X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting MonoKote/UltraKote

I just bought a Phoenix Westland Lysander ARF which is the Canadian version, silver. I prefer the British camo version. I did some experimenting with spray paint on UltraKote. It scratches off with a fingernail. I finally realized that I always use Varathane W.B. satin clearcoat for a primer on my foamies. I tried it on the UltraKote and WOW!, the spray paint is PERMANENT! Nothing short of a pocket knife will scratch it. Doc

That is excellent information! I've been struggling with painting monokote effectively. Thanks for passing this along, Doc.

Comment

Preparation and the proper paint are required for Monokote.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!

Wear nitryl gloves. No fingerprints! fingerprints make "fish eyes"

First go over it with windex and a green scrubby pad.
      Wipe that off with damp paper towels.
      Then go over it with paper towels dampened with acetone.

The best paint for Monokote is Lusterkote.
      I have found no equivalent.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I wiped it down with 91% alcohol on a paper towel, that's all, and it worked great. The Varathane adhered perfectly. No fine sanding needed. Lusterkote is the best, however, Rustoleum painters touch is what I used and, as I said, it will not scratch off. Doc

Comment

I've painted many. I always start with an overall scuffing with 0000 steel wool (very very fine). Then a wipedown with IPA or acetone. Then wipedown with a tack cloth right before paint. Lay on mist coats until desired finish. No heavy coats. I've use Lusterkote, Rustoleum, Krylon, Testors, ModelMasters and other off the shelf rattle can brands.

Comment

The colors I need are only in satin. I want the camo to be flat. I'm thinking, maybe a Soft Scrub rub down might flatten the paint. Any suggestions? Thanks, Doc

Comment

Hit it with a clear matte finish as the last coat after you've applied all your markings.

Comment

Yep, what Prowler said. Flat, matt, satin...what ever you need it to be. Both green shades on this one were gloss before hitting with matt clear.

Comment

Yeah, I always finish with a W.B. Varathane clear coat, however, they don't make a matt C.C. I guess I'll have to revert to Minwax clear matt. Maybe Varathane first for flexibility, then a coat of Minwax matt. Doc

Comment

Working...
                  X