYS balance my props....stock or replacement. Yup....Scotch Tape.

Denny

Comment

Greetings,

The Dubro Balancer is indeed a wise decision.
                  I have a few friends who have purchased them but, hardly if ever, put them to use.

Bill L.
                  in Okla.

Comment

After having the vibration I experienced like never before. And plans to upgrade esc and battery. I'm going to use the balancer(USPS tracker says delivery tomorrow). And it's not like there will be pressure to load up and go fly with this winter weather we're having now, and skip the balancing.
                    Lon

Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

"I have bought literally hundreds of props, and have NEVER gotten one that was perfectly balanced right out of the bag."
                      I've said that for many years....but this summer that changed when I pulled one of a pair out of an APC bag & it was perfectly balanced -- the first one, ever. But if we can forgive that one 'oddball', I think the other numbers purt' much say what's to be said about the situation - namely that new props, despite mfr claims, just don't come perfectly balanced. Many close to it, but not perfect....and I want perfection.

My philosophy is, how are you gonna know one's balanced or not UNLESS you put it on a balancer? And once you've GOT it on a balancer....why wouldn't you go ahead & balance it? Right? Kinda Duh!?

Comment

Originally posted by StarHopper,Reading your post brought back a memory/experience...Since the age of 16, I have owned a 4cyl Honda motorcycle.  They ran great and loved the performance.  I had read and been told, that synchronizing the 4 carbs was very important in how the engine performed.  I eventually purchase the equipment to balance(synch) the carbs.  Wow! DUH! What a difference it made.  Thinking I will have that moment again with balancing of props.
                        "I have bought literally hundreds of props, and have NEVER gotten one that was perfectly balanced right out of the bag."
                        I've said that for many years....but this summer that changed when I pulled one of a pair out of an APC bag & it was perfectly balanced -- the first one, ever. But if we can forgive that one 'oddball', I think the other numbers purt' much say what's to be said about the situation - namely that new props, despite mfr claims, just don't come perfectly balanced. Many close to it, but not perfect....and I want perfection.  

My philosophy is, how are you gonna know one's balanced or not UNLESS you put it on a balancer?  And once you've GOT it on a balancer....why wouldn't you go ahead & balance it?  Right? Kinda Duh!?
                        Lon

Comment

There is actually no such thing as " ready to fly". Some people think they can just take a plane out of the box and fly it. A unbalanced prop will ruin motor bearings and, if bad enough, shake things loose, and interfere with reception. At the least, do a static runup to see if the plane viberates. The Doctor

Comment

Prop balancer arrived today. Did a power up with the prop to refresh my memory of vibration. Then took the prop off and balanced it.  Put it back on and powered it up.  Boy oh boy, what a difference!!  Silky smooth... :)

Oh, and did the spinner too! (it took just a little to balance)
                            Lon

Comment

Working...
                            X