X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motor data for noobs

When I began using electric power those specs for the engine did not resonate with me at all. What do those numbers mean? So for you electric noobs, like me, when you see an engine with the following example of : 4035 850 KV outrunner it means the following: the first two numbers, 40 is the diameter of the motor in mm and the 35 is the length of the motor in mm. Outrunner means that the motor's rotation can be viewed on the outside and if it is an inrunner the rotating motor is not viewable. The kv is not what we thought as kilovolts but refers to the rpms of the motor. In the above example this engine will do 850 rpms for every volt it recieves. Sometimes an electic motor is just listed as 10e or 25e that just means that a 10e would be the equal of a .10 Nitro engine and a 25e is equal to a .25 Nitro motor.

Re: Electric motor data for noobs

yeah, alot of the electric motor stuff can get confusing !

Comment

Good stuff. Even for someone like me who's been in the hobby long enough, I still shake my head at all the data there is out there to digest. Thanks for breaking it down.
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

What would be REALLY nice would be for someone with experience to do the conversions to ONE simple number so comparisons would be instantly recognized. Virtually all of us started with planes that had 'Park" numbers assigned to them like 180, 370, or 480. That would be a quick reference for anyone.

Comment

<quote author="Baron">
          ... when you see an engine with the following example of : 4035 850 KV outrunner it means the following: the first two numbers, 40 is the diameter of the motor in mm and the 35 is the length of the motor in mm. ...</quote>
          Not necessarily -- in some cases the numbers refer to the dia. & length of the stator portion, ie the 'guts' inside. Much is dependent on the individual mfr & their 'system'. Some even designate the number of turns of wire, eg a '/6' at the end corresponds to 6 turns.
          I think the only concensus is, it can be very confusing at times. And I honestly believe some try to make it as confusing as possible, trying to keep customers 'proprietarily connected' if you catch my drift.

Comment

DANG, I wish there was more help out there like this for newbs. good stuff man. Like building a plane from kit for the first time.

Comment

It was much easier in the nitro days... "cubic inches is cubic inches"....

Good gouge! <smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

Comment

Working...
              X