Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting wire

I am terrible at soldering!
    Now with that said. I'm looking at upgrading my ESC. The ESC I want to get has 4mm bullet connectors to the motor. The motor I will be connecting to has 3mm bullet connector. To avoid trying to solder new matching bullet connectors.  I had the thought of buying motor extension leads with 4mm bullet connectors, cut the 3mm off of the motor leads, and use butt connectors to connect the 4mm bullet connectors.  Would the use of butt connectors be a issue instead of soldering????  Or, is there someplace that sells adapters to go from 4mm to 3mm bullet connectors?
    Thanks.
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

RE: Connecting wire

Originally posted by Lon
    I am terrible at soldering!
    Now with that said. I'm looking at upgrading my ESC. The ESC I want to get has 4mm bullet connectors to the motor. The motor I will be connecting to has 3mm bullet connector. To avoid trying to solder new matching bullet connectors.  I had the thought of buying motor extension leads with 4mm bullet connectors, cut the 3mm off of the motor leads, and use butt connectors to connect the 4mm bullet connectors.  Would the use of butt connectors be a issue instead of soldering????  Or, is there someplace that sells adapters to go from 4mm to 3mm bullet connectors?
    Thanks.
    At the high currents, I wouldn't recommend them. While a well-made crimp can be as good as, or superior to, a solder connection, you have to use tools calibrated for the wire gauge and connector. If you don't have that, it is very unlikely you will have a crimp good enough to survive the environment. Good soldering of heavier gauge wires requires an iron with a fat tip, some flux on the wire, and practice. It helps to have a coach to guide you, but many learn the skill without one.

Comment

Greetings Lon,

I have been teaching electronics and soldering for over 20 years and I would be happy to make a house call if our locations were closer.
      I will agree with Wintrsol, a butt splice, even a good one, will not hold up or provide the level of current transfer over the long haul and in the end you'll either end up soldering anyway or wish you had.

There are many decent videos on Youtube that provide good tutorials covering the appropriate steps and processes for soldering various bullet connectors.
      I know I don't have to tell you that developing good soldering skills through patience and practice go hand in hand with RC hobbying as well as general house-hold electronic and electrical tasks and is a skill set that will pay huge devidends once you've become comfortable with it.

Best of luck,

Bill L.
      in Okla.

Comment

Bill & Wintrsol,

Thanks for your informative input.  It's very appreciated. I'm going to dig out my soldering equipment and try to sharpen my skills this weekend.

Lon
        Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
        Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Greetings Lon,

You Da Man!!!! Good Luck!!!

Bill L.
          in Okla.

Comment

Originally posted by Lon
            Bill & Wintrsol,

Thanks for your informative input.  It's very appreciated. I'm going to dig out my soldering equipment and try to sharpen my skills this weekend.

Lon
            If your iron has a replaceable tip, use the largest one that will fit - large wires need a lot of heat transfer, and the larger the tip, the faster that can take place.

Comment

Working...
            X