You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model Paint Jar Coverage Area? (Testor or Tamiya)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Paint Jar Coverage Area? (Testor or Tamiya)

Hey All.

I'm curious if anyone knows the typical coverage area of a small tamiya or testor jar (10mL / 14mL), or if anyone has an example of how many jars they needed to repaint one of their planes. I'm waffling between either color matching latex paint to do my FW A-10 in the lizard scheme, or to just stick with model master acrylics for this one. I want to try to get a feeler of what the total cost would be for the repaint with the model paints as well as plan my purchase so I don't have to do multiple trips from running out mid-painting.

Hello DirtyD,
    When I did the Artic Camo on the A-10 I used approx. 4oz of paint.
    4 oz is equiv to 8-11 jars Tamiya/testors depending on the jar size.
    A 4 oz sample from HD/Lowes is about $4 whereas the same amount for Testors is $25-30.
    To me it is a no brainer ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

That's actually not as bad as I thought. I'd have to pick up 3 sample jars from HD for the scheme, so the price difference isn't all that horrible. Though I definitely agree ounce-for-ounce sample jars are a pretty good deal!

Comment

Posting my results after doing the European I scheme on the FW A-10. I used the 1/2oz model master acrylic jars:

(2) Euro I Gray FS36081
        (3) Medium Green FS34102
        (4) Euro I Dark Green FS34092

4.5 oz total.

Comment

Working...
        X